PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
337 L.V.
Pocket PC: HTC TP JR
Carrier: SPRINT

youngpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pagepool???

Ok can someone please explain to me what the pagepool is for?? I currently have mine set to 12. I was wanting to reflash and do 16. Just from hear say, so can someone explain to me exactly what pagepool is for and what it does?? Higher versus lower pagepools and the pros and cons of doing either? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - RHOD400
Carrier: Sprint - SERO500

Counterfeit is keeping up the good workCounterfeit is keeping up the good work
Re: Pagepool???

I'll put a quick bit of info from what I've gleaned so far from this site concerning PagePool on here..
Apparently (correct if wrong) it can make your device run smoother. Most people put it on 32, but no higher than that or it can eff up some programs...for instance Opera has a lot of trouble if you have it on 64 apparently. I don't have a TP2 yet so I have no first-hand experience. All I know haha, sorry.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Here's where I got that from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernSTYLE View Post
I will say that at first when I went from stock to a custom rom I noticed nothing, but some things I learned was, before flashing use the pagepool changer and up the size, I use 32 (not sure what the measurements are in) but my phone runs a lot faster and smoother. I wouldnt use 64 because when I tried I didn't have enough memory to even open opera. My phone runs fast even when 80% of the ram is used. I am on the Verizon phone but I'm sure they aren't that much different.

Also, in order to use pagepool changer you have to extract the .exe file using winrar or 7zip and it's in the folder.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

I usually stick with 16 for stability. Higher values are faster, but seem to crash more often. Lower values, don't do it! Of course 16 should work ok on most roms, even stock...

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
337 L.V.
Pocket PC: HTC TP JR
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

youngpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPyoungpro83 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfeit View Post
I'll put a quick bit of info from what I've gleaned so far from this site concerning PagePool on here..
Apparently (correct if wrong) it can make your device run smoother. Most people put it on 32, but no higher than that or it can eff up some programs...for instance Opera has a lot of trouble if you have it on 64 apparently. I don't have a TP2 yet so I have no first-hand experience. All I know haha, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfeit View Post
Here's where I got that from...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
I usually stick with 16 for stability. Higher values are faster, but seem to crash more often. Lower values, don't do it! Of course 16 should work ok on most roms, even stock...
Thanks for your guys input. I guess I will reflash and change the pagepool to 16. I am on a custom ROM and by default it is set at 12. My phone gets choppy at times, but I have had a better experience with a 15, 16 size pagepool. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

i could be wrong but i think 6.5 changed the rules when it comes to pagepool.
6.1 made a HUGE difference when changing value but with 6.5 it doesn't seem to do much.

haven't seen much posted about it since 6.5 came out on the tp1.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I use a 16mb pagepool in my ROM. Bigger or smaller really doesn't seem to make a huge difference.12mb pagepool is generally used on Verizon ROMs.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Droidrox39
Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

16 looks to be what I'll try when I purchase mine. Thanks for making this thread young, I learned something haha.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 AM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I use 8 on my custom 6.5.x ROM - really don't notice a difference with higher numbers.

32? I have never seen that before! 12 and 16 seem to be pretty common, and 20 is considered high.

Recommendation - flash it with several different pagepool sizes and pick the lowest number that seems quick and responsive to you. You're wasting program memory if you set it higher than that (whatever that number ends up being for you).
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post
i could be wrong but i think 6.5 changed the rules when it comes to pagepool.
6.1 made a HUGE difference when changing value but with 6.5 it doesn't seem to do much.

haven't seen much posted about it since 6.5 came out on the tp1.
Yes, I agree - I've tried small, big and dynamic pagepool sizes and really can't tell much (if any) difference.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2