PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

KCHruby is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Tethering Question

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've got a few questions regarding Tethering. I apologize for asking becaues I know there are dozens--if not hundreds--of threads that already discuss it. The problem is most of those threads are very long, with a lot of discussion and it's difficult to pick up the useful information from the extraneous information.

I'm dealing with a Touch Pro 2 and the Sprint Network. Just in case it's important, I did NOT opgrade when WM 6.5 came out a month or 2 back. I figured if my phone's not broke, don't fix it. Also, I've still got the stock ROM.

I'm traveling to the Bahamas on Tuesday and have already contacted Sprint to make sure my data connection will work.

So, what do I need so my laptop can access the internet through my phone?

When I plug in the USB cable to sync, I always get the "Internet Sharing" option but when I click on it, my phone loads the "Internet Sharing screen" but then errors out with a Code 67.

"Registration failure. Your PCS Vision username and/or password may be incorrect."

I hate to mess with any password settings because my phone's data connection works great--I can easily surf the internet on my phone.

I just downloaded and installed ICS_and_WModem_Fix which I just found on this site but it doesn't have any instrcutions so I'm not sure what to do after it's installed adn I reboot.

If anybody can help me I'd appreciate it.

Please let me know what I'm missing. What else is needed to use tethering?

Thanks,

KCHruby
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work
Re: Tethering Question

I use a prog called WModem on my TP. You can search for it in Titan forum W/ the download link and registry setting.

Not the simpliest way but has worked fine for me since Titan.

Of course,there are other ways.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Have you tried the stealth cab in the sticky?

Also make sure that you connect to Sprint and not Phone As Modem connection.

Last of all be prepared for crazy charges in Bahamas for data if you plan to use it >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KCHruby is a n00b

I did try the Stealth cab in the sticky--that was actually the .cab I reference in my initial post.

Supposedly, I'm signed up with Sprint to get a data connection while I'm in the Bahamas. It only cost me a few dollars for the week I'll be there. Let's hope it works as advertised.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHruby View Post
I did try the Stealth cab in the sticky--that was actually the .cab I reference in my initial post.

Supposedly, I'm signed up with Sprint to get a data connection while I'm in the Bahamas. It only cost me a few dollars for the week I'll be there. Let's hope it works as advertised.
I would not be watching any movies with it or streaming anything those $3000.00 bills suck, never trust Sprint when they say sure your data works they just don't tell you to bring the lube when you get the bill.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHruby View Post

ok what about connection to the Sprint connection and not phone as modem connection?

And yes sprint will just reuse BTC and charge you $0.016/KB thats $16.384 per megabyte...

Edit:

BTC charges $24.99 per month for Data

Pay as you go $10 per month access fee n/a $0.20 per minute week days, $0.10 per minute evenings, $0.15 per minute weekends
$19.99 100 $0.20 per minute week days, $0.10 per minute evenings, $0.10 per minute weekends

aka 2mb on sprint is like getting a month service there with unlimited data

Last edited by gTen; 05-16-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

And I want to add that just by going to http://ppcgeeks.com and viewing the front page with sprint in Bahamas would be 1269241 bytes or 123.94921875 kb

and would cost you

$1.98

aka $2 to visit the front page lol
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Question about this...on my account (everything data) Sprint shows a "Data Worldwide" add-on for $40/mo. "This add-on includes unlimited international web access and email". Oddly enough it only talks about the Samsung Ace for GSM, but I wonder if that's just outdated copy since the Intrepid, BB 8830, and TP2 have GSM data capabilities.

If I were traveling I would tack on that add-on for the duration of my trip and presumably be able to contest any international pay-per-kb data charges with Sprint based on that add-on being listed on my account prior to travel. Is that not the case? Seems a small price to pay for insurance against needing the lube.

It's not clear from OP if "[contacting] sprint to make sure data will work" is the same as adding this plan add-on or not.

Edit:
Quote:
Sounds like the data add-on has been added there.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

KCHruby is a n00b

I just reconfirmed with Sprint. The Worldwide Data Plan is $40 per month but they will prorate it if you only need it for a limited time. In my case, it's costing me about $10 for the week in the Bahamas. According to the Sprint representative--in the Sprint Worldwide Department--this is for UNLIMITED access. No other fees apply for internet connection while I'm in the Bahamas.

Just in case, I did get her name but for now, I'm going on the assumption that I will have unlimited access.

Having said all that, I'm still looking for help with my original question--tethering while in the Bahamas. So far WModem seems to be the only option that was suggested to me. Are there more?

Thanks,

KCHruby
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

htc wifi router with give your pc access and sprint will not know unless they look hard at your incoming and outgoing data. Which they could do with any hack you try.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2