PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bMwnut1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing cabs

I'm new to the forum and new to TP2. I haven't installed any cabs or programs. My phone is the Verizon version and I don't have a SIM card installed. I want to download a few of the cabs from the forum but I don't know what steps to follow. I have found the links for the cabs.
1) Do I find the links on my phone browser and download them directly or do I download them to my PC first?
2) Do I need to download anything else to prevent big V from knowing I'm using the phone as a modem (either wifi or usb tether)?
3) Once the cabs are downloaded, do they survive resets soft or hard?

Thank you!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

sammycomelately is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Installing cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMwnut1 View Post
I'm new to the forum and new to TP2. I haven't installed any cabs or programs. My phone is the Verizon version and I don't have a SIM card installed. I want to download a few of the cabs from the forum but I don't know what steps to follow. I have found the links for the cabs.
1) Do I find the links on my phone browser and download them directly or do I download them to my PC first?
You can do either! If you download them to your PC, you can use Activesync Windows Mobile Device Center to draqg and drop the CAB down to the phone.
Quote:
2) Do I need to download anything else to prevent big V from knowing I'm using the phone as a modem (either wifi or usb tether)?
I don't think so...
Quote:
3) Once the cabs are downloaded, do they survive resets soft or hard?
The installed programs and downloaded CAB source should survive a soft reset. Hard resets usually clean things out to the initial state like when V sent the phone to you.
Quote:
Thank you!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

1. You can download cabs or anything else with your TP2 with the included Opera browser. A cab file(short for cabinet) is a self installing package which when clicked on in your file explorer will self install files to the appropriate places. Obviously, you can also download items with your PC and transfer them to your device. Some apps can only be installed when your TP2 is synced with your PC through Activesync by clicking on the exe file with your PC.

2.You need to look for the tethering cab in the Tweaks Thread.

3. When you soft reset you are basically rebooting so apps are closed and the OS restarts. A Hard Reset is basically a system restore to set your device back to factory settings so only factory shipped apps will remain.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2