PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Device has been freezing in weird way

My phone has been freezing a lot lately. while doing regular tasks it will lockup and the screen becomes completely unresponsive. it completely locks up and the werid thing is i can't even turn off the screen. before when my screen froze i could still turn off the screen using the display on/off button and it would dim/brighten the display when i tapped it. I can't think of anything that i've added recently that could cause this...i tried removing android, and it was happening before i installed the overclocker (i thought it would help, but no cigar) and it is happening on multiple ROMs i.e. MightyRom FF, Vin's Plutonium...is this sort of problem associated to any specific application? I'm really trying not to buy a new device, but i didnt buy it through Verizon so i dont think i'll be able to replace it under warranty or anything like that.

edit: I think there is something wrong because when i think about it, sometimes after soft resets my backlight settings have changed themselves. for instance i have it set to dim after 10 sec and turn off after 1min but after a soft reset i checked and the 'turn off after' setting had been unchecked mysteriously...

Last edited by kern417; 08-07-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Re: Device has been freezing in weird way

are you flashing to stock betwen roms?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

yeah i would say install stock, hard reset twice and see if still exists

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2

limon is a n00b

I am having this problem with a completely stock Sprint TP2 locking up. Its always been pretty sluggish, (I assumed this was normal?) but lately, it will lock up mid way through loading a screen, leaving the top half as the new screen, with some white horizontal lines separating that from the previous, and not allowing me to turn the screen off. Only thing I can do to reset it is pull the battery. Curious if this is similiar to what youre experiencing Kern?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Socrates Philosophy

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Hmm that's interesting. Like i said before, I just started with the tp2 and it's pretty quick to what I'm used to (tp1). I haven't had any issues at all...

Limon: when you run programs, do you close them after wards? Not with the X in the top right corner, but with the task manager? your phone could be running slow because you don't completely close the app.

You might be new to winmo, so what happens is that the little X in the top right kinda sends the program to the back ground. You can change it in settings to actually close the program. But sometimes that doesn't work. So you need to use a task manager to kill the program and that way you'll recover memory and speed.

That sounds like it's your problem because when you pull the battery (reboot) it runs better.

good luck!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Lurker

limon is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
Hmm that's interesting. Like i said before, I just started with the tp2 and it's pretty quick to what I'm used to (tp1). I haven't had any issues at all...

Limon: when you run programs, do you close them after wards? Not with the X in the top right corner, but with the task manager? your phone could be running slow because you don't completely close the app.

You might be new to winmo, so what happens is that the little X in the top right kinda sends the program to the back ground. You can change it in settings to actually close the program. But sometimes that doesn't work. So you need to use a task manager to kill the program and that way you'll recover memory and speed.

That sounds like it's your problem because when you pull the battery (reboot) it runs better.

good luck!
Hi thanks for the quick response, I dont mean to hijack the thread or anything :P but yes, I have tried by using the task manager to close everything, and even tried deleting call histories and all SMS/Messages (seems like I have to do this at least once a day or the phone just dies) But that hasnt solved it unfortunately.

I am new to Winmo, and smart phones in general, but Im slowly finding my way around. It seems like my majority of sluggishness comes from going to/from the Windows Start screen, SMS/MMS, anything having to do with the camera/video recorder/picture albums, phone dial pad or a browser/internet app. Even closing every program Im able to with the task manager I cant seem to speed it up. Sometimes it even bugs out or locks up when I am on the phone, and I get a text.. half the keyboard will appear across the bottom of the screen while Im on the phone, covering up the dialpad, making it so I cant disconnect the call, the other person must hang up first.

I noticed there is an option to view processes in the task manager, but not close them, and at times it seems like some are pretty chunky, specifically tmail.exe and cprog.exe. Viewing available storage on my phone yields around 50-75 mb free program constantly, and around 115-120 mb free storage. Im not sure if thats in a normal range, but Ive seen some of the customization you all do, and if my device is this sluggish stock, I have absolutely NO idea how you all manage lol! :P
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Socrates Philosophy

Well, welcome to the community... and sorry to hear you're having problems.

If you're running a stock rom, you shouldn't have that many problems. It would be easy to say "try a custom rom," but that shouldn't be necessary as you are having problems that shouldn't exist.

Some of those programs you mentioned you can't close, they're system binaries. But anything you start you should be able to kill. That being said, it might be something else with your phone.

Could you tell us what version of the rom you have?

And I think i've seen someone else talking about those problems as well. If I find the thread I'll let you know. But take a look around and you might find it. You shouldn't have garbage all over the screen.

That being said, the winmo phones are pretty sweet over all. I've had the titan/mogul, the TP and the TP2 now and they're all great! Of course the TP2 is the fastest, with newer versions of the winmo OS but they've all been good phones. That is why there is such a big community because people like them.

A lot of people called chefs, have created custom ROMs (modified winmo OS) to make them faster, more stable, and in some cases, completely different from the stock system. Overall adding improvements. So we don't really "deal with the problems" by living with them, rather by getting rid of them or creating work arounds.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Lurker

limon is a n00b

Thanks And yeah, thats kinda what I figured.. It was great and seemed smooth for about the first week, and its just gotten slower and slower ever since. Ive had it about 4-5 months now? Sometimes it gets to the point that I have to completely wipe all the SMS and call history and reboot the phone multiple times per day, because I also get the black screen hang, where it wont wake up from sleep.

My ROM is 2.04.651.4 and is dated 03/06/10. And thanks thatd be great

I also love my phone, it is simply amazing with the capability and such, it just seems to not want to cooperate at times ..having said that, its still much better than the Instinct that I came from lol :P

Ive also thought about taking to a Sprint service center, because perhaps I got a bad phone, but knowing my luck, it would probably work perfectly at lightspeed while Im standing at the counter, and crawl right when I got home from the place. Also not sure if theyll do much for "sluggishness", unless the phone just bricks and is inoperable.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

you just stated the culprit for your problems the stock 6.5 rom. I'd recommend you try flashing the stock 6.1 rom that can also be downloaded on this forum
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobturismo View Post
are you flashing to stock betwen roms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
yeah i would say install stock, hard reset twice and see if still exists
i actually went OD on my last flash...I Task29'd, flashed to stock, clear storage twice, Task 29, Flashed MightRom, then clear storage. When i actually got my phone running it thought it didnt even know it was a Verizon phone anymore but luckily i had the Verizon Provisioning app.

I am beginning to think that it is just my phone reaching the end of its days...guess i can't complain to some people that have already been thru 5 or 6 when this is the same one i've had since VZW TP2's launch day

Quote:
Originally Posted by limon View Post
I am having this problem with a completely stock Sprint TP2 locking up. Its always been pretty sluggish, (I assumed this was normal?) but lately, it will lock up mid way through loading a screen, leaving the top half as the new screen, with some white horizontal lines separating that from the previous, and not allowing me to turn the screen off. Only thing I can do to reset it is pull the battery. Curious if this is similiar to what youre experiencing Kern?
this is similar. mine usually happens during texting or tweeting in Sense entry screens. Your situation has happened when i run CleanRam however...for some reason the Taskbar freezes and is always shown even wen using full screen apps, and if i switch to landscape it cuts off the right half of the screen.

I'm beginning to realize how much of a clusterf*ck this is becoming

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2