PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SPB Back up - help me understand....

hi guys,
i just bought the SPB back up for my phone. now i was looking through the app and for the most part, it's very idiot proof. but apparently, not idiot proof enough for me . so before i did a back up, i wanted to ask you guys some questions. now im pretty sure that it works the same way as a pc back up, but on the pc, you can run any .exe files no problem. which brings me to my first question.

1. the back up files are in .exe. will i just be able to click on this back up file from my storage card and it will automatically run?...or will i need my pc for it?

2. what does the "create stand-alone" restorer mean in the options screen?

3. aside from the obvious fact of saving sd space, is there any other benefit(s) in picking high compression level as opposed to normal compression and/or vice versa?

any input is appreciated. thanks in advance guys and gals.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

HTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuffHTC_TP knows their stuff
Re: SPB Back up - help me understand....

1. The .exe backup file can simply be launched from your TP2, no need for a PC.

2. The Stand Alone Restorer will create a separate .exe restorer file will be created automatically in case the backup archives file was too big (depending on the device RAM size) to be launched directly. The file would be stored in the same folder as the backup archives file. When restoring you will be informed what device the
backup file came from and the date it was created.

3. I use compression to squeeze the file space on my backups and have not encountered any issues on restorations.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

Remember that you cannot use a backup made from one ROM and backup to another ROM.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Threadstarter

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

[QUOTE=Mojary;1554117]hi guys,
i just bought the SPB back up for my phone. now i was looking through the app and for the most part, it's very idiot proof. but apparently, not idiot proof enough for me . so before i did a back up, i wanted to ask you guys some questions. now im pretty s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC_TP View Post
2. The Stand Alone Restorer will create a separate .exe restorer file will be created automatically in case the backup archives file was too big (depending on the device RAM size) to be launched directly. The file would be stored in the same folder as the backup archives file. When restoring you will be informed what device the backup file came from and the date it was created.
correct me if im wrong pls. based on what you said, if lets say my RAM is down to 10%, is that when i will use the stand alone? since both of them are the same back up file, if i do need to use the back up, will it matter whether i use the exe file or stand alone if RAM was not a problem? finally, is it recommended to create a stand alone anyways? sorry for all the questions. just want to make sure i understand this if ever a time does come that i need this to save my phone files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo1965 View Post
Remember that you cannot use a backup made from one ROM and backup to another ROM.
its funny because i was actually thinking about this right before i logged in.

thanks guys for responding. i really do appreciate it!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2

mikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mikedboyd

The SPB backup program is getting very nice to use and pretty idiot proof. What they don't do is really explain all of their options to a level that a digger like me would prefer. Now - to your questions - the latest versions of the program automatically create the backup in a .exe format and if it's too big to run on its own it will drop the restore .exe into the same folder. You can use the option to force it to always create the restore program, but really not necessary. I flash new ROM's and hard reset for all kinds of reasons and use my backups a lot. I don't use the compress feature, but haven't heard any static about it. As far as the ROM versions go, SPB has a couple of interesting features. When you go to restore, the restore process will detect if you are restoring to a different device, different device type, or different ROM version (maybe more, not sure, read on their site for more details). Anyway, based on what it detects, it will offer to do a more limited restore. I have found these to work pretty well. I have not found any detailed information other than that the restore is limited to restoring items which will not harm the new device or ROM version, but not enough detailed info for me to really know what's going on.

Good program. You can rely on it.

Be sure to thank me IF I help .............................
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I basically have several email addresses I keep track of, 5 to be exact. And back them up. Everything else is moot point, because I change ROMs a lot. (Well I use to on the TP, the TP2 is still new so I might wait a week or two) but it sure saves me the time of setting up my email addresses. and I don't even have to install SPB first to restore it. Just click on the exe file on the SD card and follow the directions. When over I have all 5 email accounts set up for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Threadstarter

ok cool guys. thanks for helping me out. at least i feel a lot better today compared to yesterday when i bought the app. or at least feel more comfortable with the few options that you are given. i really appreciate everyone's help and input! thanks given to all of you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2