PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint-SERO

googs185 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting a TP 2

Hey guys,

I was thinking about picking up a TP 2 and just wanted a little bit of advice. I'm on a sprint SERO plan and it seems like its the best phone I'm going to be able to get (unless anyone knows of any upcoming phones to wait for). Is it a good phone still to get at this point in time? Is the Android development for it going good and are the custom roms good for speeding up the normally laggy WM? I'm coming from a BB 8330 that I'm getting tired of. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik
Re: Getting a TP 2

TP2 is probably the best youre going to get on SERO, as it's lookin like all the new Android and WP7 devices are going to require a plan change... Custom ROMs make the phone WAY awesome!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

perry.rush is a n00b

I agree - ME personally - I would flash backwards to WM 6.1 and flash the radio to the newest version released with 6.5. Then again that is just me. I am staying with Sprint ONLY because of my TP2.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Ok Cool, I think I'm gonna grab one off of craigslist. There's a new one for like 200 bucks. My only thing is i'm afraid to brick it if I flash it. Another question: is it really slow and laggy?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry.rush View Post
I agree - ME personally - I would flash backwards to WM 6.1 and flash the radio to the newest version released with 6.5. Then again that is just me. I am staying with Sprint ONLY because of my TP2.
Why would you flash backwards?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by googs185 View Post
Ok Cool, I think I'm gonna grab one off of craigslist. There's a new one for like 200 bucks. My only thing is i'm afraid to brick it if I flash it. Another question: is it really slow and laggy?
It's almost impossible to brick a phone flashin ROMs. its the HSPL and radios you gotta watch out for.

Quote:
Why would you flash backwards?
Prolly cuz 6.1 is typically faster than 6.5. But 6.5 is MUCH more finger/user-friendly. IMHO...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Sorry for all the noob questions but what is the difference between flashing the radio and flashing the rom? What is flashing the radio? And what is HSPL?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

In order to upgrade the firmware to a custom ROM, you need to unlock. That is the HSPL.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Quote:
Sorry for all the noob questions but what is the difference between flashing the radio and flashing the rom? What is flashing the radio? And what is HSPL?
Don't apologize, man! thats why this forum is here!

Flashing a ROM is changing the OS of the phone, and each ROM has different functionality.

Flashing a radio deals with the reception of the phone (im not super technical into this so maybe someone can chime in more on that)

The HSPL is needs to be unlocked to flash ROMs and/or radios. Directions can be found in the "CDMA TP2 Upgrades" section.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the help guys! You all respond really fast and answer all my questions. I think I'm gonna go for it and grab at TP 2. The community is really great. One last thing...can I have a dual boot option to android and a custom rom?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2