PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
memory problems 6.5.x. Use sd as extra ram?

OK, first I want to say that I did a quick search and saw other threads with this question for other phones including the TP1. The only real response was that it wouldnt be useful to increase the ram size because the phone couldnt handle running more programs that would utilize the space...

Well, as all of us that are using the newest custom ROMs with Sense 2.5 know, the memory usage is basically crap with needed programs hogging most of the space ( i know). Trying to run any other programs (youtube resulting in no sound and/or video for instance) results in crashes/freezes or random program shutdowns.

So my question is this: is there a way to use at least some of the sdcard space as extra phone memory (I dont need space for installing programs to) ala ready boost for windows vista?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

madmax2k1 is becoming a great contributor
Re: memory problems 6.5.x. Use sd as extra ram?

Do you mean using the SD card storage as virtual memory? I don't think WM supports Virtual Memory like Windows for PC.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzakre View Post
OK, first I want to say that I did a quick search and saw other threads with this question for other phones including the TP1. The only real response was that it wouldnt be useful to increase the ram size because the phone couldnt handle running more programs that would utilize the space...

Well, as all of us that are using the newest custom ROMs with Sense 2.5 know, the memory usage is basically crap with needed programs hogging most of the space ( i know). Trying to run any other programs (youtube resulting in no sound and/or video for instance) results in crashes/freezes or random program shutdowns.

So my question is this: is there a way to use at least some of the sdcard space as extra phone memory (I dont need space for installing programs to) ala ready boost for windows vista?
I've asked that question about using part of the SD card as RAM...and the short answer I got for that was a resounding NO.

On the other hand...if you're running Sense 2.5 and you're having issues with RAM usage or basically system slow down...especially during those lovely full screen weather animations. You can turn those animations off with a regedit. It makes a world of difference. My custom ROM (6.5.3, Sense 2.5) is actually "snappy" since I turned off the weather animations.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

your thread title is misleading. it makes reference to 6.5.x being the problem with memory, the reason you are having memory issues is because you are running manilla 2.5, thats whats giving you the out of memory error and whats causing programs to forcefully close.

and the answer to your question OP is "no"
Google is the next skynet
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep

nope wont work sadly. also 2.5 isnt that bad. depends on rom your on. mine at boot shows 53% under task manager...

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ur running software for a device with like 2x the HW Stats. what u expect?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Threadstarter

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff

I understand that the ROM itself is not made for my phone and Im OK with having occasional problems I was just wondering if it was possible as a fix. Sorry If the title of the thread wasnt clear but thanks for everyone that responded. I kinda figured it wasnt possible but thought Id ask anyway.

I LOVE 2.5 and mine also loads up pretty low on memory but after a few program openings and closings it tends to hover around 75-90%. Dont usually result in crashes but sometimes does. Nothing that would make me go back to 2.1 tho.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
nope wont work sadly. also 2.5 isnt that bad. depends on rom your on. mine at boot shows 53% under task manager...
i don't care what rom you're using manilla 2.5 has ram issues.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
extra space, memory, touch pro 2