PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dumb I know but, is my TP2 a Smartphone or a PocketPC ?

Hello all

Here's a easy thank point getter

I now this is a dumb question but I keep coming across software for purchase that is listed as having one version for a Smartphone and one for a Pocket PC.

So what do I get for the Touch Pro 2?

Also can WM 5 or 6 be on either?

Also, is the WM6.1 on the TP2 the Pro version or not?
Can someone explain the basic dif between the pro and the regular?

Are the any other versions of WM6.1?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Dumb I know but, is my TP2 a Smartphone or a PocketPC ?

Pocket PC. Usually software labeled for smartphones is for phones without touchscreens
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6875US Touch Pro 2
Carrier: USCC

skuddy is keeping up the good workskuddy is keeping up the good work

WM 6.1 is proffessional because its for a phone that has a touch screen. 6.1 is regular if the phone doesnt have a touch screen. just like theres no 6.5 for a phone without a touch screen. please correct me if im wrong. but i was always under the assumption that a pocket pc was differentiated by the touch screen, and the smart phone being more of a candy bar.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned User
Carrier: T-mobile

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuddy View Post
WM 6.1 is proffessional because its for a phone that has a touch screen. 6.1 is regular if the phone doesnt have a touch screen. just like theres no 6.5 for a phone without a touch screen. please correct me if im wrong. but i was always under the assumption that a pocket pc was differentiated by the touch screen, and the smart phone being more of a candy bar.
Yes you are correct. When WM 6.1 hit, it changed the names. so technically:

WMo 5 and less with touchscreen: Windows Mobile Classic:Pocket PC
WMo 5 and less without touchscreen: Windows Mobile Classic:Smartphone
WMo 6 and up with touchscreen: Windows Mobile Professional
WMo 6 and up without touchscreen: Windows Mobile

but the Pocket PC vs. Smartphone stuff when it comes to software still applies to touchscreen vs. not touchscreen
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hey thanks for the replies,

One other question I had was, if you have a program that is made for say WM5 only and you try to put it on WM6, or if you had one that was for a smartphone and you tried to put it on a PocketPC, what most likely will happen?

Will there most likely be a warning message saying this program is not made for this version and it just won't load.

Or is it pretty easy to get the wrong version of a app on something so long as it was at least made for a WM OS .
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned User

rorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrorytmeadows is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Hey thanks for the replies,

One other question I had was, if you have a program that is made for say WM5 only and you try to put it on WM6, or if you had one that was for a smartphone and you tried to put it on a PocketPC, what most likely will happen?

Will there most likely be a warning message saying this program is not made for this version and it just won't load.

Or is it pretty easy to get the wrong version of a app on something so long as it was at least made for a WM OS .
It varies by application. Some let you play. Some are designed for both. Some will let you know.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I guess what maybe I was wondering about was, has anyone ever herd of a app trashing a OS or bricking a device as it was not the right version?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
I guess what maybe I was wondering about was, has anyone ever herd of a app trashing a OS or bricking a device as it was not the right version?
Not that i know of, but if something like that would happen you just have to hard reset your phone and it will all go back to normal, as it clears everything on your phone and restores the firmware back to stock setup.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Maybe. What happened?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Maybe. What happened?
Well nothing happened yet but what I am worried about is that I might by accident install something that would.

An btw, not that I am complaining about that reply but even though I have only had this, my first device such as this, for only a few weeks now, I have already made enough custom setups with the reg and installations of programs that if I even were able to do a hard rest to fix a incorrect install, while I guess it wouldn't be as bad as a brick, a complete wipe out would certainly be a bad issue as well.

Just tryin to be safe.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2