PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it ok to try different roms before activating?

I just got a new TP2 for Sprint. Before I activate the phone, will it hurt anything if I try some of the custom roms out there? I know many of the features that recquire cell service will not function. My thinking is that I can experiment while still using my old TP1 until I settle on a rom.

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX
Re: Is it ok to try different roms before activating?

I can't see how it would hurt anything, but I'm not sure that you'll get enough info to settle on one if all of the phone related functions are disabled. When I got my TP2 I couldn't wait to activate it. I took the box to work with me since it arrived just before it was time to leave and activated it online on my lunch break.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6875
Carrier: Verizon

twostep is just getting started

I don't think it'll hurt, but I agree with ^ on not getting a lot of info out of the ROM until its on. If it makes things any better, I haven't really had to reprogram (OTA) my phone from ROM to ROM, making it easier to try out a few.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

jmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuffjmy72 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to jmy72 Send a message via Yahoo to jmy72

Actually, thats exactly what I did, I ran a bunch of roms before I activated it, and just used wifi for internet to see what rom worked best for me. Once I chose the Mr. X rom, I set the phone up and activated it, no problems.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo

racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff

You probably will have to install a carrier cab or your phone won't provision. I've done that before.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostep View Post
I don't think it'll hurt, but I agree with ^ on not getting a lot of info out of the ROM until its on. If it makes things any better, I haven't really had to reprogram (OTA) my phone from ROM to ROM, making it easier to try out a few.
This is especially true for the OP. There is no need to reprogram at all between ROMs on Sprint. Once the phone is activated you are all set. We don't have to deal with activation codes or *228 BS with the exception of the initial MDN/MSID programming.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

steveholtam is keeping up the good worksteveholtam is keeping up the good work

Thanks for the replies. I've been researching roms for two weeks and still cant decide which to go with. lol! I just want to have my old phone working while I compare the different roms. There is so much to learn. It does not helping reading all the little bugs and flaws every roms seems to come with. I think Im going to go with Juicy first, since it seems to have the "look" I like. But I want to also install a xmas theme, and have to figure out if that is even possibile on Juicy.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2