PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

Azrael is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Azrael
Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call?

hi guys...I'm deaf and I'm looking forward to see if it supports video call.

I'm well aware Rogers has the Xperia-1, but it's 2 years old, and has a smaller screen - yet it supports video calls.

Could any of you confirm if it supports video calls or not? According to various sources it's supposed to, but I'm unable to verify if Telus does...or not.

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: TELUS

slaman is becoming a great contributor
Re: Telus Touch Pro 2 - support Video call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post

I'm well aware Rogers has the Xperia-1, but it's 2 years old, and has a smaller screen - yet it supports video calls.

Could any of you confirm if it supports video calls or not? According to various sources it's supposed to, but I'm unable to verify if Telus does...or not.

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)
Hey James,

I tried Skype Mobile and video calling wasn't an option. Given that the camera is on the back of the phone, I doubt that this phone has native support for it...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

thanks guys!

James (Calgary)
From my understanding CDMA does not support Video Call because you can't have video and data at same time..They took out all front cameras from all CDMA TP2s. Of course there is things like Skype and other VOIP solutions but we all know how carriers like those (some I think it is against contract to use VOIP)
________
Free Adult Streaming

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Azrael is a n00b

I don't get it...we have all this technology, and no carrier/bandwidth to support it?
It's making headway in Europe, even Russia. Heck, Rogers supports it.

Talk about taking 2 steps forward, and 5 steps back. Yeesh.

I'm not locked in any contract and I'm tempted to make the switch to Rogers, but the Xperia has a tiny screen just like my Diamond. Plus the new Tegra based devices coming out in Zune HD (may be phone ready, but doubt it)....argh...decisions decisions.

It's like a prom date coming up, and you don't know if you want to go, or who to go out with...what a pathetic dilemma. lol
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Azrael is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaman View Post
Hey James,

I tried Skype Mobile and video calling wasn't an option. Given that the camera is on the back of the phone, I doubt that this phone has native support for it...
curious...but have you tried this one?

http://qik.com/
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Azrael is a n00b

In case we're not clear here...but from HTC Touch Pro 2/Rhodium - it supports video call (with a front facing video camera). Naturally not all carriers want to support it, so they'd have the device remove.

Check HTC's referral

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html
Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
In case we're not clear here...but from HTC Touch Pro 2/Rhodium - it supports video call (with a front facing video camera). Naturally not all carriers want to support it, so they'd have the device remove.

Check HTC's referral

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touch...ification.html
As I said the TP2 had a front camera but all CDMA providers removed it. You cannot have native video calls through CDMA..only through VOIP.

You can notice this by if you use CDMA and surf the internet and then get a phone call your internet is interrupted. GSM on the other hand supports Video calls.

This is a limitation of CDMA technology in general...only way to go around it while still using CDMA is to have 2x CDMA receivers instead of 1 which no phone yet has done. Due to advancing Technologies like LTE and Wimax I doubt CDMA will get much headway in the future.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Azrael is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
As I said the TP2 had a front camera but all CDMA providers removed it. You cannot have native video calls through CDMA..only through VOIP.

You can notice this by if you use CDMA and surf the internet and then get a phone call your internet is interrupted. GSM on the other hand supports Video calls.

This is a limitation of CDMA technology in general...only way to go around it while still using CDMA is to have 2x CDMA receivers instead of 1 which no phone yet has done. Due to advancing Technologies like LTE and Wimax I doubt CDMA will get much headway in the future.
If Telus uses CDMA - then the rationale here is their carrier will not support video calls. Period.

If that's the case, then it's time for me to switch over to GSM.

Thank you.

Rogers - here I come!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Azrael is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post

If Telus uses CDMA - then the rationale here is their carrier will not support video calls. Period.

If that's the case, then it's time for me to switch over to GSM.

Thank you.

Rogers - here I come!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Focus (unlocked)

jessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuffjessiethe3rd knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jessiethe3rd

Be advised that Telus is rigging up their HSPA network... Video calling isn't used a lot even over seas where it is touted... it's somewhat of a fad that has seemly died out. Bing it and you'll see what I mean.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2