PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

almoreno2k is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car Charger

My sprint mogul will not charge in the car anymore. It charges at home and on the computer, but will not even light up when plugged into the car charger. So far I've bought 2 different car chargers from bb then tried my friends sprint car charger, then went back to bb to buy a usb port car charger and still no dice. I even plugged the spliter (headphones and power) with the charger and it still wont light up. I took it to sprint and the tech says that htc phone's(touch,touch pro, mogul) arent meant to charge with a car & sometimes it works and sometimes it won't. Since it charges at home and on the computer they can't do anything about it since it does charge. What can I do or buy?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 AM
cagrant

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Car Charger

i purchased a blackberry charger for my car and it works fine. i also have a moto charger for home and car and either one is hit or miss, sometimes it does and other not . it has to do with the size they are shorter and dont make good contact. hope this helps
Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagrant View Post
i purchased a blackberry charger for my car and it works fine. i also have a moto charger for home and car and either one is hit or miss, sometimes it does and other not . it has to do with the size they are shorter and dont make good contact. hope this helps

Thanks I'll have to try the blackberry one and report back. I've bought the moto was one of the ones I bought from bb along with their rocketfish one.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by almoreno2k View Post
Thanks I'll have to try the blackberry one and report back. I've bought the moto was one of the ones I bought from bb along with their rocketfish one.

well I tried the blackberry one and still no dice.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:30 AM
cagrant

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i know this mundane, and you probably did this but do you have power to the cig. lighter. thats what it starting to sound like.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 6850

travissand is becoming a great contributor

its too hot in the car. the phone wont charge when its hot. try putting the ac vent on it. or in the wind out the window. Keep the sun from hitting it.
Also here is my interesting theory:

A USB device must indicate its speed by pulling either the D+ or D- line high to 3.3 volts. These pull up resistors at the device end will also be used by the host or hub to detect the presence of a device connected to its port. In the end the mogul may think its plugged into a computer when its actually plugged into a cheap charger. This can cause the mogul to accept only a slow charge trying to avoid drawing too much power from the usb port. Most ports are rated for only around 500mA thats not enough to charge and talk at the same time.

You say the charge light wont light up in the car? Ok so its not part of my theory.

Must be heat then. When my mogul heated up and didnt charge i think the light changed to red. If you Cant figure it out dont trade it in for a touch pro because i have one and it has a major overheating problem compared to the mogul. But its worth it. The touch pro kicks the moguls ***. But I do mis the real hardware buttons the mogul had. I heard there is no problem with the touch pro 2 overheating if you like the larger screen and LACK OF FLASHLIGHT #%&@. I do, i'm upgrading soon. (notice I called it a flashlight not a camera flash because thats what every one is using ti for).

Your tech guy at sprint knows nothing. Take it back to sprint and demand a free touch pro 2 because they dont have the overheating problem you wont be sorry.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagrant View Post
i know this mundane, and you probably did this but do you have power to the cig. lighter. thats what it starting to sound like.

yea the cig. lighter and the other 2 are working because they charge my ipod.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by travissand View Post
its too hot in the car. the phone wont charge when its hot. try putting the ac vent on it. or in the wind out the window. Keep the sun from hitting it.
Also here is my interesting theory:

A USB device must indicate its speed by pulling either the D+ or D- line high to 3.3 volts. These pull up resistors at the device end will also be used by the host or hub to detect the presence of a device connected to its port. In the end the mogul may think its plugged into a computer when its actually plugged into a cheap charger. This can cause the mogul to accept only a slow charge trying to avoid drawing too much power from the usb port. Most ports are rated for only around 500mA thats not enough to charge and talk at the same time.

You say the charge light wont light up in the car? Ok so its not part of my theory.

Must be heat then. When my mogul heated up and didnt charge i think the light changed to red. If you Cant figure it out dont trade it in for a touch pro because i have one and it has a major overheating problem compared to the mogul. But its worth it. The touch pro kicks the moguls ***. But I do mis the real hardware buttons the mogul had. I heard there is no problem with the touch pro 2 overheating if you like the larger screen and LACK OF FLASHLIGHT #%&@. I do, i'm upgrading soon. (notice I called it a flashlight not a camera flash because thats what every one is using ti for).

Your tech guy at sprint knows nothing. Take it back to sprint and demand a free touch pro 2 because they dont have the overheating problem you wont be sorry.
Not the heat since i park in a garage and it's pretty cool in the garage. and when im driving i crank the ac so not the heat. believe me i plan on upgrading to the touch pro 2, i wanted it when it came out but the GF's b-day took priority over a new phone so i'll wait till after the holiday's. But then came into play the HD2, and if sprint get's that then i will wait for that one.

sprint said they could not do anything for me since it does charge at home and on the computer. more than likely if they did they will probably give me another mogul.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

almoreno2k is a n00b

Well I finally found one after taking advise from a buddy of going to Radio Shack. The brand is called iGo, the charger itself was $25 and you also have to buy the interchangeable tips $10 to fit whatever device you want to charge.

now,

I'm looking for a battery powered portable charger (Something that I can change out batteries if I need to) that I can hook up to my phone if I'm not around a wall outlet or car outlet(Traveling).
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: VZW

BoSoxFan is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to BoSoxFan Send a message via AIM to BoSoxFan

http://www.powerstream.com/BP-23.htm

I have had a couple of these before that i used with my ham and scanner radios, they have larger 20 Ah also, just depends on how long you may need it, but they work great for some portable power and phones pull such low current it will keep the phone charging many times before needed to be charged back up itself and you can charge it in the car or from a wall-wart....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan