PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Request for a couple quick links: Flash + UPgrade direction please :)

Hi everyone,

I have a couple quick questions about Flashing and Upgrading/Installing one of 2 custom ROM's I've done a lot of research on. I know the motto here (which I agree with and have been living by) is read, read, read. I just wanted to ask for some direction on the proper links to visit or steps to take in the right order, and I'll do all the home work and reading on my own, I just am brand-spanking-new to the Flashing procedures and am humbly asking for some help from the pros here!

Here is what I'm trying to do, and I would truly greatly appreciate any help...

I have a 100% factory fresh Verizon TP2 (just got it FedEx 6 days ago)
-I would like to Flash the ROM
-I would like to install/upgrade to one of the following
a) MightyROM
b) Mr. X

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lets pretend (cause its true, lol!) that I'm a total newbie who just unwrapped their Verizon TP2, and want to accomplish the above 2 tasks from scratch. *What tools do I need to download, what order to I do it, and what links and .CAB's do I need to visit and download?

Thank you SO MUCH!
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Request for a couple quick links: Flash + UPgrade direction please :)

you need to change phone info and this link on where to post.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78089
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
you need to change phone info and this link on where to post.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78089
Done, that was ironic before I read that I went to CP and changed my phone to the Verizon TP2 since I forgot to when it came in the mail, thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

First of all you posted in wrong section, make sure you post your questions about TP2 in main TP2 section, unless you made or want to comment on a ROM. Anyways as we wait for this to get moved:
1) Unlock your TP2
2) After and only after you unlocked it - flash the ROM of your liking from CDMA section
3) Sip your spiked latte and search here, the net or MarketPlace(app on TP2) for Windows mobile apps you like

When you can tether for free?: D

Last edited by pesok; 12-07-2009 at 07:15 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

lallen3 is becoming a great contributor

Wow... posting police strike again
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok View Post
First of all you posted in wrong section, make sure you post your questions about TP2 in main TP2 section, unless you made or want to comment on a ROM. Anyways as we wait for this to get moved:
1) Unlock your TP2
2) After and only after you unlocked it - flash the ROM of your liking from CDMA section
3) Sip your spiked latte and search here, the net or MarketPlace(app on TP2) for Windows mobile apps you like
Oh, so flashing IS the SAME as upgrading to Mr. X or MightyROM? I thought they were 2 different steps, THANKS!

Looks like I need to unlock, and find a good flashing tool then? I was told installing new ROM's was easiest from the microSD card within my TP2 right now; so I can simply download the ROM .CAB's to the internal microSD card and install from there at will once I unlock the phone? Thanks for the link(s)!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy S4 and Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint(03/09-Now), T-Mobile(06/06-now)

pesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuffpesok knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Oh, so flashing IS the SAME as upgrading to Mr. X or MightyROM? I thought they were 2 different steps, THANKS!

Looks like I need to unlock, and find a good flashing tool then? I was told installing new ROM's was easiest from the microSD card within my TP2 right now; so I can simply download the ROM .CAB's to the internal microSD card and install from there at will once I unlock the phone? Thanks for the link(s)!
Flashing is the term used when you do any modifications to internal flash memory(not to be confused with storage, RAM or microsd card), so unlocking, radio, ROM etc... will require your device to be "flashed"(TP2 has 512mb of flash memory and no you cannot put your pics there unless they are cooked(process of making a ROM) into ROM). Upgrading is simply flashing a new version of the same ROM or even a different ROM with better/newer soft.

You can do it via microsd but i had really bad experience with that method when my microsd decided to go to heaven during the flash(yes i know with PC method i can loose electricity etc.. as well) so now i only use PC method. Its quite easy, here are complete steps:
1) Make sure you TP2 is at least 50% battery
2) Unlock your device
3) Download and unzip(if zipped) ROM of your liking(make sure you unlocked you device prior - very crucial)
4) Connect TP2 to PC with (extended or regular)mini-usb to USB cord
5) Make sure it says "connected"(does not have to by synced just connected) in either ActiveSync(WinXP or prior) or WMDC (Vista/7)
6) Double click on ROMUpdateUtility.exe(could be called something else but its exe file in folder of your new ROM on pc)
7) Click next about gazillion times, and wait about 2 mins(it says 10 but its much faster)- DO NOT DISCONNECT TP2 FROM PC DURING UPDATE!!!
After PC screen says done(not before that!!!) you can disconect TP2 and follow set up instructions after it resets

Thats all folks, by the way thank you for clicking thanks under my prev post, its much faster than just posting thanks and people here appreciate it a lot more
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Bit of a kink here... been trying for a while to get the TP2 Unlock (hard spl) to work, and figured out why it isn't working - I need to be online evidently.

Well, problem with that is... my TP2 IS my modem and my only means of getting online; so now I am unable to use either auto or manual Flash!? I have a 2nd phone with tethering capabilities to perhaps get online, but that just confuses the crap out of ActiveSync. There is no other method or way of initiating the Unlock?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

GOT EVERYTHING SORTED OUT... I am not a proud MightyFIED member of the TP2 gang!

I ended up having to connect my 2 laptops with an Ethernet cable, turn ICS on, use the first cell phone as the modem on the primary laptop... and then run hard-spl with my TP2 hooked up to the 2nd laptop using the shared internet connection while it was active-synced! THANKS SO MUCH TO smopoim86 for all the great help, and everyone else who helped out - you guys are awesome!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2