PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint/Boost

Kris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question used tp2 flash to 6.5 - before or after activate? tnx

used fleabay Sprint tp2 on way. Will use HTC's flash to 6.5 if it isn't already. Do I do this before or after I've activated it, or doesn't it matter? I figure that after I activate it I will know the MSL, MDN, and MSID if that gets wiped by the flash... (sorry, it's been too long since I flashed my Mogul from 6.0 to 6.1 and I forgot...)

Thanks.

EDIT: I guess I would activate it first, make sure it works, then flash it...

If I helped... Please hit the THANKS button!

Last edited by Kris443; 09-25-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Re: used tp2 flash to 6.5 - before or after activate? tnx

It doesn't really matter. You're better off not flashing first, as at least that way you can obtain support. But flashing and then programming works fine too.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Kris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKris443 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Also: if you're flashing stock Sprint ROMs for use on their network, then you're totally fine. I thought you were referring to custom ROMs. My mistake.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yes, stock sprint ROM from HTC site for tp2 phone, on Sprint network. The one they released in March. I have no idea what build it's from.

The custom ROMs will/may come later - give me a month!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Yeah, if that's the case, you're totally fine no matter what you do. It'll already have provisioned itself for Sprint, will accept all of the standard dialer codes for programming, and so on.

However, I want to warn you--the phone is SIGNIFICANTLY faster using 6.1/2.1. I'd forgotten how much snappier and responsive it was until I messed with a TP2 still running the old ROM. Custom ROMs will offer you more stability (sometimes), more glitz, more features, etc.--but they're not going to be faster. The TP2's best shot at having a fast, stable platform is probably Android. I've all but given up on having a pleasant experience with WM6.5/Sense2.5 on the TP2. (I may be unduly picky, though.)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the thoughts on that. The problem with Android is no camera and no BT. I've been watching various youtube videos of the tp2 with 6.5 and hadn't noticed any dragginess, but hadn't been looking for it. I'll look some more. I do know that Android drags on my Mogul, but that's a different animal. I do have a pointer to an Android that runs off the SDcard for the tp2 and will undoubtedly try that. Okay, time to spin in a circle flapping my hands saying "what will I do", "what will I do" ...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Turned out that it had been flashed to 6.5 by Sprint. hardware ver 4 and apparently only 3-4 months old. Seems quite zippy. My only complaint is that apparently they changed the task mgr and you can no longer specify to close things if you click on the X, but I am also noticing that it doesn't seem to bog it down to have a few things sitting in there. Found a killer app FdcSoft_TaskMgrv3.3_WM6.5.cab in an attempt to replace Seligman's Launcher (worked in 6.1, no go in 6.5) - does everything including a regedit. (Fred dot, I think)(have to power off and on for it to be found)

I also found that location in google maps works fine on the Rhodium, where it didn't on the Mogul. (course it's within 900 meters so really useful!!! But fun!

I haven't gotten around to trying the froyo 2.2 yet (Android) - prolly tomorrow. All-in-all, very pleased with this new toy, even though I haven't found the "serve espresso" button.

Going "slowly - just want to make sure it doesn't have a terminal sleep prob - speaking of which, my mogul occasionally did, so for fun last night I did 3 clear memories. Good thing to have up one's sleeve if problems arise!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Cool Re: used tp2 flash to 6.5 - before or after activate? tnx

Followup:
I did try Android, but my phone didn't connect, so I put it aside for now.

After a lot of playing with Sense2.5, I finally unchecked it, checked date, installed loffactory "Easy Today Launcher", so now, with very minimal effort, It looks more like an iPhone of some sort - 4 colums and 5 rows (visible)(scrolls downward) of icons for what I need - camera, camcorder, IE, Opera, cleanRAM, email, google maps, file explorer, etc, etc. I'm only using 19 at the moment - I think I saw somewhere that 40 was max.

I find it much easier to access as my icons are right there, like an iPhone. It also may be speedier, but it goes fast anyway. cleanRAM was recommended by the MS folk, and I will use that until someone points me to a better one.

Really loving the simplicity of this thing!

Last edited by Kris443; 09-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2