PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

nyCecilia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
getting fed up (rant, but maybe someone can help?)

I'm really getting fed up with my Sprint TP2. Some things it does really well, but the overall configuration is getting to me. I'm on (at least) my 5th time resetting everything, but I can't even begin to remember all that I did last time, all that I did last time that I don't want to do again, what new stuff I thought might work this time...in other words, it's just plain confusing and waaay too time consuming for a device that is supposed to make my life easier. I can't keep track of all this stuff anymore, and I am a neurotic note-taker/organizer.

I'm still on 6.1 because of all the problems I've read about here re: 6.5. I'm stuck with all sorts of sprint crap that I want to delete, but what I thought would help me get rid of the NFL program (why do I need that?????? Go away already!), the DotFred task manager, is too complicated. At one point I know I used it to disable bluetooth (which I have no use for but likes to slow down my phone) but can't even manage that with the version I have now, I'm completely lost on how to do that and don't remember how I did it before.

Then there's the butt dialing, which initially was solved with PocketShield, but now it seems that Pocketshield is SO effective that I can't even answer a call anymore. I have to turn the phone off then back on again and call the person back. HUH?????? (this recent hard reset is mostly an attempt to fix this)

I really did love my TP2 at one point, but right now I'm just trying my best to hold on until the EVO comes out and hope to all heck that it solves at least some of my problems. But right now I'm trying to put my phone back together sort of how I had it this morning, but without some of the stuff that became annoyances (my battery icon disappeared and I couldn't get it back, and AmazeGPS turned out to be horrible but it wouldn't delete itself properly either). So far I've spent my entire lunchtime, and I'm still not even close to there. Digging through threads on this forum and others...and trying to distinguish 6.1 progs from 6.5...I'll spend the whole day doing this

This is waaaay too stressful. Definitely not fun anymore.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

austrian1986 is a n00b
Re: getting fed up (rant, but maybe someone can help?)

Flash to a 6.5 rom (I'm using Sprint Lovers 6.5X) and install S2U2 slidelock for VGA to prevent pocketdial. Doing so has mitigated most if not all problems I've had with the phone thus far.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

think you can't answer calls due to a non-cdma freindly app being used.
the suspend resume cab in my signature will fix that issue..

aside from dotfred not being fancy or finger friendly, I use it all the time with my thumb. what's so complicated about it (other than it lets you see ALL the wm gutz.)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

wud_e is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

You should really try upgrading your ROM. I just flashed to a 21903 based ROM and it's great.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

He first has to be willing to reconcile with his phone
Sounds like he's to the point of giving up on his TP2
I too once had a TP2, now I have a Samsung Moment
The TP2 was given to my girlfriend and she loves it!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Flashing the rom: I suppose I could do this, but it seems to me to be no better than what I'm doing now, probably worse. The reason there are so many roms is that no one rom does it all, so I'd end up going crazy trying to figure out which rom works for me. I just don't have the time or patience for that anymore. Or maybe I'm just having a stress day. Either way, between learning how to flash a rom and then dealing with figuring out which rom, and then dealing with figuring out how to use that particular Rom, my head hurts. And most of my friends consider me their computer guru. Hah. FAIL!

Shaggy, is there any way to determine which ap is non-CDMA? I was extremely careful in picking out what I wanted to run and to make sure it said *SPRINT* in big bold letters. And it's not even like I had that much installed! At any rate, I already did the reset, so all I have to do is NOT install whatever it is that messed everything up.

Yeah, I didn't expect DotFred to be fancy or finger friendly, like I said, I did use it the last time I reinstalled everything. The problem is that I"m frustrated with the time I have to spend figuring out how to do what I did again.

Can someone tell me how to get rid of NFL Live, NASCAR, and all the pay-for Sprint services? I'm never going to buy anything from their software store or pay to watch TV on my phone. I can't even begin to talk about how inappropriate it is to force me to have NFL and NASCAR on a BUSINESS CLASS phone. These are games, not business. Or at least give me soap operas so I can have fun too

As I'm going through the list of stuff I have to reinstall, I came across a program called WkTask, it might have been the last thing I installed so maybe it caused the problem? I don't even remember what it's supposed to do anymore.

In case anyone besides me is curious, this is the full list of things I had installed this morning before the cleanout, I can't imagine them causing a CDMA lockup:

PocketPlayer
PocketShield
Opera Mini5
Google Maps/Search
Evernote
MS MyPhone
FdcSoft Task Manager
mobireader
contactchanger
NetCFv35
WkTask TA TP2

Last edited by nyCecilia; 05-12-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

nevergonnauseth is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nevergonnauseth Send a message via Yahoo to nevergonnauseth

how many different task managers do you have installed?!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnauseth View Post
how many different task managers do you have installed?!
Haha, I think I did the DotFred thing trying to disable bluetooth and get rid of NFL/NASCAR (but don't think I ever accomplished that 2nd thing, at least not with dotfred), and then the other one had something to do with volume. Maybe that's the source of the pocketshield lockup problem, but still, now I can't get anything back to the way it was.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
Haha, I think I did the DotFred thing trying to disable bluetooth and get rid of NFL/NASCAR (but don't think I ever accomplished that 2nd thing, at least not with dotfred), and then the other one had something to do with volume. Maybe that's the source of the pocketshield lockup problem, but still, now I can't get anything back to the way it was.
Honestly, i'll try to break it down for you as best I can.

I have only had my TP2 working perfectly a couple times. The first was after I slightly tweaked the stock 6.1 TF3D 2.0. The second was just recently when I've installed BareNakedRom, not because its better than anything else, but because it gives me the options to customize how I want.

TF3D 2.0 has no eyecandy, no home screen weather and no "My Location". You choose the city and thats that. It has the same basic features of Manila 2.1/2.5 without the newer twitter, facebook etc tabs. Everything is a little less touch friendly, but boy is it smooth! Install SSK Dynamic Resource Proxy and NoPushInternet to help keep RAM low on startup. Also download something like SKTools, from there you can disable BT and any other programs you don't use from starting up. If you like having the slider at the bottom of your screen this is the way to go.

BNR is another great alternative. It comes, well Bare. There is literally no add ons and I boot around 25% RAM usage. I've personally installed SPB MS but have also tried it with Sense 2.1. Both seem to run very smooth and do not come bloated with all that carrier BS. I have yet to get close to 50% RAM usage, and this is after 2 days of solid use (I idle around 40-45%).

As far as I can tell all those programs should be fine, so the issue is something else.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonsnow8 View Post
Honestly, i'll try to break it down for you as best I can.

I have only had my TP2 working perfectly a couple times. The first was after I slightly tweaked the stock 6.1 TF3D 2.0. The second was just recently when I've installed BareNakedRom, not because its better than anything else, but because it gives me the options to customize how I want.

TF3D 2.0 has no eyecandy, no home screen weather and no "My Location". You choose the city and thats that. It has the same basic features of Manila 2.1/2.5 without the newer twitter, facebook etc tabs. Everything is a little less touch friendly, but boy is it smooth! Install SSK Dynamic Resource Proxy and NoPushInternet to help keep RAM low on startup. Also download something like SKTools, from there you can disable BT and any other programs you don't use from starting up. If you like having the slider at the bottom of your screen this is the way to go.

BNR is another great alternative. It comes, well Bare. There is literally no add ons and I boot around 25% RAM usage. I've personally installed SPB MS but have also tried it with Sense 2.1. Both seem to run very smooth and do not come bloated with all that carrier BS. I have yet to get close to 50% RAM usage, and this is after 2 days of solid use (I idle around 40-45%).

As far as I can tell all those programs should be fine, so the issue is something else.
Haha, I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life trying to figure out SKTools, which promised to remove the Sprintcrap, but the uninstaller portion doesn't even show that stuff, so how can you uninstall what you can't see???????? Do I have to pay to see if it will work? Because I won't pay until I know I can do it properly (yes, I'm willing to pay a developer for their help, even though he shouldn't have had to spend his time making something that should be standard). GRRRRRRR (not at you, I'm just frustrated)

I haven't even run TF3d in any version since the first few weeks of having the phone. I tried SPB Mobile for a time and it was pretty good, but I have been just as happy with the WinMo today screen, and I don't have to pay for that. Don't need fancy stuff. Can look out the window to see the weather (we don't really have weather in SF, we just have fog ) Don't use twitter, and rarely use FB (and the little I do, I can go through Opera and I'm happy enough for those 5 sec).

I forgot to mention that I did install the tweaks package, so I think that includes the no push internet? Maybe the SSK too? and a few other things that I know are mandatory (something about texts, which is something I use a lot of)

I am so tempted to try BNR on your suggestion, but am really afraid of regretting it and being back to where I started...it's fine to be playing with this stuff when you have free/downtime, but when work gets busy and you don't have the time, you just want it to WORK and not have to deal with all these failed attempts at something that should be standard on the phone (ie. the ability to remove Sprintcrap). A phone is supposed to make your life EASIER, not HARDER, eh?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2