PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Boushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Boushh Send a message via MSN to Boushh
Question to Verizon users with the unlimited data plan

Okay, here's my deal. I'm paying for the expensive "unlimited data plan" with Verizon ($45), I'm also paying the tethering fee (yeah, I know I don't need to, but I still am). Until September 09 I had myself on self inflicted internets probation for the better part of two years so rarely even would get past 1GB a month in the tethering/data usage. Now I've moved and am using the internet more to work, and get work and I'm starting to get a bit worried.

There are alternating reports on the net about how unlimited this service is. Most reports talk about the $30 (I guess now the $25) web & email service though. Some reports claim it to be capped at 5GB a month, while others say it's unlimited. Others say that if you're paying the total of $60 a month (unlimited data plus tethering) it's capped at 10GB a month. One of the PPCGeeks members has in his signature his bill using almost 40GB and not being billed for it, but I don't know if that's just a photoshop job or something.

So, what I'd like to know from fellow Verizon 'geekers is this: Is there a straight answer? Do any of you normally use over 5GB/10GB and not get charged for it? Have any of you used over 5GB/10GB and gotten charged $0.05/MB for overages?

Please help me, I'm just looking for some straight answers because this is highly frustrating and I can't get a straight answer from Verizon!

LAWL
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Question to Verizon users with the unlimited data plan

i also use the $45 a month plan because I use the VZ wireless sync.

I tether with WMWifirouter & have never been charged anything extra although I certainly use over 5 gigs in a month at times (I use Sling Mobile a LOT).

~John
Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible / Touch Pro 2

NCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuffNCX Designs knows their stuff

From experience with working with Verizon reps before my employer closed down, "Unlimited" is called that because Verizon doesn't see the "average" user hitting the cap, which was at that time 2GB a month but with the new plans recently launched it might have been upped to 5GB.

If you like my work and want to donate, click here
Want to see my themes? Click here
If I helped you in any way, please click the "THANKS" button.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Boushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on repBoushh is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
i also use the $45 a month plan because I use the VZ wireless sync.

I tether with WMWifirouter & have never been charged anything extra although I certainly use over 5 gigs in a month at times (I use Sling Mobile a LOT).

~John
Thanks your your quick answer, one more question to you. Have you ever checked your online statement to see what kind of bandwidth you use at the end of your billing period?

Anyone elses experiences?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartz1 View Post
, "Unlimited" is called that because Verizon doesn't see the "average" user hitting the cap.
We have a VZ corporate account where I work & our rep says unlimited means exactly that. I have gotten different answers from different sources, but we have probably 70 phones on the account & we have never once gotten an extra charge & some of our employees use an awful lot of data.

Our workers can use their phones for whatever they want & I know some of the young guys use them to DL movies, torrents, stream video etc etc etc

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This is what mine looks like as of ten minutes ago...
I still have four days until the end of my cycle and may get over 5 gb. I often go over but haven't seen any reprecussions yet. It is a crap shoot though. If I do get some heat because of my data usage I'll have to say I stream a lot of music (which I do, thanks nanogroove). As you can see though there is no meter running on my "tethering".

I used to have the $45 + $15 thing going until I realized that my domestic data meter never went over zero because of all of the work of the people here. So now I am on the $30 per month "unlimited" data package and haven't yet run into any trouble because of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vzw.JPG (21.1 KB, 125 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by wesscoggin; 02-15-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

i have used close to 50 gigs in a month and wasnt charged for anymore then my unlimited data plan!! will post the pic when i get to a computer!! also the $45 data plan is mainly for blackberries and business lines!! so u are paying more for the same service!! and why are u paying for teathering

Last edited by Adrianh85; 02-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

@wesscoggin: See, that's what I'm nearly at and my billing cycle doesn't end until the 7th of March! I do a lot of non-linear video editing and uploading/downloading the large files is killing me, lol.

@Adrianh85: Holy cow! I would love to see a picture of that. I think if nothing else I could get some good evidence to support others actually having unlimited data if they try to charge me for going over. I pay the $45/mo because, like jmorton10 I use VZW wireless sync from time to time and the extra $15/mo isn't going to brake my bank, however $0.05/MB would quickly break my bank. As for why I still pay for the tethering, meh, I don't know, lol.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Exclamation Re: Question to Verizon users with the unlimited data plan

Pics uploaded!! FYI: this might just be my area!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boushh;1567807
@Adrianh85: Holy cow! I would love to see a picture of that. I think if nothing else I could get some good evidence to support others actually having [I
unlimited[/I] data if they try to charge me for going over. I pay the $45/mo because, like jmorton10 I use VZW wireless sync from time to time and the extra $15/mo isn't going to brake my bank, however $0.05/MB would quickly break my bank. As for why I still pay for the tethering, meh, I don't know, lol.
correction i used about 48 gigs and another one i used 38 at one time i was using my data connection as my main internet source ( due to moving and waiting till fios was offered in my area) and even today i use my connection as a mobile router for my car (via cradlepoint router) for my laptop and 360 when im out of town!!( a Modern Warfare addict)!!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

So, an interesting turn happened for me today. I went over the 5GB, just to see and this is what happened when I went to check my data usage....

Soooo.... Yeah, just thought I'd share...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2