PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

zachin2036 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 TP2s, one PC - how do I update both?

My wife and I both have Sprint TP2s...and I did the March 6.5 update already with the help of my PC. When I attempt to update her phone with the same PC, will it sync my contacts to her phone too? I read conflicting things around the internet - some people say to delete the partnerships between the device and PC, some people say you can establish a "guest" account in Activesync. Seems like it should be easier than having to delete contacts from Outlook.

Oh, and the dealbreaker - we both use the same Windows account too.

I don't want to nuke my wife's contacts, or sync hers to my PC. I just want to update her TP2 to WinMo 6.5...

Any suggestions?

here's stuff I had seen:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...4-4b010edbe389

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=160838

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MoPho

krnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to krnfrk6663 Send a message via MSN to krnfrk6663 Send a message via Yahoo to krnfrk6663
Re: 2 TP2s, one PC - how do I update both?

If you're not wanting to sync her contacts to the computer, then just connect without setup. It gives you those options when you connect a virgin sync to your computer. :P
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mbritt80 is keeping up the good workmbritt80 is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

You can set her up a gmail or myphone account to back up contacts
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ActiveSync should let you sync two different devices, it goes by device name, if her device name is different from yours then AS should recognize it as a new device and give you the options on what you want to sync. Just clear every check box and you should be good to run the 6.5

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

newkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

When you plug in a new phone, it gives you the option to choose what you want to sync. you can uncheck everything, and be done with it. if you want to back up contacts, you can download the attached file. it is called PIM backup. it will let you back all your files up to the SD card and Restore it through the same program. Just unzip the file, put the .exe file on your SD card and go to the file explorer and double click it. easy as pie!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PPCPimBackup.zip (168.9 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!
Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidd View Post
When you plug in a new phone, it gives you the option to choose what you want to sync. you can uncheck everything, and be done with it. if you want to back up contacts, you can download the attached file. it is called PIM backup. it will let you back all your files up to the SD card and Restore it through the same program. Just unzip the file, put the .exe file on your SD card and go to the file explorer and double click it. easy as pie!

Great - thanks - so I do that in Windows on PC? Or WinMo?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

newkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachin2036 View Post
Great - thanks - so I do that in Windows on PC? Or WinMo?
upzip pimbackup.zip on windows pc, copy over to SD card and run PIMBackup.exe on your phone.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidd View Post
upzip pimbackup.zip on windows pc, copy over to SD card and run PIMBackup.exe on your phone.
Awesome, thanks - I'll give it a shot
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

just wanted to say thanks again guys - this was less scary than I originally thought it would be. A couple of random points...

- that PIMBackup was perfect. I also just saw a review of Microsoft MyPhone on FreewarePocketPC, and it seems like I should have my wife use that app to at least back up her photos (which are more important to her than her contacts!)

- Somehow her microSD got corrupted during the process of putting it into our reader and dragging things back and forth. I have NO idea how. Luckily, I had already copied off her photos and videos. I wasn't able to access the card on my PC's Windows Explorer or in the phone. I had to actually go to Windows XP's Disk Management tool and re-format the card. Yikes.

- Oddly enough, when I upgraded her phone, her PRI upgraded too (to 2.20_003). When I upgraded mine, the PRI was still 1.42_003 after the upgrade. This is only odd to me because we used the same upgrade file (I kept it after my upgrade in my CAB/EXE backup folder).
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

might want to update yours again. the stock ROMs have the radio included so it should have updated. if it didn't, then chances are something else didn't update as well.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
6.5, tp2, update