PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto A4500
Carrier: Verizon

jhalsey205 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Manilla Alternatives?!

So, ... if not Manilla, what is are you running (PointUI, SPB Shell, Throttle Launch, Wisbar Advanced Desktop, other?)?

As for me, I am not overwhelmed with Manilla. It is slick, but inhibits the way i like to use/access my device. There are a few apps I prefer over the Manilla skinned offerings (like resco contacts, resco photo viewer, pocket informant, phoneAlarm, to name a few).

So, am I alone in my position? If not, what is the best alternative?

Thanks

John
Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Verizon branded, unlocked)
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid SIM)

marcclarke is a n00b
Re: Manilla Alternatives?!

SPB Plus and SPB Diary. Two clicks (or finger presses if you are stylus-free) to get to any application. All your week's appointments and To-Do items (anybody else here use David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology?) on your Today screen, accessible in one click. This is the setup I use on my Mogul and I plan to bring it to an HTC Touch Pro2 on Sprint (as soon as I get mine, drool!).
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm about to try SPB shell, but it sounds like people are much happier with Manila because of its simplicity while providing just what people want...I think if HTC allowed you to customize your slider tabs, there wouldn't even be a contest
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

SPB Mobile Shell 3.01 + Professional Widgets. Definitely a few issues, particularly with the dialer, but not a show stopper for me. TF3D pails in comparison

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovKid66 View Post
SPB Mobile Shell 3.01 + Professional Widgets. Definitely a few issues, particularly with the dialer, but not a show stopper for me. TF3D pails in comparison
I disagree.

I used MS 3.01 for three weeks & kept missing TF3D Rhodium more & more.

The spinning cube thing looked cool at first, then I realized in three weeks of use I never actually used it once (it's nothing but useless eye candy).

I ended up going back to TF & uninstalling MS from my system...........
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I disagree.

The spinning cube thing looked cool at first, then I realized in three weeks of use I never actually used it once (it's nothing but useless eye candy).

This is exactly what I'm hearing over and over again on many forums.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I disagree.

I seldom use the carousel. I use a Lifestyle page with left and right accompanying pages. Between those three pages I have access to pretty much everything I use e.g. favourite apps on the left page, full page calendar details with quick access to create new calendar, contact, task, or note on the right page, and a summary main page with quick agenda, weather, date/time, access to Comm Manager, and e-mail/sms/vm/missed calls stats, etc. The Launcher and Contacts icons at the bottom of the page gives you quick access to anything else.

The flexibility / customization with MS3 far outweights TF in my opinion. I think if you're okay with an off-the-shelf style UI then TF is definitely a great way to go. It covers pretty much all of the basics. But for me it got boring.

Each to their own. Everyone will have their own likes / disikes. Go with what works for you.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

TF3D forever, for me.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I partly like TF for the style of it (& thought that MS was both boring & kinda ugly), I freely admit that. I have tried a bunch of alternatives & always end up back with Rhodium. I use PointUI for a while also & that bored me too after a while. I used Titanium for a week or so & REALLY hated that........

Both MS & PointUI have to be fairly well modified just to equal the functionality of TF3D2 & when you're done with all the changes/additions etc neither one actually works any better IMHO.

I use the heck out of every single function in TF3D2 (music, stock tab etc etc)& always just seem to end up right back where I started.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

TF3D is AWESOME. the only problem with it is it's difficult to customize unless you know a little about it.

ALL the files are scattered and thrown into the 10,000+ file window directory rather than in its own section where files can be easily altered.

HTC just needs to make TF3D more user-mod friendly.. if they do that all the other Shells out there would be pointless. (just my opinion)..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2