PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung EPIC 4G
Carrier: WIMAX 4G

popularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to popularbelief420 Send a message via Yahoo to popularbelief420
Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported to TP2?

Just for discussion purposes.
Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported from a gutted HD2 to a gutted TP2? Any mad scientists out there thinking of creating a monster?
Just throwing a few ideas out there. If the processors in our phones were anything like custom motherboards and processors in PCs I might be down to throw some serious $$$ cash down and try it myself unfortunately I haven't seen any type of teardown on the TP2 or HD2 yet.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported to TP2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popularbelief420 View Post
Just for discussion purposes.
Could a SNAPDRAGON be imported from a gutted HD2 to a gutted TP2? Any mad scientists out there thinking of creating a monster?
Just throwing a few ideas out there. If the processors in our phones were anything like custom motherboards and processors in PCs I might be down to throw some serious $$$ cash down and try it myself unfortunately I haven't seen any type of teardown on the TP2 or HD2 yet.
That would be great, I dont know if its possible.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Its probably not worth the cost, might as well just get the actual snapdragon phone.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung EPIC 4G
Carrier: WIMAX 4G
Threadstarter

popularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpopularbelief420 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to popularbelief420 Send a message via Yahoo to popularbelief420

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
That would be great, I dont know if its possible.
could you imagine a world of real "SMARTPHONES"? Geeks putting i5 processors in them. upgrading the RAM to 6GB! Running ANY OS except the iPhone's . i see a beautiful world out there for ppcGeeks but the corporate wheels keep on turning. one day...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

A snapdragon, some more RAM, and a better camera (and a flash for the camera). Then we'd be set for a couple years.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Shift/Bold

tr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartr0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to tr0s Send a message via Yahoo to tr0s Send a message via Skype™ to tr0s

isn't the snapdragon a completely different class of processor than the current msm that we have? i remember back in my mogul days people were talking about transplanting ram from a vogue into a mogul but i don't think anyone actually did it. atleast in that case it was a similar device. in this case it's almost a moot argument/discussion as i seriously doubt it will ever happen.

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -- F. Bueller
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Well, if it's the same as trying to put a dual core processor into a single core mother board, then I would have to say "no" on that one.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobturismo View Post
Well, if it's the same as trying to put a dual core processor into a single core mother board, then I would have to say "no" on that one.
Or maybe more like swapping an AMD chip with an intel. But if this is possible it would be great. But from what I remembered when I took my first phone apart the chip was soldered on the board.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
Or maybe more like swapping an AMD chip with an intel. But if this is possible it would be great. But from what I remembered when I took my first phone apart the chip was soldered on the board.
Oh I'm sure it's soldered to the board, no doubt in my mind. The CPU is soldered to the board on most laptops, so I can't imagine a phone being any different.

But the question is, if we buy a better processor- could we then remove the old processor and solder the new one down and have it work (with better performance)?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2 -TO- HTC EVO 4G-TO-EVO 3D

yang704 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
Why i5 when you can get top of the line Core i7

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2