PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

rocksthaman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love my TP2 But dont know how to properly use it . Answers please

What is a Cab ?
Where do I get them ?
Where do i install them ?
What do i need to know to customize?
How do i change the theme (color schemes) ?
Any other " duh" type things i need to know ?

Sorry guys if these are dumb Questions but the iPhone made me more stupid by the day.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: I love my TP2 But dont know how to properly use it . Answers please

-Cabs are installation programs on Windows Mobile.
-They can be grabbed from a number of places, including here, xda-developers.com, windows mobile marketplace, and various other sources.
-You usually drag the Cab file to your phone while it is connected to activesync or windows mobile device center. My computer>My Device (or device name depending), then use File Explorer on your phone to navigate to the cab file, and tap to install. From there you usually get a choice of where to install it; Device or Storage Card. I would choose Storage Card for small apps and/or apps that won't run in the background all the time. Apps that require serial numbers or apps that run upon start up I would install to Device.
-You don't need to customize anything. It's all personal preference. I would advise you to use your phone for a few days and anything you dislike or would like to change after that, has already probably been done and a quick search here or xda will yield you results.
-Changing color schemes is fairly easy. There are a number of ways to accomplish this. A program called UI Tweaker by Vicsoft can change colors and it's free. Second and probably most common among members on this site is to download "TSK" files and apply them with within settings>today. Tsk need to be stored in the Windows directory on your phone for them work properly.
-Read any stickies and browse the customization forums a lot to gather more information.

Last edited by freeza; 10-16-2009 at 03:24 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Telus

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksthaman View Post
What is a Cab ?
Where do I get them ?
Where do i install them ?
What do i need to know to customize?
How do i change the theme (color schemes) ?
Any other " duh" type things i need to know ?

Sorry guys if these are dumb Questions but the iPhone made me more stupid by the day.
What is a Cab ? Think of an exe file on your PC, the do the installing of software on your device
Where do I get them ? Where ever they may lay, this site and others like it.
Where do i install them ? Transfer the cab file to your ppc, install to the SD Card or the phones internal memory, whatever you like
What do i need to know to customize? Start here and here
How do i change the theme (color schemes) ? Look above
Any other " duh" type things i need to know ? Search is your friend

There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you knew the answers you would not have asked

Last edited by O'Neil Mitchell; 10-16-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Sprint

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

cab is a cabinet file. idk how exactly to explain it, but it installs various programs onto your phone. Usually you just open it and it does all the work. You get them by downloading them. People generally post them here. Install them either by using ActiveSync to transfer them, or what I do is download it to my PC, then email it to myself. And I have my email account on my phone, so I just download it there. As far as customizing, that depends on what you want
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Carrier: Verizon

BradP is a n00b

A good tip - Visit this site regularly (daily?). I have just purchased my TP2 a few weeks ago, this is my first PPC, and this site has been great. Read through the posts, they will answer so many questoins. The folks here have been very helpful. I have not posted often, but I have read much, and the information you will get here is top notch!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 is my first wm phone
Carrier: VERIZON

lw00d is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlw00d is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlw00d is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

go here.. this is what i read. to learn about WM phones.
http://pocketpccentral.net/help/tutorials.htm
welcome.. to WM phone.. this is my first WM phone and im loving it...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2