PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

scaph01 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Make TP2 look like iOS device to exchange

All,
I work in an iPhone giddy environment who stated an iPhone email program. I am the black sheep running Windows - the other day I recieved the following email from our corporate admins...

Weekly reports of our iPhone infrastructure show you are connecting with a non iOS device. This type of usage is not permitted at this time. A condition of acceptance into the iPhone Pilot is the agreement that the user is required to use an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Touch). These are the only devices that we tested and have done a security review for. I must ask that you please remove the connection from your device to the email infrastructure at this time.

Now from what I can tell, the communications to exchange are to an Exchange Outlook Web Access Server, over SSL, my only guess is they are using the User-Agent string...but not sure really, anyone have any suggestions / thoughts (other than a. Get and iPhone [NEVER], b. Reason with them)

Thanks in advance
Phil
Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Make TP2 look like iOS device to exchange

I don't think that the user agent string is relayed via an Exchange connection. Is it possible that they detected your TP2 via "device name?"
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Lurker
Carrier: Sprint (CDMA)

n2wishin is just getting started

Best bet is to talk to your IT dept about the issue, maybe even HR to pay for an iphone on your behalf (if your job requires an iphone and nothing else).
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
DarkLight

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Checking with our Exchange guys right now. Initial question indicates that they run a PowerShell command to get that info. Once I find out what they query on I'll let you know.

*EDIT*
Looks like we at least are polling for Deviceuseragent and Devicetype. I don't know exactly what those correspond to 'inside' the TP2 but if you wanna freak them out boot up XDAndroid and connect. I don't know how to 'fake' those on the TP2...anyone else?

Last edited by DarkLight; 09-02-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
DarkLight

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

One other thing you might be able to do while tweaking is to hit the webmail page for your Exchange environment >options>mobile devices and see if your changes show up. If so, you are on the right track...Just a thought.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

scaph01 is a n00b

Thanks for the feedback, going to poke around, user agent I can handle but device type could be backed-in.

thanks for thinking about this one

Phil
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Tell them to suck it and deal with it!
lol
WinMo is probably more secure anyway. There's probably a lot more people trying to hack into iOS devices anyway.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Tell them to suck it and deal with it!
lol
WinMo is probably more secure anyway. There's probably a lot more people trying to hack into iOS devices anyway.
I'm no iPhone fanboy, but I'm sure that many people will agree that "Microsoft" and "secure" do not belong together.

Hell, Halo:Reach, their biggest game release this year was leaked almost a month before the release date because some amateur hacked into an MS server that hosted the game for reviewers.

At any rate, WM has settings to change your device name which MAY be locked on iPhones to one specific string or alias. Maybe replicating that string could help you out.

Last edited by quick99si; 09-05-2010 at 03:32 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2