PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry to be a noob but what is the dif between, TF3d, Manila & Sence?

Hello all

Sorry for such a noob question but as I've been seeing these talked about here, I was hoping someone could really put them more into perspective.

So what exactly are and are the differences between:

TouchFlo3D

Manila

Sense

Also what are the latest version of each and can I and/or should I update these on my stock Verizon TP2?

Thanks

Last edited by WBFAir; 12-31-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Lurker
Carrier: USCell

Spelvin is a n00b
Re: Sorry to be a noob but what is the dif between, TF3d, Manila & Sence?

+1

Coming from a Blackberry I have the same questions. I was pysched when I got my TP2 from USCell since they were selling it with WinMo 6.5 then I started watching video of TF3D 2.5 and was like "hey that is not on my phone, how do I do that!?" I had thought I had the latest version of what was available...
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Manila is kind of the broader word. TF3D was the original manila. Now, instead of TF3D we have Sense. Sense comes in two forms, 2.1 and 2.5. The 2.1 works pretty much flawless and is the "new stock" so to speak. 2.5 is the cutting edge manila at the time and up until recently has been a little buggy. I haven't tried any of the newer releases, but I understand that they are pretty stable now. If your phone doesn't have either then you need to unlock and flash a custom rom. There are stickies at the top of the upgrade section that walk you through that process. It is very simple. If you have problems along the way, search first, and then if you haven't found your answer ask questions. This is a wonderful community that is always willing to help. Welcome to WinMo.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks for the reply guys,

Ok so if understand this correctly.

Essentially Manila is both Touchflo3D and Sense?

TouchFlo3D is now called Sense?

The version of Sense I have on my TP2 is 2.1 but 2.5 is available.

So the question is, can I upgrade to Sense 2.5 without replacing my ROM or upgrading to WM6.5?

Also just to ask, how and where would I find the info on the versions I have.

Interestingly, I have looked at my initial settings menu an at the bottom it has a About TouchFLO 3D thing that reads, 2.1.38420.2

But then when I click on All Settings and go to the Systems tab and then, the TouchFLO icon it reads, TouchFLO for PocketPC Version 3.0 (Build 1194.3222).

Thanks

Last edited by WBFAir; 12-31-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Almost a VIP

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You need to upgrade your ROM..there is no other way to get Sense 2.5..If you have the animated weather on the home screen then that is Sense. If weather is only on the Weather Tab, that is plain ol TF3D..probably what you have if you are still running a stock ROM..I guess I was misleading, Sense is the new standard for custom roms. You should just unlock your phone and start flashing. It's fun, makes for a better phone, and you always get to try out the new stuff. Geezz, if I waited around for Sprint to push out a worthwhile update, I'll be on my TP3. lol
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Hello all

Sorry for such a noob question but as I've been seeing these talked about here, I was hoping someone could really put them more into perspective.

So what exactly are and are the differences between:

TouchFlo3D

Manila

Sense

Also what are the latest version of each and can I and/or should I update these on my stock Verizon TP2?

Thanks
ok as of right now sense is offically only on the touch hd2 (leo) based off the htc sence for andriod!!

manila is the general name of tf3d and sence ui!!

the verizon tp2 offical rom has tf3d 2.1 stock on it!!

they are all the same but just name rebranding first there was manilla > tf2d> tf3d> now theres sence!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah, I'm sure there's much more to it but I think I would really like to have that animated weather on the home screen so I may do this soon but I'm still working out the conifgs and learning how a WM Smartphone even works with the stock ROM and I think I would like to get that all set first, then do a backup of everything so in case anything goes wrong I can more easily restore everything I have done, then try some flashing.

All this stuff is pretty new to me as I've only been at it for about three days (haha) as all I've ever had before this was a V60s, but all here have been very very helpful and I'm learning quickly.

BTW it seems that many tout the MightROM one, so is this a good one to start off with as my first flash as it is good and stable?

At any rate, to get back on point, so essentially is TouchFLO 3D dead then?

In other words, will we never see a official TouchFlo 3D from what I am assuming is the manufacturer, HTC, and will only see Sense from now on or am I understanding this wrong?

Is Sense the version that is available to cookers and then TouchFLO 3D is not and is only released by HTC, is that how it works?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Almost a VIP

You don't see the cooked ROMs with standard TF3D anymore because it's dated. I suggest either Mighty ROM 12/30 release with the Sense 2.1 (as in my sig) or Silence 2.1 ROM..I can only suggest these 2 as they are the only ones I used on a day to day. They are both very stable and as close to a Stock upgrade I think you will find. Obviously I run Mighty as I have been using his ROMs since the early days of the Diamond.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Oh so do the Mighty's not have WM 6.5 and or Sense 2.5?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Oh so do the Mighty's not have WM 6.5 and or Sense 2.5?

Thanks
The Mighty I suggested is WinMo 6.5 with Sense 2.1, he does have some beta ROMs with 6.5 and Sense 2.5. For your first flash I would suggest sticking with the sense 2.1 build. Almost all custom ROMs now use Winmo 6.5..In fact a lot are using 6.5.1, 6.5.3, 6.5.5...stay away from those till you become a little more knowledgeable with you ppc..my advice anyway. Once you get used to the flashing process, then experiment with different ROMs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2