PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

DargonBM is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
T-mobile TP2 TF3D defaults to IE

The T-Mobile TP2's TF3D defaults to IE as a browser well IE sucks and I was wondering if someone could explain what needs to be done so that the T-Mobile TF3D works just like the unbranded TF3D does using Opera as the default browser.

As a side note I am wondering if anyone knows how to make Flexmail the default email client for TF3D and if its possible for TF3D to pull the email account info from Flexmail

thank you
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: T-mobile TP2 TF3D defaults to IE

im sure the opera issue is just a reg edit, i would search google. lots of answers there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

i tired to look there first i couldnt find much i was able to get it like half way there when you go to the internet tab and click on the globe to launch the browser it uses opera but it you try to use the sear or click on the bookmarks on that page it defaults back to IE I was messing around in the registry last night and i changed a few things but i cant get the damn bookmarks and search to default to Opera
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

im sure its the same as tp reg, let me see what i can find on google. ill edit this post if i fibd it. see if this thread helps, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 08-14-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thank you if you find anything it would be wonderful i did look at that website and there was something about making IE default but when i went to the link it was a .cab file not instructions
Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DargonBM View Post
thank you if you find anything it would be wonderful i did look at that website and there was something about making IE default but when i went to the link it was a .cab file not instructions
you checked that link i posted? ill look for more.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Talking Re: T-mobile TP2 TF3D defaults to IE

Okay after messing around with this myself for a little bit I figured it out it is not only a registry entry but you also have to configure another file so i am going to go over what i did for others out there looking to do the same thing

First I started messing with the registry on my device I figured out that if you go to
"HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila" you will find a reg key that says "DefaultBrowserIsIE" with a value of 1. If you delete that and add a new key that says "DefaultBrowserIsOpera" with a value of 1 any time TF3D would open a browser window for additional information it will use Opera (example on the weather tab if you hit the link at the bottom that says "More Detail Online" before it would open IE now it will open Opera) however if you use the search in the Internet Tab (side note in that same registry folder you can edit the "InternetSearchUrl" key to reflect your favorite search engine when using the search bar on the Internet Tab) or click on the bookmarks there it will still Open IE. To fix this you got to "\Application Data\Manila" in that folder you will find a file named "InternetPortal-en-us.xml" what I did was pull that back to my desktop unchecking the read only file attribute and opening it in notepad. When you open the file it will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<InternetPortal>
<BrowserExe>\Windows\iexplore.exe</BrowserExe>
<IncludeUserFavorites>False</IncludeUserFavorites>
<Banner
DefaultImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\Inter netPortal\banner.qtc"
SelectedImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\Inte rnetPortal\banner_selected.qtc"
Text="Launch Browser"
NavigateUrl="http://web2go.com"
UrlText="web2go"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>
<Link
Text="YouTube"
Executable="\windows\youtube.exe"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPort al\youtube.qtc" />
<Link
Text="CNN"
NavigateUrl="http://tmobile.cnn.mlogic.mobi"
ImagePath="\Windows\_Bookmark_icon.qtc" />
<Link
Text="ESPN"
NavigateUrl="http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/index?z=TM"
<Link
Text="Facebook"
NavigateUrl="http://m.facebook.com"
</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

The thing you want to change here is "<BrowserExe>\Windows\iexplore.exe</BrowserExe>" instead you want it to be "<BrowserExe>\Windows\OperaL.exe</BrowserExe>" (side note you can also change what web page opens up when you tap on the large globe by editing the " NavigateUrl="http://web2go.com" " line and the " UrlText="web2go" " line mine point to google). Once you edit the file save it and recheck the read only file attribute and move it back onto your device over writing the existing file. Restart the device and everything is Opera.

Hope this helps out other people feel free to rewrite it to make more sense lol.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
CyanogenMod
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S IV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to LilRico Send a message via MSN to LilRico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DargonBM View Post
Okay after messing around with this myself for a little bit I figured it out it is not only a registry entry but you also have to configure another file so i am going to go over what i did for others out there looking to do the same thing

First I started messing with the registry on my device I figured out that if you go to
"HKCU\Software\HTC\Manila" you will find a reg key that says "DefaultBrowserIsIE" with a value of 1. If you delete that and add a new key that says "DefaultBrowserIsOpera" with a value of 1 any time TF3D would open a browser window for additional information it will use Opera (example on the weather tab if you hit the link at the bottom that says "More Detail Online" before it would open IE now it will open Opera) however if you use the search in the Internet Tab (side note in that same registry folder you can edit the "InternetSearchUrl" key to reflect your favorite search engine when using the search bar on the Internet Tab) or click on the bookmarks there it will still Open IE. To fix this you got to "\Application Data\Manila" in that folder you will find a file named "InternetPortal-en-us.xml" what I did was pull that back to my desktop unchecking the read only file attribute and opening it in notepad. When you open the file it will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<InternetPortal>
<BrowserExe>\Windows\iexplore.exe</BrowserExe>
<IncludeUserFavorites>False</IncludeUserFavorites>
<Banner
DefaultImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\Inter netPortal\banner.qtc"
SelectedImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\Inte rnetPortal\banner_selected.qtc"
Text="Launch Browser"
NavigateUrl="http://web2go.com"
UrlText="web2go"
Width="480"
Height="215" />
<OperatorLinks>
<Link
Text="YouTube"
Executable="\windows\youtube.exe"
ImagePath="\Windows\HTC\Assets\Images\InternetPort al\youtube.qtc" />
<Link
Text="CNN"
NavigateUrl="http://tmobile.cnn.mlogic.mobi"
<Link
Text="ESPN"
NavigateUrl="http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/index?z=TM"
<Link
Text="Facebook"
NavigateUrl="http://m.facebook.com"
</OperatorLinks>
</InternetPortal>

The thing you want to change here is "<BrowserExe>\Windows\iexplore.exe</BrowserExe>" instead you want it to be "<BrowserExe>\Windows\OperaL.exe</BrowserExe>" (side note you can also change what web page opens up when you tap on the large globe by editing the " NavigateUrl="http://web2go.com" " line and the " UrlText="web2go" " line mine point to google). Once you edit the file save it and recheck the read only file attribute and move it back onto your device over writing the existing file. Restart the device and everything is Opera.

Hope this helps out other people feel free to rewrite it to make more sense lol.
Anyone try this on their T-Mobile TP2? I need this for a friend, but I would like to see this tested on a couple of phones 1st just to make sure before I do it to his phone...
Old 08-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

its been working on mine since i figured it out yesterday with no issues if your concerned about what it might do to the phone just back up the InternetPortal-en-us.xml and if something doesnt work you can just throw the old one back in and add the old registry entry back in

let me know if it does work i am interest in finding out if this also works for other people
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

VizagDude is a n00b

Ok... I am a noob. Can anyone tell me how to Get to Application Data to tweak the 2nd part. The first one as default browser works fine.

I am not able to get to Applicaiton Data to view the .XML file.

Thanks much for your help.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2