PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Best free registry edit program.

Hello all

Sorry for the typical, newbee...why don't you do a search for this answer kind of post but...

I just got a TP2 for Christmas and am quickly finding that I need to get into the registry and make some changes.

So what is the best free program for this?

Also as I don't know of such things.

Are there any programs for backing up the regisrty? Hopfully they would be something that would allow me to resintall it post-mess up.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: Best free registry edit program.

PHM Reg Edit. It has the option to restore to default

Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

jshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

Welcome to the TP2 world. I agree with David. PHM is a good free one.

I might recommend unlocking (if you havent done so) and just sticking with a good rom for a few weeks. Most chefs have incorporated most of the needed tweaks and its unlikely you'll need to change the registry for a while.

Just a suggestion. Enjoy the TP2!

Radio: 2.35.00WF
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hey guys and thanks for the ultra quick replies.

Yeah basically I'm really hoping I can adjust this TF3D touch sensitivity thing for now as its really keeping me for even being able to check out the device.

As far as unlocking it and or trying other ROM or anything else too radical at least for now the thing is I am very concerned about changing anything I might not be able to change back (or at least not knowing easily how to) just in case I need to send this back to VZ. And as well time is kind of a factor with that as I only have a few weeks here.

I should also mention that I bought it under the full retail MTH price as I don’t intend to keep Verizon for much longer so I’m weighing in on a $520.00 decision here that I don’t want any flack on from VZ if I want that back.

My thinking is as I am quite familiar with regular computers and the MS OS's, I'm thinking I can just write down what ever changes I make with the Reg editor and then change them back and delete the editor and that should make all that undetectable by VZ if they check out the device.

Once and if I decide to keep it I’ll have more time than now and have no problems with trying things after that.

Also one other dummy question, if I make a change to the Reg, to get that to be enacted do I just turn the device on and off or do I have to do some kind of reset?

Thanks again for the quick help.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Almost a VIP

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Hey guys and thanks for the ultra quick replies.

Yeah basically I'm really hoping I can adjust this TF3D touch sensitivity thing for now as its really keeping me for even being able to check out the device.

As far as unlocking it and or trying other ROM or anything else too radical at least for now the thing is I am very concerned about changing anything I might not be able to change back (or at least not knowing easily how to) just in case I need to send this back to VZ. And as well time is kind of a factor with that as I only have a few weeks here.

I should also mention that I bought it under the full retail MTH price as I don’t intend to keep Verizon for much longer so I’m weighing in on a $520.00 decision here that I don’t want any flack on from VZ if I want that back.

My thinking is as I am quite familiar with regular computers and the MS OS's, I'm thinking I can just write down what ever changes I make with the Reg editor and then change them back and delete the editor and that should make all that undetectable by VZ if they check out the device.

Once and if I decide to keep it I’ll have more time than now and have no problems with trying things after that.

Also one other dummy question, if I make a change to the Reg, to get that to be enacted do I just turn the device on and off or do I have to do some kind of reset?

Thanks again for the quick help.
If you want to adjust the sensitivity i would suggest hd tweak, it is a reg editor but your dont need to know the edits. it is very user friendly. After you make the edits just turn it off then on or press the reset button
Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks again for the ultra quick and great reply Dave

But and sorry for my ignorance of HD Tweek but with this program is there the possibility that maybe even natively it will make some changes that even if I uninstall it, it will leave some changes that will not be restored that if I try to send it back to VZ, they might say, ah you changed this, its yours now.

Sorry again for the ignorance but that $520.00 bucks I spent is kinda of a factor.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Thanks again for the ultra quick and great reply Dave

But and sorry for my ignorance of HD Tweek but with this program is there the possibility that maybe even natively it will make some changes that even if I uninstall it, it will leave some changes that will not be restored that if I try to send it back to VZ, they might say, ah you changed this, its yours now.

Sorry again for the ignorance but that $520.00 bucks I spent is kinda of a factor.

Thanks
If you do a hard reset it will restore everything including the registry so if you want to bring it back just do that first.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Oh OK, I think you may have replied that in another post I made.

So basically the completely native OS system and all its new out of the box settings are stored in a ROM memory type thing?

If you do this does it also remove any and all programs you may have installed and other things you installed such as music files and pics as well as any sync'ed contacts and such?

Does it basically wipe the device completely clean?

How about if you installed another OS ROM interface such as cooked 6.5 upgrade?

Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Oh OK, I think you may have replied that in another post I made.

So basically the completely native OS system and all its new out of the box settings are stored in a ROM memory type thing?

If you do this does it also remove any and all programs you may have installed and other things you installed such as music files and pics as well as any sync'ed contacts and such?

Does it basically wipe the device completely clean?

How about if you installed another OS ROM interface such as cooked 6.5 upgrade?

Thanks again.
It will restore it to the way it was when you first got it no programs, reg edits or anything. If uou have a different rom you will have to flash back to the stock rom then it will be restored to the way it was when you first got it. No matter what you do there is always a way to get back to factory default.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Man alive Dave, lol, I don't even get a change to get a cup of coffee before you reply.

Thats great and thanks for helping out a NB btw.

So a few more ?'s

First if I decide to try a new OS ROM, should I or is there a way to save my current one, I think I remember that this can't really be done but that the Verizons factory TP2 one is available now so is that the route that is to be taken?

Just find it and keep it handy?

2nd, so just to be clear, if I have a non-stock ROM, first I switch it back to the factory one, then do the hard reset then all is well?

In other words I don't ever want to do a hard reset with a non-stock ROM as this would brick it? Or is that OK it's just that it won't do a full restore?

Also one more silly question but, is the hard reset we are talking about one that would happen if I pushed that red rest button that is under the battery cover just above the memory slot? Or is there more?

Would the clear info thing be considered a soft reset?

Thanks and sorry for the continuing questions.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2