PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

otterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Latitude Update Position

Is there a trick to get Google Latitude to run in the background? For some reason, my location is not updated unless I have Google Maps running on the screen. My position on the map updates automatically (as designed).

My location shifts to New York City whenever I open another application or try to have Latitude run after I tell Google to continue updating my position after I close the map.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff
Re: Google Latitude Update Position

I don't think Latitude works as a tracker. It updates when you refresh, or when you close the program.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

abdeviation is keeping up the good workabdeviation is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.16823/1226; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

it is supposed to work as a tracker.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:49 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

How? I've never seen it work as one. Just an update on a location. It doesn't continually refresh locations (when viewing friends locations, or update your location to latitude). It only tracks your location in the program - not uploaded to the Latitude servers. I would love to be proven wrong so I can use it as a tracker. I currently use TrackMe. Has live tracking.

P.S. Just to reiterate, We're talking about Google Maps Latitude tracking, not Google Maps GPS tracking. Of course Google Maps tracks your location in real time and shows it on the map, but it does not track it with Latitude.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

abdeviation is keeping up the good workabdeviation is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Sprint Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.16823/1226; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

after you quit google maps, it asks you whether u'd like it to continue updating ur location to ur latitude friends. i think it uses cell tower triangulation after its shut off to save battery. Now how well and frequently it updates is something i have yet to figure out. My friends are able to see where i am even though i havent opened google maps after changing location. My gf's latitude location is usually continually updated and i know for a fact that she has not opened google maps after the first time i tried to show her how useful it can be and showed her latitude. she is on a blackberry storm though. regardless, the whole point of latitude IS behind the scenes location updates
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro & Touch

delawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardelawaresace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Its not Google's faltered, its sprints. They wont let Google latitude triangulat your position in the background. You have to keep it running. Of course that kills your battery
Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaresace View Post
Its not Google's faltered, its sprints. They wont let Google latitude triangulat your position in the background. You have to keep it running. Of course that kills your battery
AFLT does not kill battery, in fact it is negligible on battery use especially compared to GPS.

Google Maps v3.2.1 updates my position when in the background on my Sprint TP2. My friend's DROID updates automatically about every 15 minutes. This also works on the Treo Pro and Intrepid with no issues.

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim about Sprint in particular not allowing this? Because that's the first I've heard of it. Part of the updates prior to v3.2.1 was to fix the "running the background" issue on devices.

For the OP: there may be a discrepancy between what is reported to others and having to refresh your screen. How are you verifying your position? On our device or another phone/computer? It's only through the latter can you really know. Google Maps won't download maps and run the program when it just needs to update your position for others--it makes processing sense to only update your own map when you refresh.

Last edited by Malatesta; 12-18-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:51 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!

Guys, I'm telling you, Google Maps LATITUDE will not provide real time location. Period. Only Google maps will provide real time on your phone. If you want a friend to track you live, the get TrackMe - NOT Google Maps. If you think I'm worng, send me a PM and I'll add you as a friend on Latitude, then see if it updates (which it wont). I know it won't.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post
Guys, I'm telling you, Google Maps LATITUDE will not provide real time location. Period. Only Google maps will provide real time on your phone. If you want a friend to track you live, the get TrackMe - NOT Google Maps. If you think I'm worng, send me a PM and I'll add you as a friend on Latitude, then see if it updates (which it wont). I know it won't.
I beg to differ.

A friend of mine got a Droid - it'll update its location all of the time... but sure, it's running Android.

The same doesn't really work in WM. No, Latitude isn't live tracking, but it's not supposed to be. Updates happen every couple of minutes (or upon request). I've never seen an update be more than 5 minutes out of date when we're trying to find each other (longboarding around town).

I wish my phone would update in the background based on cell tower location, but it won't seem to update anything except a real GPS lock. Sigh. Droid Does it better.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!

The droid version has Navigation, so I would also assume it has more cool features, but either way, we can't get it to track. I do wish we could though. I go on motorcycle rides with friends, and it would be nice to see everyone's real time location on my map, but it won't.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2