PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Procter is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Touch pro2 White Screen of Death

Hi all, I just encountered this famous White Screen of death on my TP2 two days ago and it kept coming back in certain cases.

So I was running Mightyrom and had this arcade emulator called Finalburn installed. Besides the emulator itself, I had to install two cabs to make it work, one is WVGAfix4 (force it to VGA display mode) and the other one is called kforTP (a program to disable T9 temporarily for the hardware keyboard key assign). So I got these related cabs and tried to run two games. For each game rom, when you first load it, the emulator will create cache file stored in the folder of this emulator, in this case these two games are some big/complicate arcade games so they had big a$$ cache file (both around 70mb). I even ran into some "run out of memory" warning, and then when I forced soft reset it, the phone goes to a white screen right after the starting splash screen.

Task29 and reflash got it back though, but last night I was trying other chef's ROMs to test this problem. With Vin's rom, I did the same caching, did not get the warning and then after I exit the emulator, everything seems to be fine (it runs smoothly, no errors whatsoever) until I soft reset it (normal reset not the forced) it went to white screen again. The only fact I know is this caching process is memory consuming process, but once it's done the cache file is created and stored in my storage card. And from the phone's reaction (smoothness and stuff), it did not leave any big chunk in my main memory, but why it still stuck at the startup?

Can anyone explain the cause of this white screen for me please? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Weird issue. I bet if you shut your device down completely or pull the battery it would boot back up normally. Sounds like something got stuck in memory and crashed the system. Have you tried disableing Sense or TF3d and turning of the radio while you run these games? That would probably help a lot.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Threadstarter

Procter is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Sprint Touch pro2 White Screen of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Weird issue. I bet if you shut your device down completely or pull the battery it would boot back up normally. Sounds like something got stuck in memory and crashed the system. Have you tried disableing Sense or TF3d and turning of the radio while you run these games? That would probably help a lot.
No, as a matter of fact, pulling out battery did not work (I've even pulled it out and left the phone battery-less for 8 hours).

Same thing happened across different ROMs already, and this only happens when I'm running the specific two large arcade games. Even it got loaded and run smoothly, if I rotate the screen or make some configuration, screen tearing happened in the blank region (coz I forced the phone to be in VGA mode, so there is a blank area with no contents). The game still runs OK, and I can exit the emulator fine, even run the phone as normal until a soft reset. It will get stuck in the splash screen (last night I got stuck at the windows phone screen instead of the white blank screen).

I think it's related to display software of hardware (?), never had this problem before.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procter
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post

No, as a matter of fact, pulling out battery did not work (I've even pulled it out and left the phone battery-less for 8 hours).

Same thing happened across different ROMs already, and this only happens when I'm running the specific two large arcade games. Even it got loaded and run smoothly, if I rotate the screen or make some configuration, screen tearing happened in the blank region (coz I forced the phone to be in VGA mode, so there is a blank area with no contents). The game still runs OK, and I can exit the emulator fine, even run the phone as normal until a soft reset. It will get stuck in the splash screen (last night I got stuck at the windows phone screen instead of the white blank screen).

I think it's related to display software of hardware (?), never had this problem before.
Try putting it in bootloader when it freezes at the white screen then reset.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2