PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

david7586 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does Google Latitude AFLT (AGPS) Work?

Does Google Maps allows for use of the "my location" feature using ONLY A-GPS like the palm treo pro or palm centro? I do use the background location updating and I do appreciate the fast general location clouds created from AGPS as opposed to waiting for GPS to lock on OR being indoors without any line of sight to the sky.

This is actually one of teh features i would like to confirm before purchasing.

thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

banzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to banzaiwolfe
Re: Does Google Latitude AFLT (AGPS) Work?

The "My Location" feature does work on this phone without the GPS being turned on. I was actually surprised by it since it never worked on my TP1.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro
Threadstarter

david7586 is a n00b

so by even following the instructions in the sticky thread about modifying your GPS settings, one is still not able to enable the AFLT?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by david7586 View Post
so by even following the instructions in the sticky thread about modifying your GPS settings, one is still not able to enable the AFLT?
AFLT has nothing, zero, zilch to do with GPS. Modifying any GPS has no effect on it.

Either way, it's a moot point as the post above yours correctly notes on at leas the Sprint TP2, AFLT does work with Google Maps. You just touch the blue-dot and it works, no configuration needed.

Sprint Treo Pro and Snap also have this enabled--it's safe to assume that all HTC products on Sprint will have this by default.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6850
Carrier: Verizon

jasoraso is just getting started

I don't know what AFLT is, but I can confirm that BEFORE the GPS has a lock, the "locate me" feature of Google maps / latitude is functional ... it shows your approximate location with a light blue circle overlay showing the "margin of error" ... it usually encompasses several blocks ... then when the GPS obtains a lock, the light blue circle goes away.

I can also confirm that it appears to function in the background i.e. if you exit google maps when latitude has been running, it will ask if you wish latitude to continue running - and it appears to do so ...

As the previous poster mentioned, this is in contrast to the TP1 which didn't have the approximate location based on cell towers - even after Verizon unlocked the GPS in the MR1 update.
hope this helps

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2