PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

DrMaxima is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie question about customizing ROMs

Hey guys, gals, gurus, and fellow newbies,

I've managed to install a couple of different ROMs and really like the upgrade. However, I still find that I don't need all of the programs installed with these ROMs.

Particularly, I'm in love with the Energy ROM, but wish I could uninstall Opera, Twitter, Bing, Facebook Apps... (sorry if I offended anyone), which are such a resource HOGs. But I would like the Sprint TV app on my memory card... ideas?

Is there a way to do this, or am I going to end up making my own ROM by doing this?

Also, is there a ROM which installs only the bare essentials on the phone, and the rest onto a memory card?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Newbie question about customizing ROMs

Welcome to the board, this should have been posted in the general forum but anyways....

Something you might want to look into is Cooking you own ROM. there is a really good tutorial for it below,

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118553

As for having programs installed to the memory card, the only way to do this is have them installed after you have installed the ROM in a cab form. Some programs will not work very well running off the storage card. I don't even think you could install Sprint TV there but it would not be the best idea.

Just take some time reading through the link I posted above and give it a try. the chances of bricking your phone with it is about slim to none. it will be a lot of trial and error but in the end it feels good having something that you built to suit your needs.

Again welcome to the forums.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

Scenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIPScenemaker is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

As a general rule of thumb, I store just about every app to the phone memory. Most apps take up very little room and as long as you have all of your personal data such as music, photos and email attachments saved to the memory card, there is very little risk in filling up the storage space on your device. The reason you want to install the app to the phone is that the read/write time is increased by forcing your device to access the memory card to run the app. But, if you would like, you can put some of the apps on the memory card. However, if you flash a new ROM, you have to manually add the icons back into the start menu. There are some apps that you cannot install to the memory card. Some app won't give you a choice at all so those ones are obvious, but others may still give you the choice. Themes for one, cannot be installed to the card. Apps that change the way the phone operates such as screen locking apps, on screen keyboards like swype, home screen modifications such as Cookie and MaxManila to name a few. I used to install TONS of apps on my phone but I am now down to just the ones I use and I archive the rest of the .cabs on my memory card just in case. As long as you don't install every app you come across, you are in no danger of filling your devices limited internal memory.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Touch Pro 2 forum.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2