PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

joeyc1123 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
use true gps only?

is there anyway to turn off agps so that when using google maps or when touchflow weather detects your location, it will be precise? my guess is that the reason my location on touchflow is always 1 or 2 towns over because it's getting the agps signal and is not a true location from a satellite so I want my phone to only get the satellite location and not to estimate using towers. Anyway to do this????thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: use true gps only?

verizon TP2 doesn't have agps setup unless you added it. The weather location goes by the ip address which is assigned by the cell tower. So wherever the tower is located is your location
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

joeyc1123 is becoming a great contributor

kinda blows but thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well, it doesn't always go by the tower location.

I've got a Sprint Airave femtocell. It's hooked up to a GPS receiver, without which it won't work. However, the location service in 6.5 ROM's always shows my location as being in "Jackson." As far as I can tell, this is Jackson, NJ but I can't tell for certain. I'm in NH.

Annoying.

Last edited by mstevens; 03-17-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyc1123 View Post
is there anyway to turn off agps so that when using google maps or when touchflow weather detects your location, it will be precise? my guess is that the reason my location on touchflow is always 1 or 2 towns over because it's getting the agps signal and is not a true location from a satellite so I want my phone to only get the satellite location and not to estimate using towers. Anyway to do this????thanks in advance
if you have the airave, that explains the touchflow weather misreading (it bases your location from your service provider). otherwise, I have found the agps to be very acurate in terms of aproximation.
as for google maps, have you turned on the gps receiver? mine always locks on after a few seconds of being on
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community

using advanced config 3.3 you can disable agps...i also recommend disabling gps logging to improve your accuracy

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleki View Post
if you have the airave, that explains the touchflow weather misreading (it bases your location from your service provider).
For clarification, I (the guy who posted about the Airave) am not the OP.

The OP complained about being located some distance away but still in his local area, as one might expect if the tower is located in a nearby town.

In my case, I get located many hundreds of miles away. As I said, I can't be sure "Jackson" is in New Jersey, but there's no Jackson anywhere near here. I guessed New Jersey based on Google Maps with the GPS turned off.

To the OP: weather and other location-based services are going to be pretty close to accurate even if the tower is actually a few miles away. As long as you're not using an Airave, that is.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Well, it doesn't always go by the tower location.

I've got a Sprint Airave femtocell. It's hooked up to a GPS receiver, without which it won't work. However, the location service in 6.5 ROM's always shows my location as being in "Jackson." As far as I can tell, this is Jackson, NJ but I can't tell for certain. I'm in NH.

Annoying.
werd is born. my airave does same shit. pisses me off. same location. also yes it is nj. im in ny...has nothing too do with google or agps. I have my agps disabled. i even have a google account and set it manually to my location for starting point when it fires. it will show me correct as does my garmin. with airave on in in jackson. although past few day its said ny...first time sine tp2 had a 6.5 rom i seen that. maybe in release of update coming out. idk. but i shut the airave off it reads me 1 town away in location. funny thing is i can run google maps and it shows me correct.

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

Last edited by kaos; 03-17-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood

REAL GPS would pretty much make your battery life worse than stock, so I guess the best option is to manually add in your city/location using your zip code than to have GPS on all the time just for the weather. I can't remember the threat with the manila weather manual edit, but it's here on ppcgeeks somewhere
Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
werd is born. my airave does same shit. pisses me off. same location. also yes it is nj. im in ny...has nothing too do with google or agps. I have my agps disabled. i even have a google account and set it manually to my location for starting point when it fires. it will show me correct as does my garmin. with airave on in in jackson. although past few day its said ny...first time sine tp2 had a 6.5 rom i seen that. maybe in release of update coming out. idk. but i shut the airave off it reads me 1 town away in location. funny thing is i can run google maps and it shows me correct.
So like I said it does go by your ip address. The ip address provided by the airwaves seems to be new jersey which is why you all see that as your location in wm 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8myfoood View Post
REAL GPS would pretty much make your battery life worse than stock, so I guess the best option is to manually add in your city/location using your zip code than to have GPS on all the time just for the weather. I can't remember the threat with the manila weather manual edit, but it's here on ppcgeeks somewhere
I keep my gps on all the time with no battery issues.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2