PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

glassweaver is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it safe to use WmWifi router without any prior tweaking?

Anyway, I've been using WmWifi router to tether on my TP2 with sprint for Months now, but the information I'm seeing in this thread:http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96739

kind of has me running scared. I'm on Sprint, and it looks like *SO FAR* Sprint isn't trying to rape those of us tethering on our own, but I just want to ask if anyone knows whether or not I should do the tweaks mentioned in that thread prior to continued runs of WmWifiRouter.

Also, if I should apply the detection hack mentioned in that thread, is there anything else I should do to safeguard my ass?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Is it safe to use WmWifi router without any prior tweaking?

make sure you're running your wmwifirouter thru Sprint...and NOT phone as modem.

I have Sprint and have been "tethering" with WMWifirouter, and have NOT YET incurred extra charges. Do so smartly and quite obviously at your own risk.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MoPho

krnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to krnfrk6663 Send a message via MSN to krnfrk6663 Send a message via Yahoo to krnfrk6663

I have an off question, it kind of made me stop using WMWifi router.. but does it change your connection notification settings? When I had it and used it after the first time it would change the spot where you put a sound for connection established, and make it look exactly like the ring tone selecting one. Just wondering if you guys had something similar.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sherm420 is a n00b

im on sprint using their 6.5. with no prior tweaks im using wmwifirouter 2.0 and have not seen a tethering charge. that being said i generally dont use it often.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

i use 14-20gbs of data monthly on atleast 2 of my 3 devices.. thats almost 30-40gbs total a month for my account... using all the tethering methods and have done so for about 2yrs now..i use WMWifi more than anything still and have never seen a charge..

that thread seemed to be for like TMO users more specifically than anything.. something about a second/seperate INTSHRU file that was being called to be used instead of the native and typical stocck INTSRU we were using.... its all been fixed in Custom ROms...

it was never an issue for sprint users though it seemed... tether away, just remember, technically we are stealing and avoiding charges, if charges ever do occur, its OUR OWN FAULT for doing it and noone elses....... ive never understood, why we so openly talk about tethering theft... i mean most people dont usually brag about stealing thngs out in the open like that... oh well though, i tether and even have threads on it... just never understood why we brag so much about it
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

glassweaver is a n00b

I haven't noticed WmWifi change anything that it doesn't revert back to normal *as long as you exit the program through "its" exit buttons.* If I just kill it in task manager or something, anything it does temporarily change does seem to stick until I restart and properly exit it.

I'm running V 1.6.

Anyway, I tried emailing morose media this same question, so when (if) they reply I'll post what they have to say back here for everyone. For now though, just to be extra safe, I did go and apply the modified files that non-sprint-users seem to have to apply. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

glassweaver is a n00b

To anyone who was awaiting this reply, sorry it's taken me so long to post it.
I just got a new 120 gallon fish tank and got in a minor car accident. Things have been quite busy lately!

Well, as promised, here's what morose media had to say about my concern:

Quote:
Dear <Redacted>,

Tethering through WMWifiRouter uses your cellular internet connection and thus bandwidth provided by your carrier. While with many carriers it is possible to use WMWifiRouter in such a way it is not immediately apparent to them that you are tethering, doing so may be in violation of your carrier's Terms of Service, and they may charge you afterwards or even disconnect you from their service.

While we have never heard of either of those occuring using WMWifiRouter, and several of our customers use it this way, we advise everyone to make sure they have the correct data plan to go with their WMWifiRouter usage.

To address your specific question, to our knowledge (no guarantees) the issue mentioned in the thread does not affect WMWifiRouter. We have never received any report from any of our users getting charged for tethering using WMWifiRouter, ever. We still strongly advise you to get the correct data plan for your usage, though.

Kinds regards,
WMWifiRouter Customer Support

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2