PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What might be the difference in the roms that allow Wmodem use?

I need some expert help from chefs and people with expertise in roms. I have flashed my TP2 with stock 6.1 and 6.5 ROM and in both instance, I couldn't get Wmodem to work.

I set up wmodem as the way I set it up in Mogul and TP1 and when I dial in, I am stucked on the verify username screen on the pc.

The only persons so far I know have Wmodem working on their TP2 is someone on Verizon and someone who said they got wmodem to work on their friend's sprint TP2 with some unknown custom 6.5.3 rom.

The verizon person said that for some reason when they have mightyrom and mr.x.rom, the start button in Wmodem is greyed out so they couldn't start the program. But when they flash back to Vzon stock 6.5 rom wmodem works with no problem at all and that it's actually included in the stock vzon rom (probably not with the tethering detection reg entries disabled)

The person that got it to work on their friends sprint TP2 doesn't know which rom it is.

The reason I really need Wmodem to work is that I need a non NATed ip. ICS while worked does not provide a non NAT ip to allow me to get thr IPSEC and nasty VPN at my workplace. I know that about 90% of the population here doesn't give a damn about Wmodem thinking that it's ancient but there are definitely advantages that ICS can't provide compared to Wmodem

I have a feeling that it's not EPST settings that is the problem because flashing different roms doesn't change EPST settings and I already compare EPST between my TP1 and TP2.

I really appreciate any help on this. I have spent about 6 hours everyday for the last 2 weeks chking various forums and posts trying to get Wmodem to work on my sprint TP2. BEside, I definitely think it's interesting to know exactly what it is that sprint did to really disable the use of wmodem. Thanks for any response..

Last edited by wildpig; 05-30-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level
Re: What might be the difference in the roms that allow Wmodem use?

I feel like a noob lol.
wmodem=wi-fi router isnit?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin255764 View Post
I feel like a noob lol.
wmodem=wi-fi router isnit?
Heh, I don't mean to put you down, dude, but your response just definitely confirm my worst fear: people really don't know exactly what is wmodem and hence don't know about the advantage of it.

Wmodem has nothing to do with wmwifirouter or htc wifi router, beside the fact that these are 2 different ways to tether. Wmodem is one of the few ways you can get a non NAT'ed ip to your connected computer. Wmodem is an exe. The other ways are related programs like usb modem which definitely doesn't get as far in term of how close it looks like it will work on the tp2 compared to wmodem

wifi router actually double NAT your ip. The first NAT is the fact that its connection to the internet is based on ICS. Then once you get your net to your phone, it's NAT again by the phone acting as a router.

In a way, you can think of Wmodem giving you a non NAT ip as synonymous to you having your computer on the DMZ in your regular home router, with the actual external ip being actually convey to your computer instead of 192.168.*.

It is definitely not something I think a lot of people know or I think care to know until they have a need for it such as needing to get thr to VPN and IPSEC. There are also additional advantages such as lower latency and slightly faster speed due to less overhead.

It's definitely for a more advanced user. for 90% of the population, ICS works just fine. But as they say, easier is not always better..

More info on Wmodem: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=wmodem+dun

Last edited by wildpig; 05-30-2010 at 04:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Im out of "thanks" clicks for today.THANK YOU for info
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin255764 View Post
Im out of "thanks" clicks for today.THANK YOU for info
You're welcome dude. I defintely want to promote this somewhat forgotten but I think is in several way a superior method to tether.... at least it's the only way to get thr some of these VPN and IPSEC problems

Chefs and all people with more knowledge about this, much appreciated your help. I really need your insight about any possible detailed knowledge regarding what might it be... I don't have much technical knowledge about roms and the different files or reg setting that might account for this. Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Touch Pro 2 forum.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

why, why, WHY do you have a million threads about the same thing.. stop man, sheeeesh..

do you think if you ask it enough a Magic Anwser is gonna pop up??

and you "superior" method is Far from superior or we'd all be using it... your app outdated awhile ago...

we ALL use something different i understand.. but your method does the ONE thing YOU need it to... that doesnt make it "superior" in any way, just makes it practical for YOU to use is all

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 05-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

dude, if you don't like it then you definitely don't have to use it....

I am just hoping to reach the right person/answer. I've spent a lot of time on it. My limitation is that I don't know a lot of technical stuffs like specific reg entries or file system in the roms. Just hoping to run into someone that does.....

Last edited by wildpig; 05-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
dude, if you don't like it then you definitely don't have to use it....
It's not about whether or not he like's it, its the fact that you have made 3 or more threads on the same program.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55403

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122246

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122995

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55732

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55405

Is there any-reason you could not discus this in on of the existing threads?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

This specific one was addressed to the rom developers and differences in rom. I've kind of pin down the most probable cause to being something different in the rom.... could be something as simple as just a reg setting or possibly a missing file

I understand yr concern. Won't be making anymore new thread on this myself. But I aint giving up finding my answer.... Sprint and HTC can't win on this.....

I am just extremely real surprised that no one has checked on this issue before considering it seems to have been going on since the first 6.1 rom back in late 09.... Even with a minority of people using wmodem, I 've expected this issue to have been raised and resolved or at least find a thread somewhere where someone has at least tried real hard to get it resolved.

Last edited by wildpig; 05-30-2010 at 11:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2