PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

richie18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation My TP2 now has 8 lives.

Cliff Notes: My TP2 survived a thunderstorm while being outside all night. How solid is this thing?

Long Version:

I woke up this morning to get ready for work as usual. After getting ready to upstairs to get some breakfast i do not see my phone in its usual morning spot charging. I think "hmm where did i leave it?".

After browsing around my house for about 10 minutes i figure i'll call my phone (duh). I give it a call and it goes straight to voice mail, i think "oh yeah i used Wifi Router last night and drained the battery to 20%". Now, still searching, i'm becoming frustrated that i can't find my phone and might be late for work.

And then it finally hits me. I left my phone outside last night. And of course my luck, there was a bad thunderstorm (midwest area) that went on all last night. I'm thinking oh shit there goes my phone.

I go outside and its where i last left it, soaked with water droplets all over the screen. I pick it up and water even drains out for a split second(!). I take it inside and take the battery cover off and battery out. Wipe it down as best i can then take a blow dryer to it for a few minutes.

I put the battery back in and nothing happens, BUT i realize that its probably dead from the aforementioned wifi router duties. Luckily I have a spare, i put it in and i feel that initial vibrate when the phone turns on and MightyRom comes on. I still had a few issues as water was completely out of it when i got to work so i let it dry till lunch and now after lunch all is well, keyboard works without a glitch.

I still can't believe that it survived. My water detection strip was completely red and falling off. I think its just a testament to how solid the TP2 is, when other phones would have surely died. Just wanted to share my story!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Switching to Android
Pocket PC: SameSung S3, (retired)HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Big Red.. Unless they piss me off!

clueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuffclueless25 knows their stuff
Re: My TP2 now has 8 lives.

Lucky sob lol

If Someone has helped you, don't forget to thank them.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

lol I think you used more than 1 with that.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

Actually,

Water damage (and shorting out) has become a thing of the past for quite some time now. Most small electronics now operate on such low voltages that it is nearly impossible to fry them with short-outs. You acually put your phone at greater risk by running the blow dryer on it. The best course of action for all electronics now days (after becoming submerged with water) is to remove the battery cover and remove the battery... and then leave the cover off (so the phone can air out) for ~ 24 hours. I have had 3 different pieces of electronics come back after exactly that. 3 out of 3 tells me that water issues are a thing of the past.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Poor tp2. Nickname it Joe Dirte lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

sjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't know if it's just my experiences or not, but when a phone gets water damaged it's never the same. My parents old razr got dropped in a sink filled with dish soap and water. Right away I took the battery out and put it in some rice, and let it dry out, then used a blow dryer to dry it on low. After a while started it up and it worked just fine, but then soon after stuff started going wrong, the screen would sometimes be messed up, certain things sometimes wouldn't work, and things like that.

It's also happening with my parents LG Chocolate 2, they dropped it in a puddle, and again I put it in rice for a day or 2, dried it with a blow dryer, and it's been working fine for a few months. But recently it's been acting up, sometimes it will just randomly shut itself off for no reason, and other issues. The same thing also happened to one of my old Kyocera Jet's, and to a used mogul I bought on craigslist, my sister needed a phone and I found a really cheap Mogul, but it was water damaged, it worked for a little bit, but then stuff started going wrong on it.

So from my personal experience, although it might seem like it's working fine I don't know if it will ever be the same.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 PM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

I wouldnt think it would be the same or at least last as long. I was in class and this girl next to me was smelling her phone. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I dropped my phone in the toilet last night and I was just making sure it was still working." Riiiiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhhhhttttttttt. That water damage changed that phone for life.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

3 words, bag of rice.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

i've dropped my phone in 2 puddles, both times screen down. the only after effect i have is the rainbow banding issue which messes up the scrolling sometimes, but even that goes away from time to time. when using the Wifi router i put my phone in the fridge to prevent it from overheating (dont judge me) and when i take it out the screen looks brand new.

i heard if your phone won't turn on, the best thing to do is take out the battery and put it in a bowl of rubbing alcohol so it will remove all the water, and then let it dry since alcohol evaporates faster. seems just like a run around now since it seems it'll never happen to these phones.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

my wife washed my phone old flip phone once (in the washer). took the battery out and left it to dry for several days. the screen had some color distortion for a few weeks but even that eventually cleared up. phone continued another 2 years till my wife broke it in half trying to open it.
My wife is very hard on phones, I don't let her touch my TP2.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2