PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 feedback from my trip to the Philippines

Hi guys...great to be browsing through the forums again after a few weeks of hiatus. made a trip to the Philippines (to visit the wife and the kids) with my sprint tp2. nothing much to say really. didn't have any problem using a local carrier's sim card. popped it right in got 3g right off the bat. but different spots in manila slid me in and out of 3g connection.

now the reason for this thread mainly is because i had to get my tp2 replaced a couple of days ago. my touchscreen just clonked out on me. what happened was when i was on the plane, i had the phone off. mid flight i checked the phone and noticed that there was a small smudge trail on my screen (kinda looked like the trail a snail leaves on the ground). when we started to de-plane, i turned on my phone and noticed that now, there was a small (what looked like) an air bubble at the end of the smudge mark. i didn't think nothing of it since i thought it was the screen protector and decided if it got too bad, i can just take the protector off. the following day, i noticed that everytime i used my phone to make a call, the bubble got bigger. by my first night back, my touchscreen was useless. took the screen protector off and found out that the smudge mark and bubble was actually under the screen of the phone.

i just wanted to know if what happened to my phone was because of the pressure at 40K feet...and if this had happened to anyone else before.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: TP2 feedback from my trip to the Philippines

Airplane pressure would not damage the LCD unless it was there already..my guess is the lcd had a leak on the inside but it was minor or hard to notice..but once you got on an airplane the pressure caused it to expand.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

blackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good work

Out of curiosity did you use Smart or Globe? Im going in Aug, and usually just buy a throwaway phone and a SIM, but this year I plan on using my TP2. I usually use Globe.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Zwei
Carrier: TNN (the now network)

bdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
i just wanted to know if what happened to my phone was because of the pressure at 40K feet...and if this had happened to anyone else before.
I have traveled w/ my TP2 several time and had no problems like you are describing. I tend to agree w/ gten. that you might have a had a small crack or something before and the pressure caused it to expand. Good luck with the new one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Airplane pressure would not damage the LCD unless it was there already..my guess is the lcd had a leak on the inside but it was minor or hard to notice..but once you got on an airplane the pressure caused it to expand.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Threadstarter

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

thanks guys for the feedback. your explanation makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
Out of curiosity did you use Smart or Globe? Im going in Aug, and usually just buy a throwaway phone and a SIM, but this year I plan on using my TP2. I usually use Globe.
save your money my friend and just buy the sim card to use on your tp2. i used Globe Tattoo prepaid sim when i was there. the sim will let you use your phone as modem, if i remember correctly, for PhP5/15mins of connection. never got a chance to try it though. if you were gonna be in the region of Luzon, i would recommend Smart. not sure regarding the Visayas/mindanao region. travelled almost up to the northern tip of the Philippines to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte and my Globe signal was weak majority of the time....but my nephew who uses Smart had better signal than i did. while i only got 1 or 2 bars he was getting much better signal/reception than i was. wanted to make the sitch to smart but expected important phone calls and the number i gave was the Globe number
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO/TP2 for World phone Use

Bootup is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
thanks guys for the feedback. your explanation makes sense.

save your money my friend and just buy the sim card to use on your tp2. i used Globe Tattoo prepaid sim when i was there. the sim will let you use your phone as modem, if i remember correctly, for PhP5/15mins of connection. never got a chance to try it though. if you were gonna be in the region of Luzon, i would recommend Smart. not sure regarding the Visayas/mindanao region. travelled almost up to the northern tip of the Philippines to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte and my Globe signal was weak majority of the time....but my nephew who uses Smart had better signal than i did. while i only got 1 or 2 bars he was getting much better signal/reception than i was. wanted to make the sitch to smart but expected important phone calls and the number i gave was the Globe number
Thanks for the info. I'm also heading over in August and wondered the same thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

lymon is a n00b

The same exact scenario happened to the screen of my Moto Q 9 C several years ago except, I wasn't in an airplane at the time. I posted on several forums but, never got a response, it must be a relatively rare occurrence.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootup View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm also heading over in August and wondered the same thing.
yeah i would go for a Smart sim. although i said i was getting 1 to 2 bars of signal with the Globe Tattoo sim, it was more of a hassle for me trying to play an invisible DDR revolution game while trying to keep the measley two bars i would get from moving around. Globe's signal got weaker as you went further away from Manila going north. I would say from Pangasinan onwards was where i hit the signal quality snag. my nephew said that was the reason why people in Pangasinan use Smart....because it had way better signal quality.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2