PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

gbruyn is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon TP2 Exchange Server Sync Issues

I have VZW TP2 and I use an exchange server to sync my email, contacts, calendars and tasks across my mobile phone, desktop and laptop.

For some reason, on this phone, it doesn't update certain things that I've done of my desktop or laptop for a while. I even manually go into active sync and click "sync now" and it doesn't update.

For example, if I'm on my desktop or laptop and I delete a message in my inbox, it won't update on my phone until it receives another message. Even if I click "send & recieve" in Outlook on my desktop/laptop and then manually click sync on my TP2, the email won't dissapear until another message is received. Also, today I deleted a calendar appointment on my laptop (which was for today) and even after many syncs on both my laptop outlook and on my TP2 via active sync/send recieve etc, the appointment is still showing up on the homepage screen and in my calender.

Anyone ideas?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Marty is becoming a great contributor
Re: Verizon TP2 Exchange Server Sync Issues

I've had similar issues on my Sprint TP2. What I've noticed is that altering the email in some way on both the phone and on the desktop/laptop results in the behavior you described. So for instance, say an email comes in and I read it on the TP2 but don't delete it. Then on the desktop, I delete the email (so I've now done something to this same email on both phone and desktop). Now I will do a manual send/receive on the desktop just to make sure the change is synced to the server. Now I do a send/receive on the TP2 and the email is still there in the inbox, it won't go away until I get some other update (new email, etc) from the exchange server. OTOH, if I take the same situation but this time I don't read the email on my phone (i.e. I don't touch it, just leave it as unread), and I've already deleted the email on the desktop/server, then doing a sync will remove the email from the TP's inbox. And the opposite is true as well, delete from phone, don't touch it on the desktop, sync the phone, and email disappears on the desktop (just as it should). Bottom line for me is that it appears altering/changing/touching an email on both phone and desktop causes an issue that isn't resolved until a new email comes in (or something similar). I've been using Exchanage and WM devices for several years now and never had this issue before so I'm inclined to think its something to do specifically with the TP2 and/or its particular build of WM6.1.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

This is just a quirky timing issue of how Exchange connections work... desktop Outlook connections are usually "cached" which means that once you make a change on the server side, it stores the changes for either a timely sync-up to the server or until it has a bulk of changes to make at once. It's usually not very long (usually seconds to a minute), but sometimes on slow server connections (remote from home for example) it can take up to 5 minutes. At that point, then your phone will pick up the changes with the server as well.

This is true even while "Push" features are enabled, although obviously important events like new messages trigger quicker action by their own design.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

ac520 is just getting started

I am not experiencing these issues. I have run through the same steps as gbruyn and when I have ActiveSync "connected" (i.e. Sync schedule set to "As items arrive") the changes replicate within 10 seconds. Regardless of which device (TP2 or Computer) first modifies the object (email, calendar event, contact, etc.) or which device deletes the object, the action\change always replicates to the other device within seconds. The only exception to this seems to be when I Delete a calendar appointment from Outlook on my Computer it is not removed from my TP2 until some other change occurs such as adding a new appointment from either the TP2 or Computer or manually initiation a Sync from the TP2 or receiving a new email, however, once that happens, the appointment is removed from my PT2.

What version of Exchange are you on?
I am currently on Exchange 2007 SP1 but did not have any of these issues when I was on Exchange 2003.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

WickedWyrm is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2_T7379)

I'm having the same problems with exchange 2003

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2