PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touchpro 2
Carrier: t-mobile

mpre is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
htc touch pro 2: tethering to mac os X

Hi. I just wanted to share how I connected my htc touch pro 2 phone to my mac so that I could access the internet via the mac's modem and thereby bypass using the airport card. I set this up some time ago so I may not have included every detail....Feel free to post if you have any questions of course... Anyway, I should also point out that this setup requires no extra charges other than the fee you pay for your cell phone data plan...

Background: I have a t-mobile data plan, an htc touch pro 2 phone and I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on a mac laptop.

1)On the phone do the following:
-turn on the htc's bluetooth, add your computer as a device (you should give your computer a name), make your cell phone discoverable.

-On the mac do the following:
2) open network preferences, click on the "+" sign in the lower left to add a new connection. Give your connection a name. I called mine "htc".
3)in the right hand panel, leave the configuration drop down on "default".
4)this step is important (this gave me trouble a bunch of times). Set the phone number to *99#. Leave account name and pw blank. Hit apply. Save changes.
5) open bluetooth preferences
6)You should have some name for your phone listed here. If not setup a new device by clicking on the "+" in the bottom left.
7)Then, and this is also key, click on the settings dropdown. This is to the right of the "-" sign in the bottom left. In this dropdown list select "edit serial ports".
On the new page that pops up you should see your device name in the top pane. The following fields should have the following information:
-Name: (this should be your device name, same as the info in the top pane)
Protocol: RS-232
Service: Dial-up Networking
-the boxes "require pairing .." and "show in network prefs" can be left
unchecked.
9) Hit apply and save all of this.

10) You should have a phone icon displayed somewhere in your
menu bar on the mac.
11) be sure your airport card is turned off (Click on the wireless
signal strength icon at the top and be sure you have turned off your
airport card)
12) click on the phone/modem icon in the menu bar. You should see
something that says connect to htc (assuming you named your phone
htc). Click on that
13) You should see next to the phone icon a timer. This will show that
the mac is connecting to your phone.
14) You should notice your htc touch pro 2 screen light up once the mac has established the connection.
15) If all goes well, you should notice that the timer/clock next to the phone icon is ticking away in minutes and seconds.
16) Open up a browser and try going to a web page.
17) Once you are done using the internet via the tether, you can click on the phone icon again and select "Disconnect htc" (again, assuming you called your phone "htc").
1 You now have a mac configured to either tether to the touch pro or connect to your wireless router.

Extra Note: I found that tethering like this is enormously useful in rural areas. For example, my wife and I wound up stuck once in virginia looking for a hotel but everything locally was booked (yes, we should have booked in advance but didn't). Anyway, we were able to park at a rest stop and we were able to tether the htc to the mac laptop in a couple of minutes. This let us search for hotels and find a way out of our predicament. Obviously, we found that the tether was very reliable between the mac and the htc touchpro 2.

-mpre
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

i have an old mr xrom and it was simple as turning on wifi router and connecting similar to an access point. I imagine most cusstom roms do this easily.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme
Re: htc touch pro 2: tethering to mac os X

the wifirouter cooked into 99% of the roms out now is way easier my freind! three button clicks and your good to go!!! Two on the phone and one on the mac!

But either way nice write up!

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2