PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ruffems is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WMWifi and data usage

I have a friend who I sold my TP2 to. She does not have internet where she lives. She's been told it would cost to much to drop a cable to her neighborhood.

So she is left with connecting to the internet via her touch pro 2.

She refuses to allow mightymike's rom on her phone cause it would void her brand new TP2 warranty.

I have tentatively set up her phone to use WMWifi as her internet connection.

What she is very worried about is this
She says she has the unlimited data usage from Sprint but as we all know unlimited to sprint is different than my definition or unlimited.

Will sprint be able to track her data usage via her use of WMWifi or is WMWifi sort of like a stealth connection?

I sold her the phone on the grounds that she should be able to connect to the net which I did but she is insistent that she get's unlimited internet.

I'm relying on the experts here who have experience with this program and it's pitfalls.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Tell her not to worry. If she uses HTCWifiRouter or WMWifiRouter those just use the standard phone data connection so if she has unlimited data with Sprint she is all set. You or she could also use one of the stealth tethering cabs available here or do the reg edits manually to enable USB tethering which is safe and as long as she doesn't go too crazy with data use like over 5GBs a month then she has nothing to worry about.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: WMWifi and data usage

i tether for days, shes good.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Unlimited is Unlimited. Sprint does not have a different definition for it. If she is trully on an unlimited data plan she is only limited by the ammount of seconds in a month and her connection speed (kbps).

p.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Unlimited is unlimited, but Sprint themselves don't know what that means as their operating definition seems to change every once in a while. Either way, her contract stipulates that "abuse" may lead to account cancellation so it isn't a 100% safe situation, though from experience, they typically go after (AND cancel) people who roam excessively.

With that said, people who abuse the system will and are screwing everybody else over. Tiered pricing, whether Hesse concedes or not, is coming to Sprint :/

ps- if one wants to be technical with definitions and "you get what you pay for" nonsense, then she should really do the PAM buy up for what she's doing.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

if your using wifi, there is no Stealth Tethering-thats for USB only..

it doesnt matter though OP.. just like I tell most people, i use 30GBs of Data a month Tethering, ive been tethering for 3years now, and ive NEVER see or read about one charge....on Sprint(or VZW)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2