PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Borg561 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS question

I'm going to guess the answer is no, but I might as well ask. Is it possible to connect the TP2 to a laptop and use the GPS chip in the phone with mapping software on the laptop?

For the last several years I've been using MS MapPoint on my laptop for mapping and "navigation" purposes (without GPS). I've always wondered if it would be possible to connect a cell phone and use it's GPS with the software. IF this is even possible, I'm sure a driver would be needed. I'd rather not purchase software for my phone if it's possible to use it with the software I already have for my laptop.

Assuming this isn't possible, are there demos available of the three main navigation programs (TomTom, Garmin, & iGo)? I'd rather not pay a monthly fee for something like this (VZ Navigator), and everyone has their own opinions (and reasons) about what is the best program. I figure trying all three before buying would be best.

Thanks much and I'm really looking forward to getting my TP2 tomorrow evening (damn VZW/Fedex requires a delivery attempt before holding for pickup).

Justin
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007
Re: GPS question

http://users.skynet.be/hofinger/GPS2Blue.html Check out #3 on that page. Good luck.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Looks like that should do the trick. I'll have to play with it tonight. I don't have a Bluetooth receiver, so it looks like I'll have to use HWVSP as well. I'll definately report back on how things turn out (in case somebody else wants to do the same thing).

Justin
Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

delete

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Last edited by santod; 09-21-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

The good news is that this did work for me, at least on my laptop with Windows XP. I had initially tried this on my desktop computer running Vista Ultimate and had problems. I did have to use another program as well (HW Virtual Serial Port) as I don't have a bluetooth receiver for my computers.

The following are install/configuration notes that worked for me, taken from the GPS2Blue FAQ for anyone else wanting to do this:
  1. On the PC, install HW VSP (version 3.0.23 or newer). Choose the standalone application installation.
  2. Connect the PDA to the PC with an USB cable.
  3. On the PC, run HW VSP.
    • In Settings tab: check "TCP Server Mode" and, to avoid unwanted traffic, uncheck "NVT Enabled".
    • In Virtual Serial Port tab: set the Port Name (the port to be created on the PC, it must be a free COM port not already used on the PC; for example COM9). Set IP Address to 0.0.0.0 and Port to 31873.
      Note: to accept only data from the PDA, instead of 0.0.0.0, you can put the IP address of the PDA obtained with the "What's my IP" menu item of GPS2Blue.
    • Click on Create Com.
  4. On the PDA, run GPS2Blue.
    • Set the GPS COM port (it's the COM port that Windows Mobile uses for GPS communication. It depends of your PDA model). You can choose the GID port if available.
    • Set the communication Speed of the GPS COM port (depends of your PDA model, usually 4800).
    • Check TCP/IP box (and uncheck BT box).
    • Click the On button.
    Note: if everything is OK, Bytes: xxx will increase and you will see latitude/longitude data in GPS2Blue and Rx Counter will increase in HW VSP.
  5. On the PC, run your GPS software.
    • Set the COM port to the one created by HP VSP (COM9 in our example).
    • Set the speed to the one set in GPS2Blue (4800 in our example).
    • Start the connection.
I used the GID port on my phone in GPS2Blue. It should be listed in the log box when the program is first started. I'll play with it some more on my Vista machine later to see if I can get it working.

Justin

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2