PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Permanently disable radio?

Is there a way to prevent the phone from trying to connect with its radio? I have a TP2 that I bought on ebay that has been blacklisted and I just want to use it as a wifi only device for home automation. Is there a way to prevent the phone from ever going out of airplane mode? Maybe flash a radio for a different carrier? Or maybe someone knows of a hacked radio rom that would disable it. I just dont want it trying to connect after a flash, idk know how persistent sprint is in trying to get a blacklisted phone back.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Permanently disable radio?

Just goto settings/personal/phone and click the network tab and change "mode of operation" to GSM/UMTS only
Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 AM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I was looking more for a way to keep it off even after a flash.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabru2001 View Post
I was looking more for a way to keep it off even after a flash.
Sprints not gonna try to get it from you... you just cant activate it because the ESM is bad for whatever reason - my guess is either its a insurance claim that they didnt return the original device or they didnt pay their account to $0 b4 selling the device..

i dont really understand your radio thing though.. i have a deactivated TP1 here that i use wifi on all the time.. any reason you think you need the radio disabled?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tacotoy is becoming a great contributor

he wants to flash roms and have it have the radio disabled on the first boot of the rom without him having to change the settings.

the radio thing wont work...
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
he wants to flash roms and have it have the radio disabled on the first boot of the rom without him having to change the settings.

the radio thing wont work...
Or you're possibly going to brick your phone trying to do so.

I'm not sure if the OP is running into a situation where the phone takes itself out of airplane mode or he's just concerned that if it does for whatever reason, that it will connect with sprint.

Putting the phone into airplane mode and doing the settings I suggested by going into all settings/personal/phone, click network tab, select GSM/UMTS only and it will NEVER connect to sprint unless there is no SIM card deteted on start up AND ONLY if the phone was not in airplane mode.

Should the phone come out of airplane mode, it will hunt for a GSM network, which it will not find.

On the off chance that somehow the SIM card fell out, (which would mean the battery would have to fall out), then the battery fell back into the phone and for some reason the phone came out of airplane mode while it was off, then somehow the phone activated itself without a rep from sprint putting the esn into the system, ONLY at taht point would it "connect" to sprint.

Even then, I had a buddy that bought a TP2 off ebay and I warned him that people were selling stolen phones on ebay. Only after he activated it, did someone from sprint call him and tell him the phone was stolen BRAND NEW from Sprint's inventory, not an activated phone that someone stole from aanother person, but a phone that probably came from the back room of a sprint store.

He told them he bought it off ebay, gave all the information he had on the seller and "that was that", he used that phone unitll the touch screen stopped working and he got it replaced under the factory warranty at a sprint store.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2