PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

efunk33 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone know how to KEEP all your emails from Gmail??

I can download my emails just fine, and all my folders I have setup in gmail are there, but I can't get any emails to stay on my phone in those folders. I understand I probably can't get the emails from before I had my phone, but I would think all the emails I get now on my phone, I should be able to move them into a folder on my phone, and have them stay in that folder(like archive them), and they would move to that folder in my gmail account when I checked online too.

Only place emails stay are my inbox. If I have 5 emails in my inbox online, they are all there on my phone. If I move one of them to a folder from my phone, it leaves my inbox on my phone like it should, leaves my inbox online like it should, goes into the folder online like it should, but does NOT go to that folder on my phone.

Basically, my phone only stores emails that are in my inbox. I want to be able to store all the emails on my phone, that I have online.

Make sense?

Last edited by efunk33; 09-21-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

sfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuff
Re: Anyone know how to KEEP all your emails from Gmail??

open your gmail inbox > menu > tools > manage folders
check all the folders you want synchronized

you can change it to save all by going to menu > tools > options > send/receive schedule - change downloaded massages to all

You may not want to store "all" of your emails on your phone as you will run out of space, but you could set it to store a longer period time

Interest in tech law? Check out my Intellectual Property and Technology blog
Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by efunk33 View Post
I can download my emails just fine, and all my folders I have setup in gmail are there, but I can't get any emails to stay on my phone in those folders. I understand I probably can't get the emails from before I had my phone, but I would think all the emails I get now on my phone, I should be able to move them into a folder on my phone, and have them stay in that folder(like archive them), and they would move to that folder in my gmail account when I checked online too.

Only place emails stay are my inbox. If I have 5 emails in my inbox online, they are all there on my phone. If I move one of them to a folder from my phone, it leaves my inbox on my phone like it should, leaves my inbox online like it should, goes into the folder online like it should, but does NOT go to that folder on my phone.

Basically, my phone only stores emails that are in my inbox. I want to be able to store all the emails on my phone, that I have online.

Make sense?

I'm assuming you're using IMAP settings? I have IMAP set up on my Touch Pro (1, I'll get my TP2 tomorrow), and you'll notice there is a Gmail folder in your Gmail account tree. These are the folders that are online and synced on your PC (unless you are asking about something else). I've attached a picture to show you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CapScr0006.jpg (14.3 KB, 11 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

efunk33 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfxc13 View Post
open your gmail inbox > menu > tools > manage folders
check all the folders you want synchronized

you can change it to save all by going to menu > tools > options > send/receive schedule - change downloaded massages to all

You may not want to store "all" of your emails on your phone as you will run out of space, but you could set it to store a longer period time

Hey, it's not letting me post anything else on sprintusers . com without a mod approval for some reason... I had one, or two more quick questions though. If you have time, I'd really appreciate it if you answered these. They are easy this time.

You said keeping a bunch of emails, even if I had unlimited hard drive space, will hurt performance. So what is a good rule of thumb to keep my email amount to? Like only keep 50 max, or is 200 max ok? Or is it all about the size of all the emails? I'm just going to tweak the settings to only keep the last few days worth, and if I ever need something from a year ago, I can just sync up that folder to pull ALL the emails from all time.

Also, do you think that it takes up memory(RAM), by having the email set to send/receive during the day? I am tempted to make it manual to free up RAM. Or maybe make it send/receive just once a day, and then I can do it manually whenever I need to. So do you think having it setup to do it multiple times during the day takes a lot of RAM? I would think it takes some since it has to remember to download emails all day.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuffsfxc13 knows their stuff

Quote:
Hey, it's not letting me post anything else on sprintusers . com without a mod approval for some reason... I had one, or two more quick questions though. If you have time, I'd really appreciate it if you answered these. They are easy this time.

You said keeping a bunch of emails, even if I had unlimited hard drive space, will hurt performance. So what is a good rule of thumb to keep my email amount to? Like only keep 50 max, or is 200 max ok? Or is it all about the size of all the emails? I'm just going to tweak the settings to only keep the last few days worth, and if I ever need something from a year ago, I can just sync up that folder to pull ALL the emails from all time.

Also, do you think that it takes up memory(RAM), by having the email set to send/receive during the day? I am tempted to make it manual to free up RAM. Or maybe make it send/receive just once a day, and then I can do it manually whenever I need to. So do you think having it setup to do it multiple times during the day takes a lot of RAM? I would think it takes some since it has to remember to download emails all day.
The performance lag has to do with storing email on the storage card not how many emails (all though if you store too many emails on internal storage it will hurt more cause you will have no space)

The best way to pull an email from a year ago that you need is either to use the search function, use a java emulator and the gmail app, or to use mail.google.com - you phone does have a browser

Having email just automatically will effect RAM but not much. The larger effect will be on battery life. I would set it based on how often you need to get email
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

efunk33 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfxc13 View Post
The performance lag has to do with storing email on the storage card not how many emails (all though if you store too many emails on internal storage it will hurt more cause you will have no space)

The best way to pull an email from a year ago that you need is either to use the search function, use a java emulator and the gmail app, or to use mail.google.com - you phone does have a browser

Having email just automatically will effect RAM but not much. The larger effect will be on battery life. I would set it based on how often you need to get email

I was just going to set it to download the last 7 days worth of emails, which is going to be ~50 emails, once per day. Since it is so few emails, I will just put it on my main storage, and not the miniSD to avoid any issues there. If I ever need anything from the past, I will just use the browser like you said and sign into my account and use the search button.

So based on that, it shouldn't affect anything much at all, right?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
So based on that, it shouldn't affect anything much at all, right?
right

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2