PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 / XV6800
Carrier: Sprint / Verizo

randy.andrade is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: face in clip holster will tmobile work for sprint / where are they for sprint?

First post, mostly a lurker, but I caught the comment about the Verizon holster earlier today.

I checked out Verizon's website and found the holster, so I knew they existed and looked half-decent, so while out & about today, I hit a VZW store. Neither Best Buy, nor the corporate Sprint Store, nor the little cheap-o mobile kiosk in the mall had any cases, nor accessories at all, for the TP2. I knew no-one would be carrying the actual phone, but I thought for sure they'd be selling accessories. I was pretty bummed, although I gotta say, finding the Class 4 PNY 8GB MicroSDHC on sale from $45 to $25 at BestBuy +did+ make the stop at the mall worthwhile.

In any case, I popped across the street to the Verizon stand-alone store, and THEY didn't have anything out, either. I knew Sprint did the TP2 as web-only, but for some reason I thought Verizon & T-Mobile both carried the phones in-store. Guess I was wrong. Meh.

I was on my way out (the store was busyish, and I looked through every display they had) when the Greeter, who also happened to be the store manager, asked if she could help me with anything. I asked if they had the TP2, or any accessories. She apologized, and said that it was a web-only item, but asked what, specifically, I was looking for. I told her I was curious about the holster for it, and she cautiously offered to check her stock, and was surprised to find the computer reported having exactly +1+ in stock. She disappeared for a few minutes and came back with the holster, asking if I had the phone with me. I did, and we did a test-fit.. it was perfect.

The holster is set up like the plastic-holsters that used to come with the Motorola Nextel's i8xx's and i9xx's, right when they changed the internal LCDs to colour screens.

And yes, to answer the question that's been asked, the phone LCD faces inward, covered & protected by the plastic holster.

It's a pretty snug fit (properly snug, not over-tight), so I think the only type of additional protection you might be able to use on the phone is one of those all-around skins that look like nothing more than a screen-protector for the whole phone; anything thicker than that paper-thin layer, and I don't think you'd be able to use the holster at all.

Although I've only had it for a couple hours, I absolutely love it. The belt-clip feels solid, and has a small hook on the inside, so if you put it on a belt or strap, it's not likely to slide off; the clip also rotates 90 degrees each side of vertical, with 7 notched positions total. The "outside" of the holster has a slightly rubberized or velvety feel to it, while the "inside" that faces the phone feels completely smooth, although both have a matte finish. The holster is designed very well for the phone, all of the exterior buttons and plugs are easily accessible, although the bottom corner piece comes up just high enough to make sure your stylus can't accidentally fall out. The top, "clip" part, of the holster is also notched around the recessed power button, and there's a hole cut-out on the screen-facing side for the speaker, so as not to muffle any sound that may come out (Means I still clearly heard my text-message chirping standing in the kitchen, despite my TP2 being in the holster on the sofa in the living room).

I really only have two gripes about the holster, and neither one is terribly major.

I wish the sides came all the way up to the top to protect the entire face of the phone; instead, the sides come about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up the sides of the phone, and then have an odd-looking arc shape up to the clip in the top center, leaving either top-corner of the phone screen exposed. I imagine that for most people that's not a terribly big deal, since if you use the holster on a belt, or at your waist, the phone's face would be against your body; I, however, tend to prefer this style of holster, but I usually wear it in my front-pants pocket, with the phone in my pocket, and the clip on the outside of the pocket. Therein lies the reason for my slight concern. With the top of the phone possibly peaking out of the pocket, having the phone facing +away+ from my body, it's possible it could get exposed to damage that could have been prevented if the holster-back was full-height. On the other hand, the likelihood of that is fairly slim, since that means that whatever damaged the phone would have to basically be touching +me+ the same way it was touching the phone, and I think I'd be likely to notice that before it happens.

My second minor gripe is that the top-clip part that clips over the phone to hold it in place isn't a separate, hinged clip. It's a molded continuation of the back of the holster. This can be a mixed blessing, since it means that you don't have a hinge to wear out / snap off, but it means that if you +do+ accidentally stress the clip, you're likely to put a crack through the whole holster.

Then again, maybe I'm being too picky, considering the thing only cost $20.

I've included some pictures I just snapped. They should be good for illustrating how the thing fits ON a Sprint TP2. I apologize for the last one, the clip-detail. It's a bit blurry. Looks like my autofocus was fine as long as the phone was on the floor, but it didn't like having it floating mid-air. Bah. The camera battery's dead now, but charging. If anyone wants a better close-up of the clip showing the cut-outs for the power-button and front-speaker let me know, and I may post them later.

x.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Face-Up.jpg (220.4 KB, 52 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Face-Down.jpg (111.5 KB, 41 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Left-Side-Up.jpg (117.1 KB, 44 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Right-Side-Up.jpg (96.6 KB, 32 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Belt-Clip-Turned.jpg (110.4 KB, 40 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Clip-Detail.jpg (33.4 KB, 40 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by randy.andrade; 10-25-2009 at 07:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.
Carrier: Verizon

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB
Re: face in clip holster will tmobile work for sprint / where are they for sprint?

Randy my friend , you are a huge asset to the Geek community , you really should post more often

Thank you greatly for the story and the included pics. I will be ordering one of these first thing in the am. Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Very informative 1st post, nice write bro!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

darylrue is a n00b

The only thing about seidio that I don't like is that the hijack you on price because they are always the first out with stuff. If they would drop prices by 40% or so I would spend alot more there. however I need battery life and and quick access to phone so for that I am a happy they understand that versus the rest of the world.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 Customized
Carrier: SPRINT

dallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good work

Accessories Verizon Online
Item Qty 1
Swivel Holster - regularly $19.99

$14.99

Promotion: CAS15
-$2.25

Promotional code: CAS15 promotion has been applied, total savings $2.25

Shipping Option
Overnight Shipping - Free

Tax
$1.06 Total Due Today (after promotional savings)
(amount will be charged to your credit card)

$13.80

Last edited by dallastx; 10-26-2009 at 05:02 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

cd85233 is becoming a great contributor

Old thread, but was wondering if anyone has bought from here.
http://www.thecellguru.com/Products/22217

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2