PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

tarp21 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems receiving/making calls...anyone else?

I live in rural, north central Missouri and I'm between two cell towers about 9 miles apart. I believe I live in a "fringe" area as it seems the signal in my home is not as strong as outside or at work. Half the time I receive calls, the other half I don't. They come in as missed calls without the phone ever ringing or a voicemail will show up without the phone ringing. Sometimes when I go to make a call with a picture contact, it does not go through. I have to bring up the phone dialer and have to hit that button 3-4 times just to bring it up. Before it comes up, my phone shows the tower having no service. All this has happened for 6 months now since I first got the phone brand new, and I've finally had enough of it. This happens at home mostly, but has happened at work and when outside occasionally. I work for an ambulance service so you can just imagine not getting that phone call when all hell is breaking lose! It suck ass for my patients.

Calling sprint is like pulling teeth. Of course they never heard of this particular problem before...I call bullshit!

Took the phone to the sprint store. Came back all fine after testing it. They would not replace it. My wife has a TP2 as well, no problems on her end. I think the radio is going out on it or has issues, however, the tests are coming back that all is well with the phone. What do you all think? Please don't ask me to hard reset the phone. I have done it in the past several times 100% properly and that has never resolved the issue. I have stock WM6.1 and use mobile shell 3.5. I know it's not mobile shell because I ran the phone without MS after a hard reset for 2 weeks and it still did it. Again, using MS so I'm not using the standard volume with two seperate volume levels. Any suggestions different than what I covered gladly accepted. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Problems receiving/making calls...anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp21 View Post
I live in rural, north central Missouri and I'm between two cell towers about 9 miles apart. I believe I live in a "fringe" area as it seems the signal in my home is not as strong as outside or at work. Half the time I receive calls, the other half I don't. They come in as missed calls without the phone ever ringing or a voicemail will show up without the phone ringing. Sometimes when I go to make a call with a picture contact, it does not go through. I have to bring up the phone dialer and have to hit that button 3-4 times just to bring it up. Before it comes up, my phone shows the tower having no service. All this has happened for 6 months now since I first got the phone brand new, and I've finally had enough of it. This happens at home mostly, but has happened at work and when outside occasionally. I work for an ambulance service so you can just imagine not getting that phone call when all hell is breaking lose! It suck ass for my patients.

Calling sprint is like pulling teeth. Of course they never heard of this particular problem before...I call bullshit!

Took the phone to the sprint store. Came back all fine after testing it. They would not replace it. My wife has a TP2 as well, no problems on her end. I think the radio is going out on it or has issues, however, the tests are coming back that all is well with the phone. What do you all think? Please don't ask me to hard reset the phone. I have done it in the past several times 100% properly and that has never resolved the issue. I have stock WM6.1 and use mobile shell 3.5. I know it's not mobile shell because I ran the phone without MS after a hard reset for 2 weeks and it still did it. Again, using MS so I'm not using the standard volume with two seperate volume levels. Any suggestions different than what I covered gladly accepted. Thanks.
1. how can you live in "North Central" anywhere?? your either North, or in the center lol j/k

2. if your wife has exact same device and her service is fine, then your whole "fringe area" theory is out the window

3. radios dont "go bad" - but you can try flashing a new radio to see if you get better service.. theres lots to chose from

4. have you tried updating your PRL?

5. what does using MS have to do with volume keys?? i thought this was about signal strength, not call volume?

6. Sprint will give you an Airwave, and comp the monthly service fee if you just ask... lots of users here have got theirselves one and for free.. this boots your cell signal while in your house..

7. thats about all i got right now
Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have much the same problem with AT$T, but I live in the middle of a bustling metropolis called Los Angeles (maybe you've heard of it). It is so annoying that the voicemail alert comes through fine, but not the original call.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - RHOD400
Carrier: Sprint - SERO500

Counterfeit is keeping up the good workCounterfeit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
I have much the same problem with AT$T, but I live in the middle of a bustling metropolis called Los Angeles (maybe you've heard of it). It is so annoying that the voicemail alert comes through fine, but not the original call.
Ditto, but in North East Missouri. And yes bored it's possible to be in both the North and the East, haha.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

tarp21 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
1. how can you live in "North Central" anywhere?? your either North, or in the center lol j/k

2. if your wife has exact same device and her service is fine, then your whole "fringe area" theory is out the window

3. radios dont "go bad" - but you can try flashing a new radio to see if you get better service.. theres lots to chose from

4. have you tried updating your PRL?

5. what does using MS have to do with volume keys?? i thought this was about signal strength, not call volume?

6. Sprint will give you an Airwave, and comp the monthly service fee if you just ask... lots of users here have got theirselves one and for free.. this boots your cell signal while in your house..

7. thats about all i got right now
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes the PRL is updated. I've tweaked the programming on both our phones so that they poll the tower more frequently as well so it will ring quicker. Will look into flashing a new radio and the Airwave. Somone in another post said something about that they didn't have their volume up on phone side and never heard their phone ring, that's why the MS comment.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

yes radios can go bad. back when i had my TP i would have to hard reset every month because the phone would always indicate no service and i even have a thread about it ,however when i flashed different radios it didn't happen anymore.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
AT&T is also like the worst network for signal, so that explains that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfeit View Post
Ditto, but in North East Missouri. And yes bored it's possible to be in both the North and the East, haha.
of course theres North-East(NE).. but North Central?? come on lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
yes radios can go bad. back when i had my TP i would have to hard reset every month because the phone would always indicate no service and i even have a thread about it ,however when i flashed different radios it didn't happen anymore.
so your radio went bad?? like it expired? turned sour? got moldy? LOL j/k theres probably a million reasons you signal disappeared..
Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

tarp21 is a n00b

I will try to flash a new radio and see if that helps any. I can't believe you guys are laughing about north central missouri! LOL Look it up, Brookfield, MO. North part of missouri and central between the east/west state lines. We have a college named North Central Missouri State. This is funny!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

I would call and talk to retentions at sprint. Tell them your cellphone reception in your house sucks, the sprint store says your phone works as advertised, but you need better reception in your house or you will have to change carriers.
The other poster is right, they should give you an airwave. Make sure they don't charge you for it and comp your acct 10.00 a month to cover it. Some phone antennas just are better than others (even the same model phone).

p.s. Make sure you are holding it properly as well!!!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
AT&T is also like the worst network for signal, so that explains that lol
Yeah, wait until Verizon customers get the iPhone in January. They'll discover how bad their system is, too.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2