PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: SpRiNt

curving_edge is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fresh noob to pick on!

First off, I have a Sprint Touch Pro 2. v6.5

Second, I am very new to the windows mobile interface. I have done some research about what you can do to this device and find it very somewhat complicated. You can do roms, apps, games, flashy lights, fonts, themes, and etc... Torrents?

I want to learn all there is to know. I understand that there is alot to learn. Its like cars, Im awesome at putting them together as if a 'soccer-mom' wouldn't know a thing.

I am definitly open to anything. I have a phone that is used for the 'basic' user and want to make it into my piece of technological art.

Thanks for your help!
-Curv
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff
Re: Fresh noob to pick on!

Welcome to the forum! This place is the best place to hang out and learn, as it's full of bright helpful folks to lend a hand to every possible question you might have.

With that said, the best advice I can give you is to read, read and then read some more, as there is an incredible amount of helpful threads here to absorb as you craft this device to your own piece of art.

Enjoy your TP2!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curving_edge View Post

Second, I am very new to the windows mobile interface. I have done some research about what you can do to this device and find it very somewhat complicated. You can do roms, apps, games, flashy lights, fonts, themes, and etc... Torrents?

I want to learn all there is to know. I understand that there is alot to learn. Its like cars, Im awesome at putting them together as if a 'soccer-mom' wouldn't know a thing.

I am definitly open to anything. I have a phone that is used for the 'basic' user and want to make it into my piece of technological art.

Thanks for your help!
-Curv
Are you asking if you can do torrents? if so the answer is yes.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: .
Carrier: .

milesnapue is becoming a great contributor

Start by reading through this thread : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252
then from there find yourself a rom that looks appetizing from here : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Then after you familiarize yourself with Windows Mobile you could also dualboot and run the Android OS (one or other, not both simultaneously) on our phones as well , check here : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

Don't forget to hit the Thanks.

Last edited by milesnapue; 03-30-2010 at 11:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curving_edge View Post

Thanks for your help!
-Curv
Welcome Curv!

Windows Mobile has been at the forefront of being a very flexible OS, as it is based very closely on many of the same models that desktop versions of Windows use. If you can think of an app, it's probably out there somewhere!

One thing that trips up a lot of users - They load the Marketplace app and don't see many apps, and leave thinking that WM (Windows Mobile) doesn't have as many apps as say, the iPhone. We do, but the catch is that they are not all neatly organized in a central place. Many are only available from the publisher's website, in the form of something called a CAB file.

You asked about torrents, take a look here: http://www.wmtorrent.com/home_index.html

These phones are the ultimate in flexible - You can spend time wrapping the phone around your pinkie finger, so to speak. Though that's not without some risk - The OS will let you do almost anything, with very little in the way of safeguards. Keep any data you want to be sure to preserve on the storage card or backed up on your PC. If you screw the phone up from tinkering, you can always do what's called a 'Hard Reset', which will basically delete everything off of the internal storage (OS included), and reload from a protected backup image. Flashing a custom ROM involves the loss of that original image, but it can be easily restored, if say, you need to send the phone back for service.

I was just thing about the torrent app I linked you to. Other than being limited by available processor power/RAM/storage space, it is possible to be torrenting a movie, watching another in a player, and carrying on several IM conversations.. All at the same time. GPS apps, Skype audio chats, WiFi Internet Sharing, you name it. If you can do it on your PC, you can probably do it on these phones, with one notable exception - The current generation has lousy graphics capabilities, so any heavy gaming is probably out, unless the game is specifically written to account for our phones. (There is a 2/3D accelerator chip inside, but the manufacturer never released drivers.) Some software can work around it by directly accessing the chip.

Enjoy!

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 03-31-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/800w/HTC TP/TP2/HD2
Carrier: Sprint/Tmobile

Improve is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on repImprove is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Improve

Another thing to keep in mind (new geeks), for just about everything we do here there is a "how to video" on youtube that someone here or from xda-dev, or WMexperts or similar site put up themselfs. So in addition to all the reading if you need some visual help on how to do something know that theres many options for help out there. Also since you mentioned that your on 6.5 (twitter tab) take advantage of twitter. I follow many people here including ppcgeeks.com/twitter, this is how I keep in the know of whats going on here. Welcome to the site.=D>
Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

*pick, pick, pick* ok this noob is done. NEXT! jk

Welcome to the forum! Take your time and explore, you will not believe the fun, and the chaos, that your TP2 will help with!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Google 'WMtorrent" for torrent software. Velkommen

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Welcome to the site... You're well on your way to getting your phone just the way you want it... Then... You'll want to change it again.
I believe the best advise has been given to you... read read read... Thank thank thank. backup backup backup. Words to live by.
p.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Welcome OP! I think you are doing the right thing by introducing yourself & stating your goals.
Every1 here is very helpful & this place is very organized as seen by some of those links above.

That said, if you are not into flashing a customized ROM, there are still the same flexibility in making the TP2 still as effective as one that his been customized.

Look into the Cleanup thread to start things off with stock ROM, & then start playing around with all the threads that add the bits & pieces to your handset.

Don't be afraid to ask 'smart' questions.

& by that I mean it shows you did some research.
Nothing irks ppl more than a noob who post a question where the answer is in a stickied thread right above their post! (I can see 2 or 3 of those right now in ths forum LOL!)

Welcome again!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2