PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

unreal253 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ANY help on backlight button issue?!

wuts good yall.
i need to figure out wut kind of issue this is.
say my phone is on and screen is on. i press the 'Backlight' button(NOT the red/end/power ) on the top of the phone.. and the screen will turn off. Normal. Great. Okay now I go to press it again. The screen doesn't power on. I noticed the phone is definitely on and as if the phone is being used with no screen. The lights and controls works.

I tried flashing new roms of all sorts. I primarily use NRG roms. Can ANYone help me out here? I cant seem to figure it out. Can it be hardware, even tho it still turns the screen off?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: ANY help on backlight button issue?!

you just get a TP2 or something??? been here 2 and a half years and youve never read about the SOD issue??

certain builds have the SLeep of Death issue
Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

unreal253 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you just get a TP2 or something??? been here 2 and a half years and youve never read about the SOD issue??

certain builds have the SLeep of Death issue
I had it since august of this year...but never had this issue. n i found another interestin factor. when i try to change the backlight through the app, the light wont dim or light up..

is there a fix for this SOD? it seems like google only has articles bout the SOD and how it infested phones..
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I just got my 1st SOD after having the phone for 6 months. I installed lots of applications and mods on it (still on original Sprint ROM), so I figured this is a good time for hard reset. Just after HR, with no apps installed, I got another SOD.

Well, there seems to be a number of posts related to this problems, with everyone having their own theory, from faulty hardware to SD / SIM card issue to programs.

I've had various PDAs from the early Palm days, so to me while there's a probability of it being an internal hw issue, this seems much more likely to be either a s/w problem or a card issue. I also noticed that on the morning of the day I got my first SOD the battery was half-drained overnight (which doesn't typically happen) and the task bar wouldn't show.

One of the posts I read indicated this is likely to be a card issue, specifically some program installed on the card trying to load / update while the device is off. This made lots of sense, since even though I did a HR, I didn't wipe the card; if there was some program "hook" in the root of the card, or some corruption on it, this would explain getting a SOD even on a freshly wiped device.

So, I wiped the SD card, formatted it, and only copied back documents, CABs and music - no programs whatsoever. I also decided to go easy on installed programs, installing only in main memory, and only the absolute bare necessities (e.g. going with stock Manilla vs CHT2, which so far I find not at all limiting). Instead of Quickmenu I went with DotFred TaskMgr that doesn't have to be installed. Basically, a device as close to the stock as possible without severely limiting myself.

So far, 3rd day and no SOD... knock on wood.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

six or seven months between hard resets seems to be the limit for these things, unless you never text or email. It sounds like the hard reset and sd wipe have cleared up your problem.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

unreal253 is a n00b

Imma try to flash and clear SD card aftr class. Ill report results..
Old 12-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Remember to back up your contacts, music, etc!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Try using the 6.1 shipped rom instead of the 6.5 version(s).
Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

unreal253 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreal253 View Post
Imma try to flash and clear SD card aftr class. Ill report results..
Okay, its a negative on reflashing stock rom with no SD and with formatted. This is so frustrating because I cant tell if its a hardware issue, only bc the button still works to turn off the screen.

Now when I try to change the backlight on the device, through an app, and I try to change the dim, screen doesnt change at all no matter what brightness I put the slider on.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Three things to check, then:

1) There's a setting that allows your backlight to be controlled automatically. Make sure it's unchecked. May be this is a faulty light sensor.

2) Take out both the SIM card and SD card & reboot. Better else, hard reset. (You don't really need a SIM card unless you're using your phone abroad).

3) If it still doesn't wake up after going to sleep, hook it up to your PC via Pocket Controller or a freeware MyMobiler, and see if the device actually responds when you press the power button (which would mean it's a backlight issue) or remains in sleep mode.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2