PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 03:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

bajungadustin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb [How To] Remote Desktop to a Vista Home Basic or Premium OS

I know some of you are going to say this is in the wrong thread but hear me out. Simply put... you cant use your TP2 remote desktop connection to a Vista Home OS. I hope to fix this.

The overall outcome should be Getting a TP2 to connect TO a Vista Home Premium or Basic computer (because these two OS's are not made for this out of the box)

I am in the process of getting this to work and i figured i would post the first major step the took me about 8 days to figure out and that way people can go from there and see if they can get it to work.

First off Vista Home Basic or Premium is not made to act as a host for RDP (or remote desktop protocol) So you need to fix that.

Go here: http://andrewblock.net/?p=411&cpage=2#comment-6584

Then find the version that suits your setup.. you need a specific version of this program that also depends on what service pack you have installed and whether you are running 32 bit or 64 bit.

Download the file and find the corisponding OS in the zip file (basic, premium, ultimate) and right click it and run as administrator.

A command prompt should pop up and look like this.

If you are running a media extender service or other similar service it will temporarily need to stop them in order to continue. Push Y to continue.

Then it will say starting terminal services after it pauses for 5 seconds you should see what is above in the picture. and what you are looking for is for the service to be "Listening."

If the service is NOT listening double check and make sure you got the correct version. i clicked the wrong one first and it didnt work and did it over and it worked perfectly.

Thats it! Your Vista can now act as a RDP Host. Set yourself up a static IP (more info here http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm )
and forward port 3389 to your new statc IP (more info here http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm and then select your router)

Then go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ if you dont know your External IP and type that in when the other computer asks for your Computer Name. type in the IP hit connect and you should get a windows logon box.

IF you didnt get a windows log on box try to disable your firewall real quick on the computer you are trying to take control of and try it again. if it works now then you need to add exceptions to your firewall when you turn it back on.

If you are still having issues and cant connect go here http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and where it asks for a port number enter 3389 and click check.

IF it is Closed then your router is not forwarding the ports correctly
IF it is Open then your port is open and getting through your firewall. and wither your command prompt didnt say listening or you have a problem i dont know how to fix and i direct you to http://andrewblock.net/?p=411&cpage=2#comment-6584 to spool through there comments to see if you cant find a solution.

Now... that i have told you how to accomplish that.. i am stuck here.. by all rights if my lap top can remote desktop connect to my PC then my TP2 should be able to. UNLESS, the normal settings page for Remote connections is missing (even though its working) and the ability to check the option to "allow ANY version of remote desktop to connect to this computer" is not possible. This would in theory explain why my Laptop could connect but not windows mobile. Different versions of Remote Desktop. So it sounds like a registry tweak is needed. I do not know enough about the registry to "trouble shoot" it. making changes is easy enough.

So i need you guys to help here. If you have a TP2 and Vista Home try and get Remote Desktop running. If you can post here what you did. If you can's post where you are stuck and we can try to catch you up. And anyone out there with regitry editing exp please chime in if what i am trying to do can be done in the registry.

I plan on making a more formal "how to guide" on this after i can get past this step.. this is a rough draft to get people where i am in hopes that someone else can get past it.

Thanks for your time

Bajungadustin

Last edited by bajungadustin; 09-26-2009 at 01:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

bajungadustin is a n00b
Re: [How To] Remote Desktop to a Vista Home Basic or Premium OS

If anyone runs into problems trying to pull this off let me know and ill tell you hhat to look for. This is mostly for beginners, and the next guide when i get done will be way more detailed.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: vzw

crunchyfox is a n00b

can't you use hamachi and vnc to do pretty much what your describing above?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=92541
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

Have you successfully connected to that machine from a non vista/7 pc? that might be a good place to start. If you dont have one you can pm me with the ip and i will try for you. no need for user/pw, connecting should be enough to rule things out.

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

AngeloUCF is a n00b

I finally got this working from my TP2.

What I did this time around that I didn't do on the first try was setup the static ip in 2 places in the router settings.

1. As a virtual server with port 3389
2. Also within the DHCP server setup.

Originally I only setup the virtual server and assigned it in the windows network sharing center. Not sure if the additional setup is required, but it's working.

And for anyone with Home Premium x86 SP2, I used the SP1 hack and it worked fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Turnkeys is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfox View Post
can't you use hamachi and vnc to do pretty much what your describing above?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=92541
I tried hamachi a couple years ago on my mogul, never got it to fully connect. However LogMeIn has worked very well, the basic version is free.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

AngeloUCF is a n00b

Did you get this working yet or what?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2