PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Mobile Antivirus?

There's also the question of how would they stop a virus that's low-circulation (i.e. not widespread). They would need to learn of its existence first.

I am sure we would come to the point when an a/v is absolutely needed but all it does now is wasting memory imho.

(Sorry just realized the thread is a month old)
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intercept

L21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to L21Matt

I use ESET NOD32 (64bit) on my PC, and i got a license for their mobile version for my PPC. On the PC, i can tell you it's one of the best. On the PPC however, i don't even know if i needed to buy it. Eh, I'm parinoid by nature, so i guess it won't hurt. ... was like 20 bucks for a year.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

JimP is just getting started

I wouldn't be surprised that it'll evolve the same way it did for PCs. The faster the processor you have, the more viruses will appear, the greater the need to have antivirus which slows your system, then upgrade to a faster processor.

I have a Gateway laptop that I reformatted and reloaded Vista without the McAffee antivirus that came with it. Could not believe how much faster it ran without the antivirus installed. Its not my main computer so if it gets a virus, not big deal. I wouldn't recommend this on a computer with important information on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

L21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuffL21Matt knows their stuff

Nortons and McAfee are probably 2 of the most used on home PC's, but that doesnt make them the best. I personally dislike both, they are slow, take over ur computer and bog it down and i don't think they scored all that great in some test i read....

ESET was rated one of the best a/v .. its light, and didn't take over my puter and it seems to do what it is supposed to do...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Casiopeia E100,Sprint Apache,Sprint TP,TP2,EVO

housinit is keeping up the good workhousinit is keeping up the good workhousinit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by l21matt View Post
I use ESET NOD32 (64bit) on my PC, and i got a license for their mobile version for my PPC. On the PC, i can tell you it's one of the best. On the PPC however, i don't even know if i needed to buy it. Eh, I'm parinoid by nature, so i guess it won't hurt. ... was like 20 bucks for a year.

I second that. NOD32 is by far THEE best anti-virus there is in the market. I have been using it and selling it for the past 10 years and have never had a virus make it into my PC. I load it on all of my Windows machines, including Windows Servers that I manage as well as my Exchange servers. It has never failed me so far. And it is the fastest most reliable anti-virus that i've used as well as having a minimal footprint, and I have used almost all anti-virus packages from free to the expensive one. I think we all know that everyone should stay away from Norton/Symantec as well as McAfee, both complete memory hogs and complete bloatware. Although I have not used NOD32 on my PPC I have always wondered how well it works for WinMo devices. I am considering loading it up on my TP2 for the trial version to see how it works and if it affects performance. They are a very solid company and would recommend it to anyone in the market for anti-virus on their PC.....can't make a comment for PPC, but can only assume that they did a good job on that also. ESET, the company that makes NOD32 hardly puts any money into advertising, almost all their money goes into R&D and this is why they have an awesome product. Thats my two cents on the issue. I will also add that I have been using WinMo devices now for over 10 years and have NEVER come across any viruses for it, and I load up quite a bit of software. I do like to run packet sniffers on my phone to check and see if there is any network activity that I find suspect, but haven't had issues yet. It will only be a matter of time before some dumbass decides to start creating viruses for our phones. Hope that helps out.

-Housinit
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Glad there are other ESET lovers out there. Everyone i know gets a new computer and it's pre installed with Norton or McAfee and 6 months later they are complaining to me they have a virus or the computer is slow.. I fix it for them, and convince them tho go ESET No more complaints.

the PPC version, i do not notice any slowness. It's even lighter of a footprint than the PC version. You never know it's there.

www.eset.com if anyone is wondering
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Casiopeia E100,Sprint Apache,Sprint TP,TP2,EVO

housinit is keeping up the good workhousinit is keeping up the good workhousinit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that it'll evolve the same way it did for PCs. The faster the processor you have, the more viruses will appear, the greater the need to have antivirus which slows your system, then upgrade to a faster processor.

I have a Gateway laptop that I reformatted and reloaded Vista without the McAffee antivirus that came with it. Could not believe how much faster it ran without the antivirus installed. Its not my main computer so if it gets a virus, not big deal. I wouldn't recommend this on a computer with important information on it.

Install NOD32 from ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection. Even tho your laptop isn't your main computer its going to be a headache when you do get a virus. Theres no way you won't get one if your online any length of time. NOD32 does not slow down your PC at all. Zero....its nothing like Norton or McAfee and works a hell of a lot better.

-Housinit
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

JimP is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by housinit View Post
Even tho your laptop isn't your main computer its going to be a headache when you do get a virus. Theres no way you won't get one if your online any length of time. NOD32 does not slow down your PC at all.
-Housinit

After 3 years and no viruses on my Vista laptop, I'm not convinced that a antivirus program is necessary on it given my usage.

Additionally, I don't go to suspect websites on it, get my email on another computer and have an ISP that runs their own antivirus.

This computer is mainly used for audio frequency analysis and some light web surfing. Even if it were to someday get a virus, I'm fine with reloading it. There just isn't that much to reload if I have to.

With that said, anyone that does any serious work on a computer or has a lot of data files or programs or aren't all that careful when going to websites, RUN ANTIVIRUS. Don't be stupid.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2