PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

cjirishlez is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon replacement Omnia or Touch Pro 2

So I'm on my 5th omnia and now verizon is telling me I can either get a brand new Omnia or use my upgrade and get the Touch pro 2. I don't like that the omnia has a 5mp cam and the touch is much lower but I'm asking you guys who use the pro what you think its worth getting the phone.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 PM
VGhhbmtzIGZvciBwbGF5aW5nI
Pocket PC: Omnia II
Carrier: Telus

CovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIPCovKid66 is a VIP
Re: Verizon replacement Omnia or Touch Pro 2

Never used the Omnia...I could not be without a real keyboard. That would be the deal breaker for me personally -not the camera MP. But I guess it depends on how much you use the camera.

I guess you don't have the Hero as an option? That's a 5MP SIP only device like the Omnia.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

preference here is based on whether you need a keyboard. If you don't, get the omnia - it runs sense 2.5 as well (if not better in some respects) than our htc touch pro 2. Chainfire is a genius when it comes to putting devices to their full potential and I honestly recommend giving the omnia II a shot.

If that's a choice
if not, touch pro 2
Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Threadstarter

cjirishlez is a n00b

I want the omnia 2 but verizon will not see that as an equal replacement it's either I get another omnia refurbished, new or get the htc touch pro 2. they wont budge on the phone....I personally see the pro as a down step and thats why am asking what other people think. I use my cam a lot i have a 5yr old.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjirishlez View Post
So I'm on my 5th omnia and now verizon is telling me I can either get a brand new Omnia or use my upgrade and get the Touch pro 2. I don't like that the omnia has a 5mp cam and the touch is much lower but I'm asking you guys who use the pro what you think its worth getting the phone.
I actually owned an Omnia prior to buying my Touch Pro 2.

I really liked my Omnia with one exception. No physical keyboard.

I thought I could live without a physical keyboard when I first purchased my Omnia, but after about a month of using the virtual keyboard, I quickly missed the physical keyboard on my Voyager.

I was debating buying the first Touch Pro when I was looking at the Omnia, but I didn't like the smaller screen on the Touch Pro.

Verizon made me an offer I couldn't pass up about a month ago.

I was only about 10 months into my re-signed 2 year contract, but I received a text message and a flier in my mail box telling me that I could upgrade to a new Smart Phone at the promotional price.

The Touch Pro 2 was recently released for Verizon and I had been reading about it for months so I already knew I wanted this phone so I quickly jumped on that offer.

After having my Touch Pro 2 for about a month now I can honestly say that there isn't one thing on it that I don't like and I certainly don't miss my Omnia. Keep in mind that the only thing about the Omnia that I didn't like was the lack of a physical keyboard, but it's no comparison to the Touch Pro 2.

The camera on the Touch Pro 2 isn't even on the same level as the Omnia, but I look at it this way. My phone is a phone first and foremost, and everything else secondly. The camera on the Touch Pro 2 isn't necessarily bad, but it is worse than the Omnia. Having said that, it still does a decent enough job for those moments where you need a camera, but your cell phone is the only thing you have.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have an option to trade in your Omnia for a Touch Pro 2, you would be crazy not to. That's just my opinion though.

Not to mention the custom ROM's that are already out for the Touch Pro 2. I did have a custom ROM on my Omnia, but there are many, many more to chose from for the Touch Pro 2.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III
Carrier: Sprint

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I had an Omnia and absolutely loved it, the only thing I miss is the camera and lack of flash, but as noted above, the camera is not horrible on the TP2, and I think the hard keyboard and screen size makes up for it. You also don't have an FM radio on the TP2 but it's kinda like the camera issue... my phone is just that, a phone and if you want a radio or camera, use those items themselves. I haven't looked back since getting the TP2 and the camera will take just fine pics of the kid!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

razgriz1138 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to razgriz1138

I just upgraded from the Omnia to a TP2, and I am very happy. A lot of it is the same, except for TF3D, but I have to say the TP2 is faster, much more responsive, and it seems to do very well. I do miss my 8GB of storage and the 5mp camera with flash, but the speed of the TP2 as well as the keyboard make it well worth it.

Raz
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIP

I can't even believe this is a question. The TP2 is much more of a business device, and for the simple fact that there are ALOT more roms and "chatter" about the TP2, i'd go with the TP2. easy answer.

Radio: 2.35.00WF
Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

SecretAgentMan is keeping up the good workSecretAgentMan is keeping up the good work

I've never owned an Omnia, but have used my GF's extensively. The TP2 is leaps and bounds beyond the Omnia, with the exception of the camera, maybe. I found the Omnia to be totally laggy. Had it been mine, I would have put a couple rounds into it and moved on. I couldn't stand the goofy looking stylus hanging it from it, either.

The TP2 is much more responsive and has a physical keyboard, which may or may not be important to you. I only use the camera sporatically . . . it's not a replacement for a real camera.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2