PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Sprint
Carrier: Sprint

TTBadDog is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint vs. Verizon moving from TP to TP2

I have been a TouchPro user from mostly day one and now moving to a TP2. I can switch carriers but am curious if the Verizon version of TP2 is crippled the way the ToucPro was. Slower cpu, less mem, locked GPS etc. I installed a cab file on my TouchPro that gave me the Options as follows
Sprint
Automatic
Roaming
For the last year or so I think my phone has been forced to Roaming and is always forced roaming over to Verizon as when on Automatic it would frequently drop calls. This is what is leading me to just go to Verizon.

Will I have an issue with my GPS being locked? I use Garmin Mobile GPS that does NOT rely on cell signal to provide GPS service.

Has the hardware in the Verizon version of the TP2 been neutered as it was in the ToucPro versions?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Sprint vs. Verizon moving from TP to TP2

As far as I know, the CDMA TP2 hardware is all the same
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBadDog View Post

Has the hardware in the Verizon version of the TP2 been neutered as it was in the ToucPro versions?
No, Verizon has not crippled any of their phones since the original TP.

The Verizon TP2 is a pretty awesome phone.

~John
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TTBadDog is a n00b

That is what I needed to know. It now seems from reading that I will not be able to force roaming on Vrzn to Sprint. That should not be much of an issue as my roaming problem was other way around.
Thanks for the info.

Now just awaiting the word on the GPS if Verizon has it locked. I prefer to be able to use my Garmin on the phone instead of whatever version of navigation the cell company offers.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I'm not on the Verizon network, but I don't think it's locked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomango View Post
I'm not on the Verizon network, but I don't think it's locked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
the GPS is not locked, I used GarminXT in my VZ TP2 & it workes super.

~John
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

By the way, if you want a mint condition Verizon TP2 with MANY extras send me a PM.

It has had a steinhal screen protector & silicone case from day one & is unlocked running an NRG ROM.

I was not planning on selling it, but since I gota DroidX I haven't turned it on once so I might as well sell it.

I have extra batteries/chargers/multiple cases & extra screen protectors etc etc etc

~John
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

muyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmuyoso is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Is there a pressing reason why you are changing from a 2 year old phone to a 1 year old phone instead of switching to one of the faster more awesome alternatives?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

TTBadDog is a n00b

I work for a two letter computer company ending in P. We have a choice of "corporate approved" phones that I can use. We probably buy thousands of these and our IT dept does not want to support 20 different kinds of phones with security MMS, etc.
I would much rather get different phone even if I paid for it myself but they would spot on our intranet and shut it down.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2