PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

featips is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestion for upgrade phone

I am using HTC Touch Pro now, and I plan to upgrade to a better phone. Looks like there are new phones like TP2, HD2, EVO....

I mainly care about:

(1) The phone is stable, long battery life, and fast

(2) I do not play with lots of fancy functions. I mainly use it for call, browse internet, check email, and provide internet connection to my laptop.

Now my questions are:

(1) TP2 already came for a while, I heard it is much better than TP. However, I also saw that there are no hardware improvement (CPU is even slower). Is it worthy to upgrade to TP2 now?

(2) Is Android good enough compared with WM 6.5? If I choose EVO, can I still get similar function (especially internet connection for laptop) under Android as under WM? I am using SERVO plan, do I need to change my plan in order to use 4G? Or as long as you have a 4G-supported device, you will be able to use 4G.

(3) Is it more worthy to upgrade to HD2 instead of TP2? I seldom use the keyboard, so TPs's keyboard does not mean too much for me.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best,
Derek
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Suggestion for upgrade phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by featips View Post

(1) TP2 already came for a while, I heard it is much better than TP. However, I also saw that there are no hardware improvement (CPU is even slower). Is it worthy to upgrade to TP2 now?

(2) Is Android good enough compared with WM 6.5? If I choose EVO, can I still get similar function (especially internet connection for laptop) under Android as under WM? I am using SERVO plan, do I need to change my plan in order to use 4G? Or as long as you have a 4G-supported device, you will be able to use 4G.

(3) Is it more worthy to upgrade to HD2 instead of TP2? I seldom use the keyboard, so TPs's keyboard does not mean too much for me.
1) TP2 is a zillion times faster than a TP1 - you mustve been reading posts from before the TP2 came out and we argued over the specs.. its waaaay Faster though

2)SERO = NO ANDROID.. if your not willing to drop SERO, ANDROID IS NOT IN YOUR FUTURE.. so yes, youd need to change your plan to a minimum of 69.99 a month+EVOs $10 a month "cool fee"= $80/month minimum

3) i guess i didnt look at your carrie, but HD2 is not a sprint phone and you Will Not get it to work on sprint.. im assuming your sprint because your talking about the EVO

4) the EPIC comes out on the 31st of this month(pre-orders start on the 13th- tomorrow).. basically an EVO with a keyboard... BUT: if your not willing to drop sero, again im sorry, but it wont happen
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

well for now u can try to get ur tp replaced with a tp2 (i wouldn't buy it). the HD2 is tmo only ,and the evo is not compatible with SERO so ur best bet is to either wait till november for a wp7 phone or try the tp2 replacement.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

@ the op... fyi insurance is giveing out brand new in the box tp2's just got my replacement today

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

featips is just getting started

For getting a new phone from the insurance, we have to pay $100, right?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
For getting a new phone from the insurance, we have to pay $100, right?
Only if you loose it or have water damage. If you have a actual problem that they cannot fix and carry insurance on your phone there is no fee to have it replaced
Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Once you get your TP2, overclock it and set up the android dual boot! Not the same as the Evo, but as close as we can get without paying for more expensive plans.

P.S. All the links are in the thread in my sig
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

the insurance replacement, it's actually a hit or miss on getting a new phone. if you get lucky, they send you a new one. if not, you get a refurb. it's pretty much what they have currently in stock....or which one the claims agent want to give you.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: none

ghdtpdna is a n00b

Quote:
I am using HTC Touch Pro now, and I plan to upgrade to a better phone. Looks like there are new phones like TP2, HD2, EVO....

I mainly care about:

(1) The phone is stable, long battery life, and fast

(2) I do not play with lots of fancy functions. I mainly use it for call, browse internet, check email, and provide internet connection to my laptop.

Now my questions are:

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best,
Derek
1. No and Hell no
2. Android is much smoother and more lightweight. It is simply much more usable. Android is only getting better so if a functionality is not there, it will be soon enough. I would just drop SERO, if you are a business user than extra $20 is really not that big of a deal. Also I would say any Sprint plan is hardly overpriced.
3.You can't get HD2 like others have said.
Extra) Epic 4G is basically Evo 4G + Keyboard - Screen Size + Noticeably better GPU - Significantly worse Software.
I think you want exactly what I want = Big Screen + No Keyboard + Vanilla Android + Hummingbird (CPU/GPU found in Epic 4G)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdtpdna View Post
I think you want exactly what I want = Big Screen + No Keyboard + Vanilla Android + Hummingbird (CPU/GPU found in Epic 4G)
Get a Vibrant on T-Mobile

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2