PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just built a great ROM with Calkulin's Kitchen, here is how

I just wanted to share my experience building a Custom ROM with Calkulin's Kitchen.

I had been running Energy's great ROM's but I started to notice resources were on the low side and it was due to stuff I never used. But I still wanted some of the latest and greatest. I don't care for the Mighty ROM themes.

I have unique needs that I don't do Music or MMS (which excludes probably 3/4 of you).
But that does not matter, configure things exactly the way YOU want with the Kitchen.

See the pictures showing my resources after soft reset.

I also attached my Kitchen Configuration file (GeorgeV8_ERV.zip)
You don't need this file, the default config will build a more typical ROM.
I stripped a lot of junk (to me) out.

The Kitchen is here, it's very easy to use. A simple tutorial I wrote is at the bottom of this post.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95635

I did customize the Kitchen with one Package XDA_UC. This allows you have all your CABs and Registry scripts automatically run at the end of flash. Most ROMs support this. The last screen shot shows my XDA_UC directory on my storage card to show you what is automatically installed and configured.

Here is the post containing XDA_UC package (not required, unless you use my .ERV file attached)

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...postcount=1802

I have everything I wanted from Energy's "loaded" ROM without the baggage I don't use.

Some the things I get using this ROM I didn't get before:

Many could be fixed but using kitchen was actually less work

-- Don't get that darn #777 popup message.
-- ALL my ##codes# work.
-- Tons of free Program and RAM space.
-- No search light
-- Provisioned on first boot with no prompts or wasted resources.
-- No noisey sprite on boot.
-- Although I love how Energy oraganized stuff and eye candy I had a hard time finding some things.
-- Right time zone on first boot
-- Unthemed, themes get old and use resources. Basic black is fine with me.
-- Latest Voice Command Flashed in.
-- Latest Opera Flashed in.
-- The Specific version of Google Maps I want flashed in.
-- Instant Hangup over blue tooth with active data session.

Here is a very short tutorial to use Calkulin's Kitchen that I sent to someone else and they managed to build a ROM using this minimal description.

================================================== =======
There is only a few things you need to do to start from scratch. It's easy. I was intimidated at first too. But it's very easy.

You can unpack the Kitchen using a free version of 7zip you can get it here: http://www.7-zip.org/

Open "Calkulin's Visual HTC Kitchen.exe" Up (Run as Admin under Vista or Win 7).

-- A Command Window will Open - Choose 1

Now the Kitchen tool will pop up.

-- Choose XIP Build, SYS Build (I always make them match).
-- Choose EXT Build like 6.5.X or 6.1
-- Where it says Device: "Touch Pro 2" just click dropdown and select it again, it will fill in a bunch of boxes for you.
-- Make Sure "Real WM 6.5 AKU" is Checked (it is not checked by default).

Double check these choices above before you create a ROM, because when you change one it will often reset another.

Now you can click the "Save ROM" button any time to save your current configuration.

Now Click the "Create ROM" button.

A Dialog Box will pop up at the end of the build to configure PagePool.

-- Hit the "Select..." button and choose the one NBH file that shows up.
-- Now just set ALL Fields to 0. (i.e. you just need to change the 6 to 0 by stepping it down). That will have the phone calculate page pool on it's own.
-- Now Hit "Change To"
-- Now Hit "Close".

Now the normal Flash ROM dialog pops up. You know what to do now.

To customize things just double click on a package or feature to change it from from false to true or visa versa.

Note: That some choices are often organized so you choose ONE of. Like ONE version of Manila or ONE color clock. When ever you see a set of choices gathered together you often set one true and another false such that only one choice remains true. You'll get the idea. Make small changes at first and work your way up.

Note: My GeorgeVx_ERV.zip attached file provisions itself for Sprint. You can change that in the Kitchen by switching from Sprint to your Provider before you click "Create ROM" button.

I change the last digit of the Version number and Save ROM before I flash each time. So I can always go back (using the "Load ROM" button) to load a previous working configuration and try again if I screwed up.

That's it. Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (6.7 KB, 343 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen03.jpg (10.6 KB, 313 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen04.jpg (20.1 KB, 263 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen05.jpg (13.4 KB, 285 views) Click for barcode!
Attached Files
File Type: zip GeorgeV8_ERV.zip (2.5 KB, 79 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by mswlogo; 01-18-2010 at 12:07 AM.
This post has been thanked 28 times.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Re: I just built a great ROM with Calkulin's Kitchen, here is how

I just noticed this morning that Hangup over Bluetooth headset with an active data session is INSTANT !! Whoo hoo.

I was gonna apply the disconnect tweak but held off just to see how it did with out it.
I may still apply it for battery (which I'm not sure how much it really helps) but for hang up purposes it works perfect without the disconnect tweak.

Last edited by mswlogo; 01-04-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I'm informed that Calkulin fixed the bluetooth hangup issue in the Kitchen itself. Not sure if that was a new bluetooth stack or what. I assume as new ROMs from chefs come out they will have it fixed too.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

dfrailey is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I did customize the Kitchen with one Package XDA_UC. This allows you have all your CABs and Registry scripts automatically run at the end of flash. Most ROMs support this. The last screen shot shows my XDA_UC directory on my storage card to show you what is automatically installed and configured.

Here is the post containing XDA_UC package (not required, unless you use my .ERV file attached)

[link snipped]

I have everything I wanted from Energy's "loaded" ROM without the baggage I don't use.
Firstly, thanks for providing this. (I'm new to the kitchen stuff and this was the first form of documentation or "howto" that I've seen on howto use Calkulin's Kitchen after quite a bit of browsing.)

The contents of the XDA_UC package referenced above doesn't match what shows in the last screen shot. Is it safe to presume this is because the XDA_UC package that was referenced is just a sample? (If yes, it might be helpful to make that a little clearer.)

Some of what you have in your XDA_UC screen shot seems like it might be useful (GPSGate, Hicalc, iNav, Opera 10 G-Sensor, PocketWeather, etc.). Any chance you could zip up your \Storage Card\XDA_UC directory and post it here? (Leave out anything that's not redistributable of course.)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Noobsauce
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

CellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I DL'd this kitchen last night and just tried to get a little familiar with it. Your guide is helpful but very basic. I have searched around for other guides and there doesn't seem to be much around. I would encourage you to write a little more in depth guide to help some of the kitchen noobs out. Things like how to add registry changes, cooking in extra software, cooking in themes, changing device information, etc. Some of this looks easy to figure out but since there isn't an in depth guide available, it would be a great comtribution to our community if you could take a little time and write one for us. If not, I will gladly do this myself once I figure it all out and become proficient at it.
how about, "superholyshitohmygodseriouslyyouguyslookatthis*** *ingmasterpieceivecreated"?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 20th Touch Pro

brokestudent12 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellGuy View Post
I DL'd this kitchen last night and just tried to get a little familiar with it. Your guide is helpful but very basic. I have searched around for other guides and there doesn't seem to be much around. I would encourage you to write a little more in depth guide to help some of the kitchen noobs out. Things like how to add registry changes, cooking in extra software, cooking in themes, changing device information, etc. Some of this looks easy to figure out but since there isn't an in depth guide available, it would be a great comtribution to our community if you could take a little time and write one for us. If not, I will gladly do this myself once I figure it all out and become proficient at it.
Excellent idea CellGuy! There are definitely no tutorials around for Calkulin's awesome kitchen. It would be great to have resources avail.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

There is a deeper tutorial for someone wanting more but I forget where the link is.
It's been posted a few times in Calkulin's kitchen thread.

My intent was this was just a kick start for newbies. Something I wish I could find when I started with it.

If I get some time I will add more. But to be honest I don't customize the kitchen all that much myself except add a few packages or copy a build from one version to another.

Also note I have downloaded other's "experts" enhancements to add to the kitchen and had nothing but trouble. Calkulin seems very meticulous and I stick with what he does because it works 99.9% of the time perfectly.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

oldgarfield is keeping up the good workoldgarfield is keeping up the good work

I'd love to see a tutorial as well.

Specifically, I am interested in:

1) How to include some registry tweaks

2) How to add my own cabs to the build

3) How to change default theme, ringtone etc.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

i will input any info that is needed to help!!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Noobsauce
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: USCC

CellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIPCellGuy is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
i will input any info that is needed to help!!

Maybe we should just start adding it to the WIKI?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2