PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Display Alignment tends to wander

The original new TP2 I had was rock solid with its display alignment, and once I did it when I got the device, I never had to do it again. There was a problem with the "R" hard key on the keyboard, and I ended up with a refurbished one a couple of months ago. The alignment with this one is not nearly as stable.

When this first acted up, out of nowhere, it was like 1/4 to 1/2" off. It kept going off, and I ended up doing a hard reset. Since then it hasn't varied so widely, but it does get off a mm or 2, and I have to realign to gain better precision, perhaps once or twice a week.

Is this likely to be a hardware or software issue? I'm inclined to think hardware, but am relatively new to Windows Mobile devices, so wanted to check before I pursue another possible replacement device. This one is otherwise fine.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Display Alignment tends to wander

Refurbs tend to have issues since, after all, they were broken at one point in the recent past, right?. But Verizon tends to be reasonable with returns, especially if it's a hardware issue. Take your device back to the store and demand a new device (not a refurb). Explain to them that you paid for a new device and were, instead, given a defective used one and make them replace it
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I agree completely with you, Eschelon, although Verizon doesn't.

My first, brand-new TP2, had a defective "R" key, and only registered 1/2 the time, so new doesn't guarantee it will be free from defect. In any case, I put up with it for more than the 30-day window they give you to get a new replacement, although I was out of the country for a third of that time. I called Verizon, and after a very long phone conversation explaining these circumstances, was told that I would be sent a new TP2. I was pretty pleased with Verizon at that point, having come from Alltel, with much uncertainty about VZW.

This went all to hell when the device delivered was a refurb. I called back, and they refused to honor what the other rep had told me, and said it was a refurb or nothing. That is the phone I'm currently using.

My primary question here is whether or not the lack of stability in the screen alignment represents a hardware problem. If it is, I'm going to call back again, and push as hard as I can to get a new one. But based on my prior experience, I'm not real confident about the outcome.

My TP2 was ordered online, and the local store says they can't help.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I agree completely with you, Eschelon, although Verizon doesn't.

My first, brand-new TP2, had a defective "R" key, and only registered 1/2 the time, so new doesn't guarantee it will be free from defect. In any case, I put up with it for more than the 30-day window they give you to get a new replacement, although I was out of the country for a third of that time. I called Verizon, and after a very long phone conversation explaining these circumstances, was told that I would be sent a new TP2. I was pretty pleased with Verizon at that point, having come from Alltel, with much uncertainty about VZW.

This went all to hell when the device delivered was a refurb. I called back, and they refused to honor what the other rep had told me, and said it was a refurb or nothing. That is the phone I'm currently using.

My primary question here is whether or not the lack of stability in the screen alignment represents a hardware problem. If it is, I'm going to call back again, and push as hard as I can to get a new one. But based on my prior experience, I'm not real confident about the outcome.

My TP2 was ordered online, and the local store says they can't help.
Sorry to hear that. I've never had a problem returning a defective device to Verizon. To bad they won't do the same for you.

Anyway, to answer your question, the phone's calibration settings are stored in the following registry setting:

HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\CalibrationData

If this value isn't changing, then it is definitely a hardware issue
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
Sorry to hear that. I've never had a problem returning a defective device to Verizon. To bad they won't do the same for you.

Anyway, to answer your question, the phone's calibration settings are stored in the following registry setting:

HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\TOUCH\CalibrationData

If this value isn't changing, then it is definitely a hardware issue
Yeah, I was pretty pi$$ed about it.

Thanks for the registry key - I just wrote down the figures, and will check it if/when the alignment goes off again.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Happy to help. If the value doesn't change and it turns out it is a hardware issue, go back to the Verizon store and give 'em hell until they replace your device
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschelon View Post
Happy to help. If the value doesn't change and it turns out it is a hardware issue, go back to the Verizon store and give 'em hell until they replace your device
Will do, and I'll tell 'em 'Eschelon' sent me - that should get their attention!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Update:

I've been able to document this issue, having noted what the values were for the Calibration Registry key, and then last night finding that the alignment again seemed off 1 to 2 mm.

Initial Registry Key Values:

504, 528 780, 847 794, 204 223, 205 226, 8

Values after doing a re-alignment:

505, 540 788, 849 799, 226 226, 227 231, 8

Presumably these values are x/y coordinates, with the vertical being the first of the 2 pairs of values, since in 3 of the pairs, this has changed from 12 to 22 units (whatever they represent).

I feel that I am therefore justified in concluding that this represents a hardware malfunction, and will see what Verizon will do about it.

Also, there's a Shortcut, where simultaneously pressing the Up/Down Volume keys on the side would bring up the Alignment Screen. I had used this once before, but this also no longer seems to be working. Is there a Registry setting for this, or is this also a Hardware issue?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2