PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Lurker

TheRealJobe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi Promiscuous mode

I have tried using Airscanner Sniffer, but it says the hardware does not support promiscuous mode. I was wondering if this is a driver issue specific to Airscanner or if this is a hardware restriction.

I have been told that ministumbler works, but I dont know if that app uses promiscuous mode to grab packets....

I'm looking for an all in one great wifi pen app, but may be spinning wheels if hardware restrictions are not going to allow promiscuous mode.

Has anyone come across any good apps that work on the 6800?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
It's not going to happen. Even if you could find drivers that will allow monitor mode (which you won't), you still couldn't do injection and without that, you're just wasting your time.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
dcd
VIP Member

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
that is not true. while injection would greatly decrease the time required to gather sufficient traffic for key cracking, its not a requirement. id be happy if i could just find something to capture packets on ppc, ill crack it later on my desktop pc.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I never said injection was a requirement. I just said that trying to crack a network with your PDA without injection is a waste of time.

The only real-world use of mobile cracking software would be to quickly crack a network so that you can get online right then and there. Without injection, you're going to be waiting way too long to make the software useful.

How often are you in the same spot for hours, except for work, school, or home? Without injection, you'll be waiting for several hours at the minimum. A more likely time frame is one to four weeks.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
dcd
VIP Member

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
ok i misunderstood. doesnt that one to four week timeframe depend on the amount of data flowing? gigs cross my wireless daily...

my real world scenario is that the bar i frequent has a visible ap and cablemodem, but runs WEP. i have reason to beleive they have traffic flowing constantly, but i have no idea how much. I live in a 1xRTT area and I want broadband at the bar may sound silly to some, but if an app would let me capture packets for later cracking on the pc... i spend hours at a time in this place

gbm85, can you explain to me why packet injection is impossible on ppc platform? thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
dcd
VIP Member

however to answer the OP, wififofum works in promiscuous mode on the mogul.

doesnt do much more than ministumbler though. you can scan for networks and see a list of ssids, macs, and encryption type.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker

It's not so much that injection is impossible, just that it's very unlikely. Even on the PC front, very few chipsets support injection, and even those require patched drivers. There is a monitor mode driver out there for the TIACX module found in many PPCs, but I have never read about anyone actually getting it to work.

It would be a lot easier to either bring your laptop into the bar, or if you're worried about getting looks, you could just get an AC inverter for your car and leave your laptop in there.

Yes, the time it takes greatly depends on how active the network is. On a very busy network, it could be only a few hours. However, on the "average" home or small business network, a week is much more likely.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
dcd
VIP Member

for this particular case, im worried about getting looks, but thats also a valid point in general...ppcs would make an awesome wep cracking/wifi monitoring device because they are inconspicuous. i have a (slow) inspiron running freebsd for wardriving, but my handheld bandwidth at the bar isnt a large enough concern to go park... just a thought.

good old orinoco pcmcia....
Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul & AT&T Moto Q9h
Carrier: Sprint+AT&T

Statikk is a n00b
Ypu could try some social engineering...If you spend a lot of time at this bar then you must be spending $$ as well. You could always make friends with employees and ask them for access strictly for browsing purposes. I know I'd give you the key if you were a regular and it was my bar.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
dcd
VIP Member

dude, that would take all the fun out of it!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan